Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~ December 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shutterfly is offering 10 free personalized Christmas photo cards to all customers right now. Just use coupon code TENFREE at checkout to get this deal.

You’ll have to pay shipping costs, but it’s still a great way to grab some inexpensive Christmas cards!

Valid today only, December 8, 2022.

Today, December 10th only, click on over to Amazon where they are offering $10 off a $50 purchase of select toys.

We’ve spotted tons highly rated toys your little ones are sure to love and enjoy. This is an awesome time to grab a few last-minute gifts for Christmas without breaking the bank!

Amazon.com: Save $10 when you buy $50 of select items promotion

Walgreens makes it easy to score FREE 8×10 photo prints! While the 8×10 deal isn’t available at the moment, through December 11th, you can snag FIVE Free 4×6 Photo Prints when you use promo code ICEFREE at checkout! Plus you can choose free store pickup to get your order in as little as an hour and save on shipping costs.

On 12/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, mommyoffive said:

Filled up gas last night

Lots of medical bills.  yay

Need to do a christmas return

Got a warranty claim accepted for a failed pair of winter boots.  I would rather have the $ back but they are giving it to me in a form of buying something else with them.   Got more than double of what I paid for the boots.  

Need to buy some makeup for Nutcracker.

Need to do some more christmas shopping.

Using some school funds.  Need to get the rest of the $$$$$ spent

Got some of the furniture that I ordered put together.   Hopefully dh can do the rest.

Getting rid of clutter.  Need to do more of that this weekend.

Good job getting the warranty claim done.  Sounds like they were very fair to you.  Hopefully you can find something on sale and get a really good deal out of it.

I love putting together furniture.  My DH is not allowed to do it.  Neither are my kids for that matter.  They all know I consider it fun and they aren't allowed to touch it.

On Black Friday DD, found a skirt online that was on clearance and super cheap.  Since I was already buying from that place, I got it for her.  She had no shirt for it so today we went looking for one.  It took forever (and I hate shopping) but she came away with a shirt and a dress.  Tage price said they were $150 combined, our total after tax was $6.48.  So very happy even though it took way longer than I wanted.  Unfortunately, once we got home, the shirt didn't go with the skirt as well as we thought so we will have to try again.  But since it was so cheap and she has other things she can wear it with, she gets to keep it anyways.

Plugging away on Christmas shopping.  Need to get out of the house for a few hours without kids to finish up. And then I need to do a lot of baking and dehydrating for the food gifts I give relatives.  December always goes way to fast and I end up cramming that stuff in on short notice.

I also learned how to give distemper shots to my foster puppies.  I'll be practicing a few more times under supervision just till I comfortable with it but then I can do it on my own.  Which also means I can do my personal dogs and won't have to take them to the vet for that.  Which is good because I had to make another trip to vet for dog who had stitches (that are thankfully all healed now), because she broke her dew claw right at the base but it wasn't fully detached.  Thankfully they were able to just snip it off (she did that once before and they had to sedate her and she had her foot wrapped and a cone for at least week.  I was absolutely dreading the cone since the dog that bit her, is absolutely triggered by the cone and I didn't want to deal with another week of the other dog going absolutely bonkers everytime she laid eyes on this dog).  But man with this dog there is always something going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

How stupid can we get?  We create inflation doing this the first time around, being warned by economists and fully knowing it would cause inflation, and now because we got the expected inflation, this is a reason to heap more fuel on the fire?  Ugh.

• Like 3

Wins this week:
Our credit union is sending out dividends.  Ours is approx. $97 and some change.

Also, I sent a note to Lindt begging them to make their Oat Milk chocolate bars in holiday shapes.  Any holiday.  I don't care.  It's a candy that fits the bill for kids allergic to dairy or other issues and it's not dark chocolate.  Sadly, no oat milk snowmen have appeared in stores, but Lindt sent a $3 coupon and a "we'll send that up to our production team" sort of note back.

• Like 3

Wins:

Got a coupon for a free dog toy from HEB, woo hoo!

I also apparently have enough points from searches on bing to cash out a $15 Walmart giftcard. I didn't know this was even a thing until I looked closer and thought "What are all these points about?" Ok, I'll take it!

