Menu

Group/ family style subjects organization

Nm.

You could try Loop scheduling. Put your resources in a box/shelf/drawer and just loop through one each day. Put the one you just used on the bottom, pull whatever is on to each time you’re ready for group time. 

• Like 1

I used an exel form in the past but this year (1 year old plus a pregnancy) I've just been doing what's next and honestly?  It works just as well.

kids range 10-15.  My daily line up, for the record, is:

Current Events (CNN10)

Prayers and hymn (new one each month)

Bible (read the next chapter, when we get to the end of a book, pick a new book)

Saint Story (saint of the day)

Memory Work (group new, individual new taking turns picking things, 1 from weekly review, 2 from long term review)

Poetry Reading (same poem for 3 days) and picture study the 4th day 

Lit reading (chapter a sat, when we get to the end, pick a new book)

History Reading (chapter a day)

• Like 1

I have a basket (it's a big basket lol!) where I put misc stuff that doesn't really fit into a "subject" category. Every morning we do morning meeting and we sing a hymn, read a poem and discuss it, and then do something from the basket. Over the years we've covered lots of holiday related stuff, art appreciation, music history, ballet, philosophy, world cultures, learning ASL, etc.

Eating an elephant a bite at a time really does accomplish a lot! 🙂

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I have a basket (it's a big basket lol!) where I put misc stuff that doesn't really fit into a "subject" category. Every morning we do morning meeting and we sing a hymn, read a poem and discuss it, and then do something from the basket. Over the years we've covered lots of holiday related stuff, art appreciation, music history, ballet, philosophy, world cultures, learning ASL, etc.

I love this!!! Thank you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I like this idea too! Great for sometimes have time sometimes have a busy or late day!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

@Momto6inIN What do you use for hymns? I would love to do this as a group.  It’s scheduled separately in heart of Dakota and we never get to it!

I'm not momto6 but we use singing the great hymns from Simply Charlotte mason. It has audio downloads of a simple accompanyment and a sprial bound book with hymns including music and all verses.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

@Momto6inIN What do you use for hymns? I would love to do this as a group.  It’s scheduled separately in heart of Dakota and we never get to it!

We use a book called Hymns of Zion, which is the hymn book we sing from in our church denomination. We sing all the verses of 1 hymn each day 😊

• Like 1

I also use a basket and loop through it. I set a timer for 25 minutes or we will sit there all morning because it’s so enjoyable.

I just ordered a new hymn book. It’s Timeless Hymns for Family Worship by Joanie Tada & Bobbie Wolgemuth. Not sure if it’s a reprint since it has Bobbie’s name on it, but it looked beautiful in the preview! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AnneGG said:

I also use a basket and loop through it. I set a timer for 25 minutes or we will sit there all morning because it’s so enjoyable.

I just ordered a new hymn book. It’s Timeless Hymns for Family Worship by Joanie Tada & Bobbie Wolgemuth. Not sure if it’s a reprint since it has Bobbie’s name on it, but it looked beautiful in the preview! 

😂 it’s almost the same as the one in heart of Dakota.  Maybe I’ll just use theirs for family. It’s the same authors/singers.

• Like 1