Menu

History Unit Studies

Green Bean

I know we have many options. I'm looking for one that is preferably secular or at least easy to make so, multi-year and multi-grade, and comes with a kit. I'm over the whole gather or make it all myself stage. The kid I am looking for is ASD and limited in his abilities. This study does not need to be the most rigorous out there, but needs to be interesting.

What I want included:

easy to follow lesson plans; checklist is ideal

history: events, civilizations, artists, musicians, scientists, authors, poets

geography: including terms, maps to fill

timeline: like "cut this figure out and paste here"

art/crafts/projects: not too crazy and optional

literature: books to read, not necessarily study in depth

worksheets: fill in the notebook or outline; not a lot of writing or can be modified to be so

Edited by Green Bean

Heart of Dakota but it’s definitely not secular.  I find history easy to make more balanced.  My child who has mild ASD really thrives in how everything is super specific.  The projects are optional.  I have some funschooling journals he can do “instead” if he wants.

*creation to Christ would be the most “Christian” level I think.  She uses the Bible for some of the ancient history (which I like), and also uses Story of the Ancient World by Christine Miller. It was nice to have that perspective since we had done SOtW.  We skip the devotional stuff and the Bible study book.  We skip a lot, and sub in our journals for stuff.  It still has been very worth it to me.  I haven’t found a better option.  I’m looking forward to other guides going forward, I don’t think I’ll have to skip as much.

ETA:  my child with slight learning difficulties has thrived with HOD as well.  He’s in bigger, and it’s nice for me to know how much to have him read/do.  We don’t have to skip as much, but I do since we have our journals that are more fun.  It helps me gauge how much to assign though.

Edited by Lovinglife123
  • Like 1

I didn't see a level or grade. Build Your Library has everything but the worksheets, and not all of them have a timeline. I handed my kids the schedule page (after going through it in advance and scratching off some entries and writing extra notes), and they used it as a checklist, marking off assignments as they're completed. Some levels we did everything and some we skipped more. The lit and readers can be tied to the science and history so we rarely skipped those. 

• Like 1

Second funschooling journals.  I love the American timeline one.  I also like lots of their other journals, so many options (baking, endangered animals, we have so many) -just use the library/ internet/ & resources you already have.  If you already have something for history, it can help breathe life into it.  I have used beautiful feet & heart of Dakota with them.  As for checklist, I make theirs every night in a spiral notebook, or else we’d be completely lost.   

I just got an email that Pandia Press is having a 25% off sale. They’re secular, have a daily check list, and check several of your boxes including crafts/cooking and literature. I have a couple guides but haven’t used their curriculum yet, so I can’t give a review.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:41 AM, Green Bean said:

Beautiful Feet, maybe?

Beautiful Feet Books is (1) not a unit study, and (2) definitely not secular. Also, IMHO, a good unit study would not have worksheets of any kind.

I will have to do a little sleuthing for a *secular* unit study. Most of the most popular unit studies (KONOS being the grandfather of them all) are faith based.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...