Menu

Do you think this is the source of my rash?

stephanier.1765

Last night as I was lying in bed reading, I realized I was scratching a place that hurt. I looked and there was a huge rash of what looked like tiny, red pinpricks. The rash was as big as my hand. Later I found myself scratching a spot on my back. Again, a huge pinprick rash the size of my hand on the right side of my back about midway up. My mind has gone over and over anything that might be different. The only thing I could think of was when I last washed my towels I threw in the rags I had been cleaning with (some with dish soap and one with Pine Sol). To counteract any nasty germs that might be on the rags, I washed on hot and used a laundry sanitizer. Could it be the laundry sanitizer or maybe the Pine Sol? I honestly can't remember when I washed the towels to know if this had been the first or second time I had showered since washing them, but I had definitely used one of the wash clothes to wash my face the night before I showered as well as using hand towels for drying my face and drying my hands. No rash on face or hands. The rash is still in both places and hurts.

I think it's possible. I use Lysol laundry sanitizer sometimes (puppy in the house with immune compromised people), but I remember reading reviews where some people said it gave them a rash. But I'd also consider dermatographia. It doesn't quite fit because it usually causes raised welts or lines, not a pinprick type rash. But because you noticed it after scratching reminded me of it. It happens to me a lot, but it's more a nuisance than a real problem.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

But I'd also consider dermatographia. It doesn't quite fit because it usually causes raised welts or lines, not a pinprick type rash. But because you noticed it after scratching reminded me of it. It happens to me a lot, but it's more a nuisance than a real problem.

Yes, I get this too. I also get hives from stress and heat; no allergy involved. 

Stephanie, if you can, try get a look at the next rash before you touch it just to make sure you're not causing it by scratching. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If this is all on the same side of your body, I would expect shingles. Primary care can prescribe something for the itching/pain. They may also recommend a course of steroids, which may be very beneficial. If it’s shingles, it is something that needs to be treated earlier rather than later, IMO. 

ETA - Also be aware that someone with shingles can transmit the chicken pox virus to others. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

If this is all on the same side of your body, I would expect shingles. Primary care can prescribe something for the itching/pain. They may also recommend a course of steroids, which may be very beneficial. If it’s shingles, it is something that needs to be treated earlier rather than later, IMO. 

ETA - Also be aware that someone with shingles can transmit the chicken pox virus to others. 

It is on the same side. I googled pictures of shingles and they don't look the same but maybe those are pictures of it later in the progression. 

I also considered I was causing it by scratching but I stopped pretty quickly because it hurt and the rash extends outside the area I was touching. It's so weird. I did fully expect it to be gone by this morning but it's still there. No worse though so that's good.

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

It is on the same side. I googled pictures of shingles and they don't look the same but maybe those are pictures of it later in the progression. 

I also considered I was causing it by scratching but I stopped pretty quickly because it hurt and the rash extends outside the area I was touching. It's so weird. I did fully expect it to be gone by this morning but it's still there. No worse though so that's good.

Please consider going to primary care or urgent care. My dh’s shingles didn’t look like shingles to us at all, but the dr. recognized it. More info: 

“Rapid treatment with one of three antiviral drugs, acyclovir (Zovirax), valacyclovir (Valtrex), or famciclovir (Famvir), can shorten a shingles attack and reduce the risk of serious damage, such as:

• Long-term pain. Pain that lingers in the area of a healed shingles rash is called postherpetic neuralgia. This often-disabling pain can last several months to a year.
  • Prolonged itching. Many people are left with an itchy area from their shingles, which can be as disabling as chronic pain. It is most common on the head or neck.
  • Damage to vision and hearing. Pain and rash near an eye can cause permanent eye damage and requires an urgent ophthalmological exam. When the nerve to the ear is affected, it can permanently damage hearing or balance.
  • Strokes and heart attacks. A PLOS Medicine study that tracked about 67,000 people ages 65 and older who were newly diagnosed with shingles found that stroke risk more than doubled in the first week after the shingles diagnosis. The same study reported an increased risk for heart attacks in the three months after shingles, but the additional risk dissipated after six months.”

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/dont-shrug-off-shingles-201602189186

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ok, wait...I started itching in a few spots last night while freaking out over my mom and assumed stress hives. Y'all, I BETTER not have shingles! It's on one arm. We are also PEAK pollen season right now, it went away mostly with an antihistamine (hydroxyzine - also helps with anxiety/sleep) and a bath. Woke up scratching again around 3am and put cortisone cream on it and went back to bed. Took hydroxyzine again this morning and went on a hike - just started itching again, but I know antihistamine has worn off. 

Would shingles respond to cortisone cream and antihistamine?

I don’t know @ktgrok - they respond to steroids - is there low dose steroids in any of those? Oh dear.

ETA:
Um - looks like antihistamines might help @ktgrok - I hope it’s something else - did you work in the yard yesterday? 
https://health.students.vcu.edu/media/student-affairs-sites/ushs/docs/HERPESZOSTER.pdf

Edited by TechWife

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

I don’t know @ktgrok - they respond to steroids - is there low dose steroids in any of those? Oh dear.

ETA:
Um - looks like antihistamines might help @ktgrok - I hope it’s something else - did you work in the yard yesterday? 
https://health.students.vcu.edu/media/student-affairs-sites/ushs/docs/HERPESZOSTER.pdf

it's not painful at all. I don't think there are any blisters. 

• Like 1

So, sorry to hijack your rash, but I just realized mine might be contact dermatitis. From what, I have no idea. I even thought it looked/felt like contact dermatitis, but that made no sense to me as it is in two separate areas, one on my lower arm and one on my uppoer arm. Fine in between. But I just bent my arm and realized those two spots touch when I bend it like I'm carrying something against my chest or whatever. So likely something irritating. It happend all at once, too. . 

• Like 2