Cranky complaint: inflation is making everything expensive and budgets tight. And yet...and yet...the grown ups among my people are like "...and here's what I want for Christmas this year!!!"  and it's all expensive stuff. Like, first of all, I did not ask what you wanted for Christmas because you are 40-something and fully employed, soooo...go buy whatever you want? Second of all, how about I just send you some nice homemade muffins and we call it good, because if I have an extra $80-150 kicking around, I'm going to spend it on my kid or husband or maybe my dog. Or myself.

Just...who are these people and why are they mine?!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Cranky complaint: inflation is making everything expensive and budgets tight. And yet...and yet...the grown ups among my people are like "...and here's what I want for Christmas this year!!!"  and it's all expensive stuff. Like, first of all, I did not ask what you wanted for Christmas because you are 40-something and fully employed, soooo...go buy whatever you want? Second of all, how about I just send you some nice homemade muffins and we call it good, because if I have an extra $80-150 kicking around, I'm going to spend it on my kid or husband or maybe my dog. Or myself.

Oh, my!  Do you guys do big gift exchanges every year?

Ds and I went and raided the Need Tree yesterday.  I had brought home a tag from a 12yo asking for a jacket, but we headed back to the mall and saw that, with only a week until Christmas, too many tags hadn't moved from the branches.  So today is going to be a bit of an expensive trip.

I'm filling the ornaments for ds's team today.  I couldn't find a substitute for chocolate snowmen, so instead I'm making marshmallow snowflake pops.  I have the ribbon and sticks, I just need little bags.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Ds and I went and raided the Need Tree yesterday.  I had brought home a tag from a 12yo asking for a jacket, but we headed back to the mall and saw that, with only a week until Christmas, too many tags hadn't moved from the branches.  So today is going to be a bit of an expensive trip.

I'm filling the ornaments for ds's team today.  I couldn't find a substitute for chocolate snowmen, so instead I'm making marshmallow snowflake pops.  I have the ribbon and sticks, I just need little bags.

Aww fun.  We used to do that before Covid.  I don't know where they are currently as I don't step foot in stores

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

Wins:

Got a coupon for a free dog toy from HEB, woo hoo!

I also apparently have enough points from searches on bing to cash out a $15 Walmart giftcard. I didn't know this was even a thing until I looked closer and thought "What are all these points about?" Ok, I'll take it!

How long did it take you to get that Bing money?  Making a note to switch to that.   Score

Just checked and I had the same amount in Bing.  Who knew???

Yeah we  got rid of adult gift exchanges years ago.  It was so dumb.  People making detailed lists to the kind and brand of socks they wanted.  Just save the trouble and you buy yourself what you want and I buy myself what I want.  I don't even want gifts from dh and only homemade things from kids.  I just want to buy myself things I want and then spend money going and doing things together.

Edited by mommyoffive

9 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

It's small in number of people, but everyone has big expectations and is also picky.  Everyone is out of state, so whatever I get has to be shipped. I thought about sending a bottle of wine to everyone and calling it done, but I can't buy alcohol in my state to ship to their states, (Discovering I could not send wine was what pushed me to critical mass last night).  I'd really like to opt out of gifts exchanged between adults, but no one else will go for it. I tried it one year and it caused a lot of hurt feelings.

Basically, my people are a bit snobbish so gifts that would make other people very happy are too low-brow for my people.  They also don't like funny gifts. I sent a light-hearted gift one year, (some beer glasses with funny saying on them), and it went over like a lead balloon.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How long did it take you to get that Bing money?  Making a note to switch to that.   Score

Just checked and I had the same amount in Bing.  Who knew???

Yeah we  got rid of adult gift exchanges years ago.  It was so dumb.  People making detailed lists to the kind and brand of socks they wanted.  Just save the trouble and you buy yourself what you want and I buy myself what I want.  I don't even want gifts from dh and only homemade things from kids.  I just want to buy myself things I want and then spend money going and doing things together.

I'm not sure how long it took. I haven't paid attention to it at all.

I truly hate the adult gift exchange obligation.  I googled "Gifts for difficult people".  All the suggestions were things I'd tried in the past  and all those things were not well received. 🙄

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I'm not sure how long it took. I haven't paid attention to it at all.

