Menu

I wonder how this will go

Scarlett

DHS showed up at my brother’s house today with a report that his 11 year old is not in school. He isn’t. This second year he has been unschooling him. In AR all that is required is to file a Notice of Intent each year, which my brother did.  DHS man did not check with the local school,to see if he had filed his NoI….

A little back story, my brother’s XW ( mother of this child) is deceased.  She has a cousin that had a relationship with my brother when they were teens. After my brother’s wife died she tried to renew that relationship and my brother told her no way. She recently got a job with DHS in a neighboring county.  Guess where this guy was from? Yep same office.  When he heard she got that job he was sick with worry that she would make trouble for him. Looks like he was correct.  

My guess is they will strong arm my brother into using a curriculum of some kind if he is going to keep him home.

• Sad 10

2 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

If all that is required is a NOI, then all he has to do is show that he filed it. I don't see how they can strong arm him into doing anything further?

I wonder.  I mean the worker said they would possible test my nephew and maybe see if educational neglect is going on……but I told my brother that is a joke because the % of kids in public school who would fall beneath that standard is very high.  That is when he reminded me about the bulletin board in the lobby of that local school that had a Dr Seuss quote ‘There is no one alive who is youer than you’.  Except they had ‘There is no one alive who is youer then you’. He texted the principal and told her it was wrong….she said ‘oh Dr Seuss just uses funny words’.  He sent her a screen shot of the quote from Google with the one in the school next to it…..trying to explain to her it was WRONG.  Crickets.  And they did not change the sign.

• Sad 6

If I were your brother, I'd be filing a notice with her boss that any more visits coming from their office will result in a harassment complaint against the cousin and her employer. 

If he still has any digital communications  (text, social media, voicemails) from when she tried to instigate a reinstatement of the old relationship, I would make sure there are back-up copies. I'd also consider making some kind of statement and getting it recorded with local law enforcement to create a contemporaneous paper trail. Not as a true complaint or needing LEOs to do anything yet - just so there is a record if there is any further overreach by the cousin's department.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

DHS showed up at my brother’s house today with a report that his 11 year old is not in school. He isn’t. This second year he has been unschooling him. In AR all that is required is to file a Notice of Intent each year, which my brother did.  DHS man did not check with the local school,to see if he had filed his NoI….

A little back story, my brother’s XW ( mother of this child) is deceased.  She has a cousin that had a relationship with my brother when they were teens. After my brother’s wife died she tried to renew that relationship and my brother told her no way. She recently got a job with DHS in a neighboring county.  Guess where this guy was from? Yep same office.  When he heard she got that job he was sick with worry that she would make trouble for him. Looks like he was correct.  

My guess is they will strong arm my brother into using a curriculum of some kind if he is going to keep him home.

Wow! So sorry. It’s 2022, and homeschoolers should not have to live in fear. I agree to file a complaint. I’m curious what type of documentation they have on their end for the visit… lies. She should lose her job. Meanwhile, there’s a child suffering somewhere else…

• Like 3

Well he is putting the child back in school and I can’t say that is a bad thing.  But I definitely think he should follow through on reporting her unethical behavior.  

I have been a bit torn on this issue because I don’t think he is doing ‘enough’, whatever that is.  But his child is not my child.  He is the parent, not me.  And I promise you there are plenty of kids in this public school who are less educated than my nephew.  And I also loathe the idea that someone is violating their ethical responsibilities. 

I so so hope she gets fired. 

• Like 1