Menu

Resume question for student resume

Toocrazy!!

DS is 20 and a PT college student looking for a job. He volunteered at the local boys and girls club for 4 years and then when he graduated they offered him a paid position for the summer. 
Resumes seem to always be asking for measurable results- this seems like something he could say here- almost like a promotion, but not. 
Any ideas? 

Measurable results would be things like:  increased sales by 10%, increased customer retention by 20%, reduced wasted by streamlining the admissions process, doubled student participation, etc. These would be results for the employer; a promotion would not be included as one of these results.

I agree that there should be two separate listings, one as a volunteer and one as a paid employee 

• Like 2

If he's not listing volunteer work separately, I would call the section Work Experience (rather than employment), and include that one as something like this:

Boys and Girls Club ([date]-[date] as a volunteer; [date]-[date] as an employee): [what he did in this position]

(But I have not dealt with resumes in a very long time, so take my thoughts with however many grains of salt are necessary!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dd has something similar on her resume--

She was an 'unpaid' worker in a lab on campus and then that converted to a paid position.

On her resume it has her unpaid period listed as 'volunteer' and a separate listing as paid position (so the 2 are listed separately).

I would put the volunteer work on there.  Even if it isn't directly related to the type of work he is applying for it shows responsibility, follow through, consistency, community mindfulness, and many other qualities that employers consider helpful.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's great that your son has experience volunteering and working at the local boys and girls club! When it comes to measurable results, he could mention how he helped increase attendance or engagement with activities during his time there. He could also mention any positive feedback or recognition he received from supervisors or parents. Good luck with the job search!

I would also put your son's volunteering work there. It characterizes him as a responsible and kind person. Don't forget that though we all are applied according to our educational and professional level, we are still people, and I think every employer wants to have a friendly atmosphere at the workplace. When I had to write my resume, I looked through the best seo resume samples, and some of them included volunteering activities.