Menu

Another mom update - and dad too!

ktgrok

So, my parents made it up to North Carolina. They got an apartment right by the hospital, that is pet friendly. The landlord even can provide high toilet seats, walkers, etc if needed - they mostly rent to people getting treatment at duke or family members of patients. They also found out their insurance will pay a good amount toward housing/travel each year, so that is awesome, and a big relief as being closer to the hospital meant a lot more in rent, but it was important for them. 

However, before leaving they both had dermatologist appointments, and just found out yesterday that Dad has an early stage melanoma, and mom had a nodular basal cell. Neither was fully removed during the biopsy, and the surgeon Duke advised them to see is booked until March! Dad will likely wait and do that (it was melanoma in situ, so very early, just upper layer of the skin), mom found a regular derm who can get her in, but not until february. Not sure how/if a basal cell will impact her being listed for a new lung. 

So, yeah, more drama. 

And if anyone knows of a derm in Durham, NC who can get them in sooner, I'm all ears!

• Like 8
  • Sad 6

Oh, and prayers for warmth are appreciated! Mom had to go off ALL her pain meds for her arthritis other than tylenol, and I'm sure the cold weather there is making her pain worse 😞. It is going to be in the teens this weekend - they are used to Florida weather!

• Sad 7

thank you. I participated in a zoom meeting for caregivers today, have another tomorrow. Then my 23 year old on the spectrum proceeded to tell me how the last 8 christmases were miserable for him because I give him stuff he doesn't like and it stresses him out and I should stop making gift giving all about me. Um...whatever. I cannot deal with that right now. And no, just because you are not yelling doesn't mean you are not being hurtful and rude. And expecting to be able to decide what you do want for Christmas 4 days beforehand means you should not be shocked that we have already purchased some things. 

• Sad 1