Menu

Which Vitamix heats soup best?

Kanin

I think I'm getting a Vitamix! Yay. I make lots of soup, and blend lots of things, so... I'm ready to make my life easier. I see that the Vitamix can make hot soup. Does it matter which model? Do I need the $$$ version? And does it really work well, or would I probably end up blending in the Vitamix, then heating on the stove anyway?

Thanks!

Any model will heat the contents if you blend long enough. How hot do you want your soup? You can get warm-hot soup by blending maybe 5 minutes, but if you like it really boiling, burn-your-mouth hot, then you'll probably need to boil it in a pot. Or if you're putting in hot ingredients, that will make for a hotter soup — e.g. if you're putting in roasted veg straight out of the oven, and pureeing them with room temperature broth, that would be pretty hot quickly. If you're throwing in some vegetables and broth or milk straight from the fridge, you're probably going to have to blend for 10 minutes or so to get soup-level-hot, so a microwave would be faster (and I couldn't listen to a Vitamix motor for 10 minutes anyway...)

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

I have the 5200 and have used it to make/heat soup a few times.  It does not have any of the present functions (which I don't really see a use for).  I think any of the Vitamix that are lower priced than the 5200 have small volume capacity.  It is worked fine to mix and heat soup; it makes me a bit nervous for the motor to run and run in that I am afraid of burning out the motor, but Vitamix says to go ahead and let it run and that it has a safety shut off to prevent overheating.   I don't use too often for soup, however, because I am either making a soup that I want chunky pieces in or I want to simmer the soup to let flavors meld rather than just making a hot smoothy.

8 hours ago, Clarita said:

What?!  I didn't know this, but I just use the immersion blender then it's blend plus the soup is piping hot for my husband.

I MUCH prefer an immersion blender for soup making too.  It’s probably my most used kitchen appliance.  

• Like 1

The Vitamix is great if you just want a few portions of soup for a quick lunch. When I bought my first Vitamix, the guy who was doing the demo in Costco made soup with canned fire-roasted tomatoes, half a carrot, green onion, canned green chilies, canned black beans, handful of tortilla chips, vegetable broth, garlic, and a Southwest seasoning blend. That made a hot, tasty soup in 5 or 6 minutes from room temperature ingredients, and I've made a similar soup at home. I've also made soup with leftover roasted carrots, cauliflower, and butternut squash, blended with a little curry paste, garlic, ginger, veggie broth, and coconut milk. Here are a few other examples of soups made in the Vitamix using leftovers or roasted veg (so no stove-top cooking required):

Roasted Cauliflower Soup: https://downshiftology.com/recipes/roasted-cauliflower-soup/

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup: https://downshiftology.com/recipes/roasted-red-pepper-tomato-soup/

Bacon Cheddar Potato Soup made with leftover baked potato: https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/recipes/bacon-cheddar-potato-soup