I truly hate the adult gift exchange obligation.  I googled "Gifts for difficult people".  All the suggestions were things I'd tried in the past  and all those things were not well received. 🙄

What a hard position to be in.  I am sorry.  Are they your family or your dh's? 

Food?  Gift cards? 

32 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What a hard position to be in.  I am sorry.  Are they your family or your dh's? 

Food?  Gift cards? 

They are my relatives.

They don't like gift cards because it seems impersonal. Food is ok for one of the people, but not the other. My dad wants a thing that can be wrapped and put under the tree to be admired until Christmas.  We've done tickets to events and other "joint" gifts in the past, but that requires coordination effort from another relative, and they are no longer willing to do that sort of work, (which is fair). 

He likes gifts from little boutique type shops that cater to WASP-y New Englanders. I live in Texas, lol. I don't have anything like that here.

• Sad 1

Amazon Prime members! Today, December 14th ONLY, and while supplies last, rush over to Amazon where you can score a $50 Starbucks eGift Card AND a $10 Amazon Credit for just $50 when you use promo code STARBUCKS22 at checkout.

@MissLemon  Personally I would just gift them something or nothing and be done with it.  I don't abide by giving gifts that I am being told to give.  Meaning I take wish lists from my younger kids, but even then I am not following it to the letter.  But I don't take wishlists or demands from adults.  If I want to give a gift I give what I want or think the person will like.  I think everyone is allowed to put out a statement that we are doing gifts this way (or not doing them) and it to be respected by other people.  People should not be pressuring or  guilting people to give them gifts.  Especially this year when life has just been extra expensive. Gifts are supposed to come from the heart and be a joy to give.

Can you send wine through Omaha steaks, wine.com, hickory farms or one of the other places like that?

MissLemon—I have similar relatives. For the ones I could send food, I sent either Harry&David or Godiva boxes through Costco. For some others, I did boutiquey stuff from Etsy. One year I was able to do gift certificates from a local to them plant nursery to a relative. 

One of our issues has been that they want fancy wrapping. I used to wrap myself but my post office costs were over $100 themselves so now I just use other services to wrap and deliver for me.

But, yes, I feel similar frustration over both the attitude and the expense. 

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

MSN writes some of the weirdest articles. Yes, nearly half of young adults are living at home. Yes, sales of luxury goods continue to boom. But I don’t think Bella, who couldn’t swing rent and her student loans at the same time is out buying the Spring Louis Vuitton collection, iykwim. If anything, data is showing that the very wealthy are getting wealthier and having the money to splurge whereas the middle class is being decimated.

• Like 2

We've done pretty well on our heating so far this winter.  I didn't turn on the radiators until mid November this year, and our efforts to keep the house warm, but at a lower temp than usual, has really helped.  The back door was covered with heavy curtains and the drafty part of it sealed.  The AC vents are covered.  DS23's area doesn't have the radiators on at all, while three other zones are set to between 61 and 63 (16-17c).  The last zone isn't heated, due to being on an electric system. Last year we also replaced our aging hot water system, too.

Our gas bill just came. It's about 3/5 of last year's at this time, and we've used half as much.  I dislike the increase in price but I think we can keep it manageable this year.

• Like 1

I stopped into the expensive grocery store in town looking for cardamom, since they didn't have any at either of the cheaper stores I normally shop at, and happened to walk past their dairy section.  Large eggs on sale at $3 for 2 dozen!  I bought 10 dozen.

I don't think the grocery store is a chain, as I have never seen another one, but it's called Red Apple just in case.

• Like 2

I’m also really pleased with a new meal I’ve added to our dinner rotation.  Aloo mutter is a potato and peas curry. It’s filling and flavorful and pretty healthy.  I estimate it cost me maybe about $5 to make a large batch of that with rice and naan to feed our family + another meal’s worth of leftovers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

We've done pretty well on our heating so far this winter.  I didn't turn on the radiators until mid November this year, and our efforts to keep the house warm, but at a lower temp than usual, has really helped.  The back door was covered with heavy curtains and the drafty part of it sealed.  The AC vents are covered.  DS23's area doesn't have the radiators on at all, while three other zones are set to between 61 and 63 (16-17c).  The last zone isn't heated, due to being on an electric system. Last year we also replaced our aging hot water system, too.

