Menu

So frustrated (neck problems)

Carrie12345

Wednesday night, I was standing in the kitchen, making dinner and talking to my people. I turned funny and felt a crunch/pop/something in my neck.  
36 hours later, it was worse instead of better. My PCP had no openings, so I was told to go to express care. Express care didn’t want me and sent me to the ER.  
The ER was slammed, but they slapped a collar on me and gave me a room for a few hours. Got an MRI that showed no fracture (thank goodness) but seems to say my arthritis has progressed, plus other words I don’t know. They told me to see a spine guy asap. They gave me opioids for 3.5 days and muscle relaxers for about 5 days.

The first appointment I could get is 2.5 weeks from today. Only because I agreed to go to any office at any distance. And they won’t give me any advice on what I can or cannot/should or should not do for the next 2.5 weeks before I can be seen.

I have regained a good deal of neck mobility since Friday night. Definitely not normal range of motion, but a huge difference. No idea if that’s just because of either drug or from healing or from a combination.

I’m looking forward to being off the pain meds in the morning and moving to OTC stuff if needed, but I’m afraid to find out how my neck is off of the muscle relaxers. And I’m feeling sluggish without exercise, and hate the thought of giving that up for 2.5 weeks.

I wasn’t able to drive because of restricted mobility and then drugs, and have no idea whether or not I’ll retain enough motion for safe driving before being seen.

I don’t ever want to hear another person talk about universal health care causing long wait times. 

• Sad 11

Since you have regained some movement, that's a good sign.  Several doctors have told me that issues like this tend to resolve in a week or two without treatment, so maybe that's what's happening.  While you wait for your appointment, you may want to consider massaging your upper trapezius muscles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ugh.  Sorry!  What you describe happens to me on a semi-regular basis and it really stinks.  I am currently recovering from a neck "pop" from two weeks ago.  It is nearly gone now but I can still tell it happened.  I feel it happen every time.  An innocent little "ping" or "pop" and I know I am going to be a world of hurt within 24 hours.  Driving is the hardest.  I find topical Biofreeze (or any other similar type thing) to be helpful.  I cannot handle most pain killers so I don't have a lot of other options.  I save it for when I know I need to do things that will be especially painful like driving or right before bed.  

Hugs. It's tough being out of commission.

If you are open to suggestions, you can continue to read below. If you just wanted to vent and not get suggestions, feel free to ignore and just keep the hugs.

Magnesium "oil" is fantastic for muscle knots, pain, tightness. Dissolve these magnesium flakes into water and apply to tight muscles. When it dries you may get itchy skin, so you can shower or wipe off about 30 minutes after applying if that happens.

Can you at least walk and/or do lower body exercises to keep you from feeling too sluggish while you wait for the neck to heal?

Please don't go to a chiropractor for this. I know many go there and swear by them, but one left my mom essentially unable to move until she had surgery on her neck. If you want to look at something similar go to a physical therapist especially if you are close to a university with a sports program.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

You have no nerve pain or numbness/tingling going down your arm and/or into your hands/fingers?

Not especially.  I say not especially because I do get that now and then and have been to PT for it. It hasn’t increased with this, it’s stayed about every other night or so (only while sleeping.)

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Not especially.  I say not especially because I do get that now and then and have been to PT for it. It hasn’t increased with this, it’s stayed about every other night or so (only while sleeping.)

Given that this is the case, that sounds hopeful to me. If they referred to arthritis, my guess is that there is some disc compression or bone spurs. Without nerve pain, what you're talking about is muscle tension. You may be able to resolve this with PT over 6-8 weeks, and I would bet you'll feel a lot of relief in the first couple weeks of PT. 

In your shoes, I would push hard for an earlier consultation (call for cancellations) and physical therapy as quickly as can be managed. I suspect physical therapy will be the real game changer.

Another option to consider along with PT are MET adjustments (muscle energy technique)--these are extremely gentle. So gentle, in fact, that I thought it was probably woo when I first tried it. My physical therapist insisted that I try these adjustments from a different PT that she knew. The PT will place you in a weird position and you will either resist pressure, or push against something, or pull something. In doing so, the motion + position gently tugs everything into place. It is all extremely gentle--there is no forceful pushing as chiropractors do--and it's very effective. It's been miraculous for me.

In the meantime, try to do all the muscle relaxing you can possibly do--use BenGay or a liniment spray sometimes and magnesium cream at other times (or take magnesium supplements). Magnesium can actually be quite an amazing muscle relaxer. Make a rice sock or two (raw rice in a clean tube sock knotted at the opening), heat in the microwave (don't overdo it!) and let the heat help keep those muscles relaxed. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Another option to consider along with PT are MET adjustments (muscle energy technique)--these are extremely gentle. So gentle, in fact, that I thought it was probably woo when I first tried it. My physical therapist insisted that I try these adjustments from a different PT that she knew. The PT will place you in a weird position and you will either resist pressure, or push against something, or pull something. In doing so, the motion + position gently tugs everything into place. It is all extremely gentle--there is no forceful pushing as chiropractors do--and it's very effective. It's been miraculous for me.

This sounds like the techniques used in osteopathic manipulation.  I had a PT do that with me a few times, and it was amazing, but all PTs don't do it.  OP, if you are able to find an osteopath who does this as part of their practice, that's another option for you.  (Some don't.)  

3 hours ago, klmama said:

This sounds like the techniques used in osteopathic manipulation.  I had a PT do that with me a few times, and it was amazing, but all PTs don't do it.  OP, if you are able to find an osteopath who does this as part of their practice, that's another option for you.  (Some don't.)  

My understanding is that the PT has to have training and a specific certification. I would say most PTs do not do these types of manipulations—you have to ask specifically to find one.

12 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

My understanding is that the PT has to have training and a specific certification. I would say most PTs do not do these types of manipulations—you have to ask specifically to find one.

I don’t know what the words are for what my PT did when I went for hand nerve stuff, but it was heaven!  I am hoping the spine people send me back to her!

Had my first day off major pain meds, and it was okay. Took Advil and was more… uncomfortable than in pain. Ended up getting a little twinge this morning playing with the big dog. Mobility is still decent enough that I drove last night, but sudden moves are no good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t know what the words are for what my PT did when I went for hand nerve stuff, but it was heaven!  I am hoping the spine people send me back to her!

Had my first day off major pain meds, and it was okay. Took Advil and was more… uncomfortable than in pain. Ended up getting a little twinge this morning playing with the big dog. Mobility is still decent enough that I drove last night, but sudden moves are no good.

I’m glad it’s manageable. Stay proactive keeping those muscles as relaxed as possible. You might find that combining ibuprofen and acetaminophen is effective as well. 

• Like 1