Menu

3rd grade planning 2023-24

AnneGG

Copy & Paste from the 4th grade thread….

DSS & DS will be in 3rd/4th. I combine them in everything.

As of right now I predict we will complete CLE 2 and WWE 2 around August. From there we will possibly move into Writers in Residence and Readers in Residence*** (currently 90% off at CBD, so I figured, why not?) They will continue with cursive practice and I will introduce some structured typing lessons. 

***This a no for now. Sticking with WWE. I’ll need to make a TBR list for them. Not sure if I’ll do full on comprehension guides or just ask for narrations. Or maybe book reports? Is that still a thing? 

We’ve been doing a combo of Miquon3/BA 2/CLE3. Probably going to move over to BJU 4 once they wrap up all that in late Fall. (But then again, CLE is so…. Comforting? Predictable? Maybe we should stay with it. )We like variety though, so I might hang on to BA.

Continuing with my Waldorf/CM approach to all the other subjects. Hoping Amber Hellwell/Hearth Magic rolls out new lit guides for next year. If not, I’ll prob lean on LitWits and TPT. 

Continue with No Sweat Nature Study. 

Continue low-key with SOTW 3. We basically just listen in our spare time and do activities that strike our fancy. 

I would like to put more effort into teaching basic home ec skills and money management. 

Bible- changed my mind on my first choice. I need to go to Mardel and look around. 

Edited by AnneGG

We will use TGTB LA, math is a combo of things- Singapore Math and TGTB math. I already own the books for Singapore Math but am loving TGTB math so much that I would like to switch over. However, I do not wish to waste the SM books I already own. I have the workbooks so it is not just an issue of the textbooks. We will continue SOTW. And we do not do anything formal for science as the kids love science already so they do it for fun all the time, no point in also doing a formal curriculum.  We have a lot of resources for a lot of things so nothing is pulled from just one program for all the other things we do. 

I have a rising 3rd grader next year. Tentative plans:

Literature -

Memoria Press Literature Guides for 3rd Grade 

Grammar / Writing - 

Growing with Grammar 2

Evan Moor How to Write a Super Sentence/Paragraph 

All About Spelling, starting at 1

Latin -

MP Latina Christina (year 1 of 2 year plans) at Little Latin School

Math -

Continue Singapore Math. I've been using Wisdom Wonder Project as well, even though I feel confident teaching from the HIG, for time reasons.

History -

Story of Civilization 2nd year (Medieval period)

Science -

Evan Moor Daily Science 3 as a means of scheduling topics. I pull in other books and Mystery Science videos that go with the topics in the workbook.

Other -

Elementary Scratch Programming (by me) / Sphero coding (by me)

Art and Music appreciation

Fencing lessons (PE)

Edited by keirin

Our tentative plans, that I have realized are far from complete as I write things out.

Literature/Grammar/Writing - Guest Hollow Language Arts with Beowulf's Grammar. She might join in on book talks with her older sister and we're planning on weekly poetry teas as well.

Latin - I am unsure what we'll use, but she really wants to learn Latin this year. Still need to research this.

Math - Math with Confidence  

History - Part of me wants to do straight SOTW, another part thinks we should try Homeschool in the Woods and still another finds Tapestry of Grace appealing. What I want is to begin our history study in ancient times, have a guide that allows me to feel like I am covering important events/eras, use books instead of text book, have lots of craft opportunities and be able to do history with both girls. I am unsure what our best bet is for that.

Science - Wavering between Apologia Astronomy and Berean Builders Science in the Ancient World. Both girls (will be 3rd & 5th next year) want lots of experiments. Both also want to learn about the stars, but I am thinking we might just do that for fun this summer when we can get out of town easily to study the sky. Open to other suggestions for science if someone has a fun, experiment heavy curriculum!

Other -

Monday weekly co-op. Unsure what will be offered, but in the past they have done theatre, lego coding, geography, PE and Spanish. If they don't offer lego coding we will do it at home, as both girls are interested.

Piano lessons

Art - probably Chalk Pastels from You Are an Artist

Saxon Math

First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, All About Reading/Spelling, Handwriting Without Tears, WTM ancients booklist 

Story of the World 1, History Portfolio Jr

Elemental Biology for Grammar Stage 

Telling God’s Story 

Song School Latin

Music: Composer studies from Simply Charlotte Mason along with youtube videos 

Art: Artistic Pursuits 

Edited by Holly

• 2 weeks later...