Our gas bill just came. It's about 3/5 of last year's at this time, and we've used half as much.  I dislike the increase in price but I think we can keep it manageable this year.

Wow!! That is great.

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

@MissLemon  Personally I would just gift them something or nothing and be done with it.  I don't abide by giving gifts that I am being told to give.  Meaning I take wish lists from my younger kids, but even then I am not following it to the letter.  But I don't take wishlists or demands from adults.  If I want to give a gift I give what I want or think the person will like.  I think everyone is allowed to put out a statement that we are doing gifts this way (or not doing them) and it to be respected by other people.  People should not be pressuring or  guilting people to give them gifts.  Especially this year when life has just been extra expensive. Gifts are supposed to come from the heart and be a joy to give.

Can you send wine through Omaha steaks, wine.com, hickory farms or one of the other places like that?

No, it's some legal thing where wine can't be delivered there. I haven't dug deep to figure out the specific law, but every website I've tried says they are unable to ship alcohol to dad's location.

I've tried not sending gifts in the past and it caused HUGE drama and hurt feelings. It nearly wrecked one relationship completely.  I know, I know, it's manipulative and maybe the relationship should be lost if it hinges on receipt of a Christmas present, but I don't want to torpedo my ties to these people entirely.

11 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

MissLemon—I have similar relatives. For the ones I could send food, I sent either Harry&David or Godiva boxes through Costco. For some others, I did boutiquey stuff from Etsy. One year I was able to do gift certificates from a local to them plant nursery to a relative. 

One of our issues has been that they want fancy wrapping. I used to wrap myself but my post office costs were over $100 themselves so now I just use other services to wrap and deliver for me.

But, yes, I feel similar frustration over both the attitude and the expense. 

I think I may just send everyone a few loaves of homemade bread and let them think whatever they want to think.  I'm tired of dealing with the drama. There's always drama. I just need to repeat that it's not my job to make my relative's Christmas dreams come true. 

• Like 4

Be sure to check your inbox as you are not going to want to miss this offer! You may have received an email with a FREE $10 Bonus Kohl’s Cash valid through December 18th that can be used in-store or online!

Keep an eye out for an email titled “Take $10 off | Take 25% off + find looks you’ll love for under $30” or “$10 off |  STARTS TODAY! 25% off for our favorites.”

Possible 70% off toys at Walgreens.  Sweet for holiday presents.

Race into your local Walgreens where you may find up to 70% off select toys! It’s pretty rare for us to see this amount of savings before the holidays so don’t wait to go check it out!

We spotted deals on L.O.L. Surprise dolls, Disney Mini Brands, RC Cars, and more!

Note that most of these prices are only available in-store, however, we did spot a bunch of toys on clearance online so be sure to check those out too as you may be able to pick up at your local Walgreens!

Anyone still handling this month?

Nutcracker is over so the insane driving is over for a bit now. We will see how things shake up for the rest of the month as we may do some drop-in classes, a party, and a sleep over.   

Nature school is over too, so none of that for awhile.  Again might sign up for some camps over break.

Have been filling up for $2.53

Need to head to the bank and deposit Christmas checks. 

Making sure we used all of our FSA for ortho.

Need to go pay property taxes.

Audition season is next and we need to get everything done for that.

Renew passports

Use up the end of the year benefits and credits from credit cards.

A huge return I need to do.

Using up all the funds from school.

I need to do a grocery order as I was too tired to do it this weekend.

Need to drop off a carload of donations.

Listing a ton of toys for free and hopefully get someone to take them.

I forgot, I ruined some of my clothes in the washing machine.  Boo. I had added bleach to the cycle and it is odd that it did that, because it hadn't before.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

It's only mid month on the 19th. It's crazy how time moves in December.

The kids are all home on break. I need to go to the grocery store again.  It looks like we have the potential for some major winter weather moving in later this week, so I'm hoping to do a big stock up today to ride through this next week in case I can't get back out again. We're on the line of either ice or snow. Snow's not a problem, but ice is. We don't have enough sanding trucks to keep much open.

Other than that, we seem to be living in Lowe's this last week. We ordered our wood flooring, got it in, and are now buying tools and bits to fill in the gaps of what we need to do our own install.  Some things are hard to get, so we're ordering quite a bit also. Dh's got the next two weeks off, so hopefully we'll have wood floors soon and can get off of the plywood subfloor!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It's only mid month on the 19th. It's crazy how time moves in December.

