Menu

Help on credits

Five credits is too light. Why won't they transcript a CTY course. It's CTY... nearly all public schools put that on the transcript for a major course like that. 

What's the reason for not taking something else? Is he just out of courses? Is it common to take five at his school?

Colleges will not be impressed by refusing to max out the school's options. I get that you're saying he has maxed out the things he wants to do there, but most of them will see a willful, "I'm better than this" attitude that they don't want to necessarily take on. And they'll have no idea that a certain teacher is good or bad.

Dual enrollment or something like CTY that's well-known might circumvent this a little. He'll be able to report that coursework to colleges. But it still won't look as good because he's not working within their system.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

@Farrar because we have a snotty high school and they don’t want to allow kids to bring any credits outside to protect their teacher jobs. That’s what I was basically told by his counselor. They won’t even allow DE credits.

This seems particularly awful, that a kid wouldn’t be able to do the very high-level stuff he wants because it wouldn’t be included on the transcript. Any option to do a public charter for his senior year? I think our charter would allow CTY on the transcript, and definitely DE.

I’ve read over and over that a kid is mainly evaluated on the basis of what’s available at the school, so it makes sense that this might not look so good where he is. 😞

I would go above the counselor’s head and ask again. Seems very strange to not allow DE on the transcript, especially in CA where that’s one of the only ways to get into a good UC, other than AP.

• Like 2

I had to look up CTY because I had never heard of it. It does look interesting and challenging.

I'm going to be honest, and it's not what you want to hear, but it's not really surprising to me that a school wouldn't accept outside courses. I'm not sure how they would go about doing that. Does your state offer a virtual program? That might be a good way to avoid certain teachers but still get good courses. 

I'm also going to ask if your school would allow a student take that few credits? In my county, they have "nothing" classes, such as art (*cough*coloring*cough*) or photojournalism (yearbook), for those who didn't want a "real" class, but each time slot had to be filled.

I'm sorry. It's definitely not what you want to hear. 

They allow one free period for juniors. Since he is taking math elsewhere, they will allow him a free period as substitute for math because it isn’t technically free. 

There are other districts around us that let kids take a ton of DE but not our school. 

That's interesting. None of the schools in my district had free periods. My dh says that his didn't have them either. It might be a state thing?

Since they are "honoring" your son's math course enough to give him an "extra" free period, it might be worth it to go to the principal or school board. It's very hard for them to have it both ways.

That's really neat that they allow outside DE courses in other districts. Ours had to be done in-house or through the online Governor's School. Sorry, my intrigue does nothing to help you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malam said:

If the school isn't accepting his outside math course, how are you going to fill the school's or state's math requirements? Most (particularly a snotty school) require 4 years of math

He was given three credits from middle school for Integ 1, 2, and 3. So technically he has four credits.

Another thing that would kind of give me pause is that this counselor will be his cheerleader in two years. In the counselor’s letter, he’ll be evaluated and compared to his peers at the school. If the school’s attitude is, “we don’t care what else he did…”, that could really affect him in college admissions. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

Another thing that would kind of give me pause is that this counselor will be his cheerleader in two years. In the counselor’s letter, he’ll be evaluated and compared to his peers at the school. If the school’s attitude is, “we don’t care what else he did…”, that could really affect him in college admissions. 

Counselor is great. Principal is an ass. 

• Sad 1

That version is better... but I still think it's a risk not to max out the school options. It might pay off because the CTY courses are great and he can report them and they'll be recognized by a lot of places -- but other schools might see "five classes when everyone else took six" and "didn't take all the math courses the school offered" and pass right by. Honestly, I'm just not sure. Did he max out the other AP sciences?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rzberrymom said:

It is my understanding that some? many? most? public schools don't actually submit a counselor letter. The district next to me has something like 200 students per counselor.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Farrar said:

That version is better... but I still think it's a risk not to max out the school options. It might pay off because the CTY courses are great and he can report them and they'll be recognized by a lot of places -- but other schools might see "five classes when everyone else took six" and "didn't take all the math courses the school offered" and pass right by. Honestly, I'm just not sure. Did he max out the other AP sciences?

I think the schools which give each student enough attention to notice that he took five vs six or that he didn't take all the math available would also give each student enough attention to notice the CTY class(es), especially if their transcript is submitted

47 minutes ago, Farrar said:

He maxed out on their math as a freshmen. And will max out on AP sciences as well. School has a DE stats version for seniors only with a better teacher, so he do that as a senior. 

• Like 1

This brings up a general question though. If colleges like kids to be spiky and pursue their interests instead of piling up random APs, then maximizing what a school offers is basically piling up AP classes to look just like every other graduate from that school. What am I missing? 

this kid has very specific interests and we can’t pursue them because school doesn’t offer the wants and we must take random things it does. Say why taking AP Micro from CTY and scoring a 5 even if his school doesn’t count it is worse than AP Environmental from school? 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Actually this is a fantastic idea. Should he email?

He could. He could also call and ask the name/contact information of the person he speaks with and then send a follow-up email thanking them for speaking with him and confirming the information that they shared.   Sometimes a call makes it easier to clarify the question.  I would recommend him calling schools lower down on his choice list first.  That way he can practice with schools he isn't really interested in attending.  

• Like 3

If he's maxing out their options, then I think that's a lot better. Some colleges like spiky... others less so. A lot of this is about whether he'll look good on paper compared to others at the school. There's a total picture here as well - activities, test scores, etc. It's not all about the number of credits he takes.

• Like 2