Menu

Minimalist math curriculum

Malam

I don't think this would go over well in my house, even though I was an engineer and my kids are super mathy with multi-generational math genes from both sides of the family.

For my ridiculously mathy child it'd be hard for us because it feels like we wouldn't be able to skip around, or "test" out of entire topics (downloading first grade the topics seem very mixed in every week). The math he likes, for reference, is Beast Academy because it presents him with the math concepts then gives him related problems including some hard problems that he has to think through. Since it's somewhat topical he can always ask if he can demonstrate the skill and skip if he is bored or ask if he can come back to a topic or more help on a topic if the current topic is too frustrating.

My regular mathy child would probably be fine on any traditional math curricula. I think this would suck the joy out of math for her because she loves all the random problems involving lollipops and ducks. She likes having a couple of problems that make her feel like a winner and that she knows the material.

Philosophically, I feel like I would struggle with it because I don't want math (or most parts of our education) to feel like something we just check off. So I'd like a lot more why are we learning this than 10 random math problems for them to solve a week. I guess I could supplement that alongside the 10 problems a week but then why wouldn't I just use some of those "traditional" math curriculums that already incorporate. I know some people in my homeschool circle who would love this but I don't see eye to eye with them on the purpose of school.  

Of course maybe this isn't for me because we have very few tears in math, and I don't think spending 15 minutes on math 4-5 days/week is too much. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, Malam said:

I found this a while ago. It looks interesting: https://researchparent.com/learn/mathematics/minimalist-math-curriculum/

It is an appealing concept.  It'd certainly be better than a crying child every day or skipping math because of the struggle. 

I do think a lot of parents I know would have a hard time effectively teaching the stuff their child didn't know.  In fact, the parents I know who'd most benefit from the minimal time have children who are incredibly difficult for them to teach, and most need scripted/explicit guidance.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:48 AM, Malam said:

I think it would be interesting to go at the pace of a gifted kids instead of limiting them to one sheet per week

🤣  My children would go at the minimum required pace! 

And my children MUST learn to do longer problems by hand (long division, multiplication, etc.). 

But it is interesting.  And sort of marvelous that this parent is sharing their work for free!

ETA -- I'm curious if you think that it's important for kids, especially high-achieving ones or ones who want STEM-intensive educations, to get practice with stickier, trickier problems than those presented? 

Edited by serendipitous journey

6 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

I'm curious if you think that it's important for kids, especially high-achieving ones or ones who want STEM-intensive educations, to get practice with stickier, trickier problems than those presented? 

Yes, but not necessarily in the early elementary grades.

18 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

Makes sense.  So would you want more stuff like that mixed in before 8th grade?  Would you be concerned about the lack of instruction in multi-digit/larger basic maths problems? 

Oh I'm not dead-set on it by any means, but if a child is really going through them at a rate of one per day they would end up going through a grade level in just 36 days, which leaves plenty of time to review everything and incorporate the larger problems

Edited by Malam

I have used portions of this program as a simple weekly review.  I found that the problems were great for helping kids to remember as we spiraled through topics, but that the rest of the week could be spent on deeper, more satisfying math in other ways.

It doesn't offer enough practice or any teaching, so I wouldn't consider it a stand-alone program.  A weekly touch-base makes it work, though.

4 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I have used portions of this program as a simple weekly review.  I found that the problems were great for helping kids to remember as we spiraled through topics, but that the rest of the week could be spent on deeper, more satisfying math in other ways.

It doesn't offer enough practice or any teaching, so I wouldn't consider it a stand-alone program.  A weekly touch-base makes it work, though.

I think you need to write a super long post one of these days on your math experience, you seem to have (effectively) used just about everything

14 minutes ago, Malam said:

I think you need to write a super long post one of these days on your math experience, you seem to have (effectively) used just about everything

LOL

I work with a variety of kids, but usually they are off the center line in one way or another.  Some approach math absolutely brilliantly and just need to be fed, others have large gaps due to seeing math as disconnected topics, and a few struggle with foundational skills. The kids that run down the center very rarely need anything extra.  But I keep a variety on hand for my strugglers so we can get enough practice in different ways.  If it's free or low cost, I'm going to look to see if it has any potential for them. It can be rough to stare at the same demoralizing work day after day and still feel like you are missing it.

It looks way to minimal to me. It just looks like a worksheet, not really anything cohesive. If you want visually minimal, both Math Mammoth and MEP are quite sparse and “homemade” looking, while also having a more interesting approach and well thought out scaffolding/progression in my opinion. I’ll just take the concept of place value, as this is something I think is excellently done in MEP. They juggle money (coin) problems, Roman numerals, and so on — well, these seemingly random or unrelated topics all reinforce place value and decimal numbers.

• Like 2