The kids are all home on break. I need to go to the grocery store again.  It looks like we have the potential for some major winter weather moving in later this week, so I'm hoping to do a big stock up today to ride through this next week in case I can't get back out again. We're on the line of either ice or snow. Snow's not a problem, but ice is. We don't have enough sanding trucks to keep much open.

Other than that, we seem to be living in Lowe's this last week. We ordered our wood flooring, got it in, and are now buying tools and bits to fill in the gaps of what we need to do our own install.  Some things are hard to get, so we're ordering quite a bit also. Dh's got the next two weeks off, so hopefully we'll have wood floors soon and can get off of the plywood subfloor!

Us too.  Crazy cold and the weather this morning said possible 2 digit snow totals.  Joy.

More on groceries, because apparently I need to vent about this. Sorry, y'all.

Mayonnaise was one of the big things that jumped. Apparently, that is because of egg prices. https://www.mashed.com/1081788/heres-why-the-price-of-mayonnaise-is-rising-because-of-one-ingredient/

All milk products were up quite a bit: milk, butter, cheeses, cream, etc.  (If anyone knows a good marscapone substitute for use in a dessert let me know. That stuff is always pricey, but it was $9 today--ricotta isn't quite right, maybe creme freche? I need to figure this out before the making of next year's Buche de Noel cake. 

Produce was where we saw the biggest jumps. Apples were up .50/lb as the smallest jump in price. Some varieties were up $1.50/lb.. Things were mostly up between 25-40%. The best deals were in blackberries and in avocados....which just ain't right, iykwim. 

Eggs and meat are always pricey here, the only holiday sale was on ham. They had a couple left in the bin, so I left them for other people. 

Ds picked up a 12 pack of soda last night for me as a holiday treat....$8.99/12 pack...  They are $6.98 at Stuffmart, normally, but they are out, so he was at Albertson's. 

It's just crazy.

We'll be back to beans and rice and lentils next week....it's good to indulge this week...but this may be the last year of it, iykwim. 

• Sad 1

I haven't been to the grocery store yet this week and I'm dreading it.

I never found a good substitute candy for the kids' allergies.  What I ended up doing was, after filling with smaller sweets that met all requirements, giving half the kids chocolate snowmen and half the kids homemade marshmallow snowflake pops.  That way, the dairy free kid didn't feel like his was the odd one out but could still eat everything, but the gluten-free kid also didn't have to worry about cross-contamination from my kitchen.  And my own ds is thrilled that I also made large square marshmallows for his cocoa.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I haven't been to the grocery store yet this week and I'm dreading it.

I never found a good substitute candy for the kids' allergies.  What I ended up doing was, after filling with smaller sweets that met all requirements, giving half the kids chocolate snowmen and half the kids homemade marshmallow snowflake pops.  That way, the dairy free kid didn't feel like his was the odd one out but could still eat everything, but the gluten-free kid also didn't have to worry about cross-contamination from my kitchen.  And my own ds is thrilled that I also made large square marshmallows for his cocoa.

Me either.  And now I am getting stressed about it.  

I got a check from my grandma via my dad for $2000!  She is no longer with it enough to remember to send presents for birthdays and Christmas and hasn’t been for a few years, and this is supposed to be in lieu of several years’ worth of gifts for the family.  I figure that if we put $1200 into the kids’ 529 accounts and $800 into the IRA, that will lower our AGI just enough to make us qualify for our state’s full tax credit for 529 contributions.  I am so excited!  We have had a goal to put enough in to the 529 accounts to get that credit each year and we were not going to meet it.   

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Condessa said:

I got a check from my grandma via my dad for $2000!  She is no longer with it enough to remember to send presents for birthdays and Christmas and hasn’t been for a few years, and this is supposed to be in lieu of several years’ worth of gifts for the family.  I figure that if we put $1200 into the kids’ 529 accounts and $800 into the IRA, that will lower our AGI just enough to make us qualify for our state’s full tax credit for 529 contributions.  I am so excited!  We have had a goal to put enough in to the 529 accounts to get that credit each year and we were not going to meet it.   

Yay!!!  Double duty