Menu

Light weekend topic - what’s your skin care regimen?

Grace Hopper

7 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

I remember the Estée Lauder clear under eye gel and used it consistently through the early 90’s. I loved it! But it dropped off the budget when we got aggressive about saving for our first house. Is it still the same clear gel in a little jar? I might have to go get some!

Like Lady Florida I find drinking more water makes a huge difference. As well as quality fats in foods. When I remember to take my EFA supplements those also seem to help with dryness (most noticeably my eyes). My diet also makes a big difference - too much dairy and my face breaks out. I really notice this when dh brings home half n half for his coffee and I use that for a week or so     instead of the oat or coconut creamer I usually use. My skin looks best when I am compliant with what I know is best for my gut.

@mmascdo you use this linked CeraVe night cream on your neck, too? That’s a part of me that needs more moisture. 

I sure do! 

• Like 1

So…I love CeraVe but I’ll just throw in my experience with the SA night cream. I’ve tried it 3 different times since it came out. The first time I used it several months (loved the texture and feel) but noticed more clogged pores. Eventually removed it from my routine and had improvement. 

As I’ve aged, I’ve added more oils/occlusives to my evening routine to combat dryness. Love oils, lol. I tried the CeraVe night cream twice again (a few years apart) and both times had breakouts. Obviously, ymmv (as with all skin care) but I just wanted to share a dissenting opinion (as someone who wanted to love it and who uses multiple other products from the brand). 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

So…I love CeraVe but I’ll just throw in my experience with the SA night cream. I’ve tried it 3 different times since it came out. The first time I used it several months (loved the texture and feel) but noticed more clogged pores. Eventually removed it from my routine and had improvement. 

Are you talking about the SA Cream (light blue lid)?

Or the Skin Renewing cream with the dark purple? (The one I like and linked). 

I’ve never tried the SA cream. My kids DO use the SA cleanser, though, and like it. 

I’m definitely acne-prone, even though I have dry, sensitive skin, but have never had a breakout with the regular CeraVe cream in the tub or the skin renewing cream in the purple jar. But everyone is different for sure and can have different results!

6 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I’ve never tried the SA cream. My kids DO use the SA cleanser, though, and like it. 

I’m definitely acne-prone, even though I have dry, sensitive skin, but have never had a breakout with the regular CeraVe cream in the tub or the skin renewing cream in the purple jar. But everyone is different for sure and can have different results!

Sorry, the renewing (purple lid, little container).  

I also use the SA cleanser and it’s holy grail status for me. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 10:51 AM, Arcadia said:

For mask wearing, applying baby aquaphor (or any thick moisturizer you like) on the face and behind the ears  before wearing help my teens and I with dermatitis at the mask edges and behind the ears. I have always had dermatitis and eczema so can’t blame menopause for that.

That's the mess that is perioral dermatitis.  Anything too occlusive makes it worse and I think putting barrier cream on my skin when I first started wearing masks kicked it off.  Best to just keep the areas as dry as possible, let it turn flaky and ugly then the new skin underneath is happy.  Its been so weird and so contrary to how I have treated my skin all my life.

58 minutes ago, OakParkOwlets said:

That's the mess that is perioral dermatitis.  Anything too occlusive makes it worse and I think putting barrier cream on my skin when I first started wearing masks kicked it off.  Best to just keep the areas as dry as possible, let it turn flaky and ugly then the new skin underneath is happy.  Its been so weird and so contrary to how I have treated my skin all my life.

DS18’s area behind the ears would bleed unfortunately because he wears a mask for many hours in community college. In my case, if my skin is flaky, it hurts like sunburn. Its so trial and error to find what works for my kids and myself. 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, alisoncooks said:

On 2/1/2023 at 3:37 PM, mmasc said:

On 2/1/2023 at 3:45 PM, alisoncooks said:

Sorry, the renewing (purple lid, little container).  

I also use the SA cleanser and it’s holy grail status for me. 

This is the CeraVe night moisturizer I use. It's non-comedogenic. It also really is lightweight like it says. I don't like the feel of heavy night creams. 

https://www.cerave.com/skincare/moisturizers/pm-facial-moisturizing-lotion

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

This is the CeraVe night moisturizer I use. It's non-comedogenic. It also really is lightweight like it says. I don't like the feel of heavy night creams. 

https://www.cerave.com/skincare/moisturizers/pm-facial-moisturizing-lotion

That’s the one I’ve used for about a decade. I use it in the a.m. too. It is very lightweight.

(Though I actually don’t mind heavy creams and oils. I’ve come to appreciate them, now that I fear wrinkles more than acne. 😉 )

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Grace Hopper@Lady Florida. Estée Lauder’s 1.7oz advanced night repair serum is currently BOGO if you are interested. I use that to calm allergic rashes on my face so my husband alerted me to the deal he read on slickdeals.

https://m.esteelauder.com/product/689/77491/product-catalog/skincare/repair-serum/advanced-night-repair-serum/synchronized-multi-recovery-complex?size=1.7_oz

• Thanks 2

I’m not great at a routine but I wash with the cere ve cream cleanser. For occasional exfoliation I love soap and glory’s Breakfast Smoothie scrub. It smells really good. 

I always use sunscreen. If I’m working outside I slather myself in spf 70 or higher. On regular days I’ll use a lighter sunscreen. Eucerine has a “redness relief”sunscreen moisturizer with a slight green tint that I love because it erases most of the redness from my face. 

On 1/29/2023 at 12:13 PM, Carrie12345 said:

I still swear by Dr. Bronnner’s plain Castile soap. I think it’s labeled Baby? Gentle and effective.  Putting a filter on our well water has improved all of my skin.

Cerave pm moisturizer is my new favorite thing. I did get the AM, too, but I’m pale enough without its white sunscreen added. I got a tinted sunscreen instead, but I’d still like to find a sunscreen that is neither white nor tinted.

I started doing a vitamin C serum in the morning and retinol serum at night, but only on certain areas because I got a laser treatment less than 2 weeks ago.

If affordable, I totally recommend laser for rosacea and/or broken blood vessels and/or enlarged pores. 10 minutes of torture (for me), and well over a week to see the real results, but fully worth the results I got after 1 treatment. The spot I’ve been extremely self-conscious about for YEARS is 99% gone for $150.  YEARS!!! (And the rest of the area is nice, too, BUT THAT SPOT!!!!)

Anyway, not skipping that night wash is definitely my biggest rule.

Do you have a Trader Joe’s?  They have a gel sunscreen that’s invisible.