Menu

RANT and JAWM how does anyone find a good hairdresser?!?

MEmama

38 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I’m sorry! That is disappointing and I know how you feel! 
It’s embarrassing to say how far I travel to get my hair cut. And if you saw it you wouldn’t think it’s anything special. But I have thinning hair on my crown, grows far down my neck, heavy in the back, just enough wave to shrink up on me. She’s found the sweet spot style for me. I’ve found my unicorn and I’m sticking with her! 
We’ve grown it out some and found a style so I only get it cut 3-4 times a year. Now that I’m graying I’ve colored it myself in the middle a few times. I’m looking for a local colorist. But I’ll have to tell them- color- do not touch with scissors! 
It’s just one of those things worth spending the time and money on for me.  I hope you find a good fix. 
As for finding a new stylist- ask around I guess. See someone’s hair you like and see who they go to. 

Some colorists absolutely will not do color only.  So, ask around and give yourself some runway on this.  It might not be so easy to find your local help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Can you please tell me more about this?  I’ve been using mild shampoo and conditioner regularly, with occasional forays into Philip B wildly expensive Rejuvenating Oil and a couple of their after sprays, but maybe there is a better way.

Look on YouTube for Katherine Sewing Historical Hair.  
Her Thing is historical sewing, then when she had a kid she cut back on the chemicals she was using.  Before that, using the Curly Girl stuff, her hair looked nice but it wouldn't grow past a certain length and it was unhealthy.   So, then she looked into historical hair care, and tweaked that for curly hair.   Along the way there was similarities with Indian hair care and kinky hair care.  In one of the videos she makes a scalp treatment and discusses what smells and you might want to leave out.  She also uses a clay for hair-washing.  

16 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

@MEmama come to Boston. My daughter's stylist is DevaCurl trained. My daughter's hair is a-mazing with Nadja's touch. She only goes every 3-4 months . 

I might just do that! After obsessing about studying the hair disaster today, I think a good stylist could fix it without losing all the remaining length. Would you mind PMing me her info? 

• Thanks 1

You can think of the review this way: not necessarily as directly negative, but just as descriptive. Especially with photos (if you can stand to upload them), people who are looking for the haircut you have will be aware that the hairdresser knows how to do that one. People who are looking for the haircut you want will know to either not use this hairdresser or to be very very clear with her that they don't want the haircut you got.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, thatfirstsip said:

You can think of the review this way: not necessarily as directly negative, but just as descriptive. Especially with photos (if you can stand to upload them), people who are looking for the haircut you have will be aware that the hairdresser knows how to do that one. People who are looking for the haircut you want will know to either not use this hairdresser or to be very very clear with her that they don't want the haircut you got.

This is really good way to frame it.

This morning I was able to see a stylist who was highly recommended to me, and she was nothing short of a miracle worker. We even have a plan moving forward and she gave me styling tips to enhance my waves while the layers are growing out, to minimize their effect. The salon is almost an hour away, but well worth the drive. If anyone is ever in need of a haircut in southern Maine, I have a stylist to recommend! Lol

And now I feel more confident leaving a negative review for the original stylist, having had my complaints confirmed this morning. She was visibly surprised at how poorly the hack job had been done.

• Like 12

On 1/27/2023 at 10:57 AM, MEmama said:

This is really good way to frame it.

This morning I was able to see a stylist who was highly recommended to me, and she was nothing short of a miracle worker. We even have a plan moving forward and she gave me styling tips to enhance my waves while the layers are growing out, to minimize their effect. The salon is almost an hour away, but well worth the drive. If anyone is ever in need of a haircut in southern Maine, I have a stylist to recommend! Lol

And now I feel more confident leaving a negative review for the original stylist, having had my complaints confirmed this morning. She was visibly surprised at how poorly the hack job had been done.

As a person with a small business, I often don't mind bad reviews (although of course I wish I could've satisfied everyone), especially if they're just strictly accurate. Something like "this item is really small" (with a photo) or "this item was (x) color and I had hoped it would be (y) color" or "this item takes 5 days to ship out" are all just straight facts, and help me not get customers in the future who want large, quickly shipped, (y) colored items - who I'm then going to have to refund because they didn't understand what the product would be. 

I don't want people buying my products if my products aren't what they want, kwim? Negative reviews that help shed light on things like that aren't as good as positive reviews but they're not a bad thing either, and I never have ill will toward people who leave them.

• Like 1