My upcoming 3rd grader will be doing the following:

Horizons Math 3

Abeka Language 3 and Reading 3

Abeka Spelling 3

BJU Handwriting 3 (I'm not a fan of this font, but he really likes it)

All Things Fun and Fascinating (IEW)

BJU Heritage Studies 3, SOTW 2 as a morning basket read aloud

TGTB Science Units: Amphibians, Reptiles & Fish, Mammals, Birds and Botany

I also have an Analogies for Critical Thinking Grade 3 book and Eplode the Code 3 that he'll work through.

He attends a homeschool enrichment program 1x per week that teaches Art, Music, PE, Social Studies, STEM and Spanish. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 8:15 AM, Janeway said:

We will use TGTB LA, math is a combo of things- Singapore Math and TGTB math. I already own the books for Singapore Math but am loving TGTB math so much that I would like to switch over. However, I do not wish to waste the SM books I already own. I have the workbooks so it is not just an issue of the textbooks. We will continue SOTW. And we do not do anything formal for science as the kids love science already so they do it for fun all the time, no point in also doing a formal curriculum.  We have a lot of resources for a lot of things so nothing is pulled from just one program for all the other things we do. 

Nothing really changed, but wanted to be more specific

LA....OPGTR + Spelling Workout + TGTB LA + handwriting of some sort. I like ZB but might use HWOT because he struggles so much.

Math...Singapore Math

History.... Story of the World with a focus on US history

Science.... variety

Latin...Song School Latin

Outsourced classes- Art through History, archery, maybe try cub scouts again

Edited by Janeway

• 2 weeks later...

DD is technically in 3rd grade this year but she's all over the place, ability wise. She's dyslexic and has some other visual-auditory processing issues that have made her school experience very different than her brothers'. She's a trooper though and I'm so proud of all the effort she puts into her work. History, Literature, and Science are done combined with her younger (1st grade) brother. 

Math: Horizons 2. Depending on how quickly we move through it we might even get to 3. 

Science: Mom made evolution/dino unit study + RS4K Elementary Biology + Nature Study. We'll probably do a grow-a-frog and/or butterfly kit in the spring.

History: Build Your Library 1/SOTW 1 (Ancient History)

Literature: Build Your Library 1 (modified)

Reading/Phonics: OPGTR + Reading Eggs + various beginning readers + a lot of multi-sensory activities + sight word drills and activities

Handwriting/Art: Draw Write Now 1 & 2

Grammar: FLL 2 (orally) 

Various other electives/activities with our homeschool group. This fall she is doing a cooking class and a nature exploration/art class. I also promised that I would give her sewing lessons. 

Math: Singapore Dimensions Grade 3

I'm planning to be very CM this year.  We will study American history (16th-18th century), geography, nature lore, mythology, and fairy tales.  I will pick a few novels.  

Handwriting--this is a tricky one.  I found a curriculum I like, but it has a big old spiral on the left side.  She is left-handed.

French:  Nallenart 

Math with Confidence 

TGATB Language Arts

Song School Spanish 2 

Story of the World volume 2 audio book 

Read alouds…I have a big stack of Middle Ages picture books, plus some books I really enjoyed reading with her older siblings—Heidi, The Princess & the Goblin, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, The Tale of Despereaux…or, I am not sure she remembers our last family read through Narnia so maybe we’ll pick that up!

science & cultures/geography at co-op (astronomy, botany, Australia, Japan)

she spends a little time most days on art & guitar

• 4 weeks later...

Grade 3

Language Arts:

• Pentime 3

• Rod & Staff English 3

• Spelling (using Wilson Reading since I already own it)

• American Language Readers, Ginn Readers, LLATL readers, some readers from Sonlight lists

• Explode the Code

Math: Math With Confidence and CTC 

Social Studies:  Geography & World Cultures unit study 

• lapbooks from homeschoolshare

• doing some activities with older sis (gr.9 doing Guest Hollow Geography w/ some MFW ECC resources )

• map skills workbook

Science

• local Earth Science homeschool class

• she may participate in some of older sister’s science activities (Berean Builders Earth Science)

• God’s Design for Chemistry & Ecology w/older sis (just as a read aloud since she has the lab class)

Golden Children’s Bible, A Child’s Book of Poems, music and art study w/older siblings

My favorite new thing that we are doing this year is for science and social studies.  Our co-op has a lab science class for 3rd grade, so I asked the teacher for her scope & sequence so that we can do outside reading, videos or other activities related to it.  The co-op is also doing an American Girl book club over eight different time periods in American history, and I am building unit studies around those, too (Memory Work: states, capitals and locations, order of the Presidents).  I love unit studies, but this year bringing the magic and dazzle to homeschool is going to be harder for me to pull off because of our schedule.  I'm thankful to be able to use the co-op for that so that we can focus on basic academics and get through our day more quickly.