Menu

Prime video without an Amazon Prime subscription

ProudGrandma

Is it possible to pay for just a prime video subscription without paying for Amazon prime?

I started paying for Amazon prime when I actually received packages within 2 days... that is no longer the case and I haven't moved.  It takes a week or more for packages to arrive and I am trying to figure out why I am still paying for prime.  

The only 2 things I use are prime video and ordering through Amazon. 

So,  is it possible to only get prime video? If so,  how much is it? 

Thanks. 

I don't think so.

a lot of movies are available on u-tube, or other sites.   some of the k-dramas I've seen listed on netflix, I've been able to find on other sites (mydramalist is one).   that one had a better translation of the subtitles . . . . .  

so in other words....no Amazon prime subscription, no prime video?  Well, shoot.  Prime is going up in price....and I do not feel like I am getting any benefit to their shopping service any more....it really stinks.  I am not sure why, since I didn't move, in 2020, when the world fell apart, so did their 2 day shipping (and arriving to my house) service went to 2 day shipping, but arriving in 2 days plus a week shipping.   GRRR!!!!!!!!!  My SIL in Austin can order something in the morning and often expect it to be there that night or the next morning.  I do not expect that kind of service...but I am paying the same as she is and getting way worse service. 

• Like 2

According to Amazon, you don't need a prime membership to access prime video. But it looks like there is not access to everything. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ref_=hp_left_v4_sib&nodeId=GZCHXL8CUW3VWJQP

You do not need to have an Amazon Prime membership to use Prime Video.

Customers are able to purchase or rent a selection of titles from the Prime Video catalog, without needing an Amazon Prime or Prime Video membership.

Purchases from the Prime Video Store are automatically charged to your 1-Click payment method. As soon as the order completes, purchases are available to view in Purchases & Rentals.

Edited by marbel

39 minutes ago, marbel said:

According to Amazon, you don't need a prime membership to access prime video. But it looks like there is not access to everything. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ref_=hp_left_v4_sib&nodeId=GZCHXL8CUW3VWJQP

You do not need to have an Amazon Prime membership to use Prime Video.

Customers are able to purchase or rent a selection of titles from the Prime Video catalog, without needing an Amazon Prime or Prime Video membership.

Purchases from the Prime Video Store are automatically charged to your 1-Click payment method. As soon as the order completes, purchases are available to view in Purchases & Rentals.

so I might have access....but it's not free is what I am gathering.   Would that be correct?  That still stinks. They should have a different (lower) subscription just for Prime Video....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

so I might have access....but it's not free is what I am gathering.   Would that be correct?  That still stinks. They should have a different (lower) subscription just for Prime Video....

Yeah I don't know, I was just curious after your OP and looked it up, and got no further than the link I posted. My husband and I were talking about  our own Prime membership the other day, when it renewed and I was stunned at the cost. I have been moving away from Amazon -- I don't buy books from them anymore, and don't automatically assume it will be a better price for everything than, say, Target. But my husband uses it a lot for computer parts and such, things he can't find locally and needs quickly. We are still getting good shipping service though. 

Since I recently quit my job - and thus stopped working 4 nights a week - we will probably take advantage of prime video more. 

So, without really running the numbers but knowing that it's still a good value for us, we've determined we will keep it another year. 

As for offering a lower price for a video-only subscription... that's just not their business model. I am no Amazon apologist, but... that's just not how they choose to do it. 

ETA: You might find this useful in determining if Prime is still a good value to you, if you use any other services, or if it's cheaper just for prime video than using other streaming services. https://www.amazon.com/b?node=23945845011&ref=pc_help_benefit_all

Edited by marbel

Found this easy enough googling, but I don't know if it will also increase soon

https://www.techhive.com/article/613201/how-to-pay-less-for-amazon-prime-video.html

Prime is $140/year or $15 a month, thereabout? Or $9 month for movies, plus rental for their more popular ones, and free for their ones on Freevee, which previously was called IMDB. Then you'd need to decide if your shipping costs would then actually increase your monthly costs to more than$15. 

It's getting to be a pain for us to decide which streaming channels we want to pay for. So many movies have been removed and put in special channels for extra costs. It's beginning to be similar in cost and to the negative feelings I had for cable tv years ago

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kfeusse said:

so in other words....no Amazon prime subscription, no prime video?  Well, shoot.  Prime is going up in price....and I do not feel like I am getting any benefit to their shopping service any more....it really stinks.  I am not sure why, since I didn't move, in 2020, when the world fell apart, so did their 2 day shipping (and arriving to my house) service went to 2 day shipping, but arriving in 2 days plus a week shipping.   GRRR!!!!!!!!!  My SIL in Austin can order something in the morning and often expect it to be there that night or the next morning.  I do not expect that kind of service...but I am paying the same as she is and getting way worse service. 

Yes I'm in the Greater Austin area and have not noticed any decline in Prime.

so....I contacted Amazon....and simply said something like "Why do I need to pay the same amount for Prime as my family who live in Austin, TX, but they get their orders in 1-2 days and I have to wait a week or longer for my order?"  Long and short of it....I am getting a full refund for last year's prime as soon as I pay for this year's.  Granted the price went up...but I am getting this year's prime for a lot less.  I never expected that to happen...but I won't complain.   Sometimes it pays to let companies know you are not happy with something.   It would be nice if there were different price tiers based on location or something...but I suppose that would be too difficult. 

Anyway, just wanted you to know.  "why do I have to pay the same subscription price as my family in Austin TX, where they get their orders the day they ordered it or maybe the following day and I have to wait a week or more for my order to arrive.?"

• Like 5

Another problem I have noticed is that when we first got Prime (years ago) we had my hubby, myself and my two youngest dds on our account. They have remained on our account until sometime this past summer even though they are both adults I guess because they both still lived in our household. However, just a few days ago one of them went to place an order and was told that their account was no longer active. We looked it up and sure enough you can now only have two adults, four teens and four kids. We were given no notice or anything. Now at Christmas time with all our of us ordering it was certainly worth it but I do not know that it would be with just my hubby and I ordering.

11 hours ago, kfeusse said:

I’m pretty sure there is such an option. There was when I was looking at joining prime a year or so ago. I think it is what they’re calling Prime Video in the snippet posted above, and the membership that includes shipping is called just Prime.

Edited by Emba