Menu

Creative writing

Any suggestions for a high school level creative writing course?  Half or full credit would both work.  Online or self paced.  

We are coming off of Writing and Rhetoric Thesis and need a bit of an essay break, but I don't want to stop writing all together.  She does enjoy writing stories/creative writing in general.

Editing to add she's sitting next to me and said a poetry course might even be fun. 🤷

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:08 PM, Coco_Clark said:

Any suggestions for a high school level creative writing course?  Half or full credit would both work.  Online or self paced.  

We are coming off of Writing and Rhetoric Thesis and need a bit of an essay break, but I don't want to stop writing all together.  She does enjoy writing stories/creative writing in general.

Editing to add she's sitting next to me and said a poetry course might even be fun. 🤷

On 1/31/2023 at 9:04 PM, Shelydon said:

I just came here to ask this question! Following along.

My DS17 has absolutely loved the creative writing classes at The Habit. 😊 Each one is based on the writing of a famous author and covers a single novel. The students study writing through the lens of the writer—analyzing how he/she crafted the story and then writing scenes each week using the various techniques they're studying.

There's also a very active student forum where the students have discussions throughout the week and post their writing assignments for feedback.

DS17 has done classes there for the last two years, and between those and the writing he does on his own (he's working on two different novels!), I've awarded him a creative writing credit each year.

They're about to start a new class next week on C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and he's super excited, as that's always been one of his favorite books!  https://thehabit.co

@Coco_Clark @Shelydon

Edited by caayenne
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caayenne said:

My DS17 has absolutely loved the creative writing classes at The Habit. 😊 Each one is based on the writing of a famous author and covers a single novel. They study writing through the lens of the writer, analyzing how he/she crafted the story and then writing scenes each week using the various techniques they're studying.

There's also a very active student forum where the students have discussions throughout the week and post their writing assignments for feedback.

DS17 has done classes there for the last two years, and between those and the writing he does on his own (he's working on two different novels!), I've awarded him a creative writing credit each year.

They're about to start a new one next week on The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and he's super excited, as that's always been one of his favorite books!

@Coco_Clark @Shelydon

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, caayenne said:

My DS17 has absolutely loved the creative writing classes at The Habit. 😊 Each one is based on the writing of a famous author and covers a single novel. The students study writing through the lens of the writer—analyzing how he/she crafted the story and then writing scenes each week using the various techniques they're studying.

Also, there is one good site -  https://papersowl.com/examples/ where you can find many good examples of writting works. It`s really big database of free academic papers.

They're about to start a new class next week on C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and he's super excited, as that's always been one of his favorite books! 

@Coco_Clark @Shelydon

Haven't heard of them before but it looks great! I love this learning idea.

Edited by John Newlon