Menu

So today is my FAFSA day! Questions...

mlktwins

I am finalizing all my numbers for the FAFSA and running all the NPC again with actual info (although my estimates were pretty good).

Here are my newbie questions of the day:

I am almost 100% sure we won't qualify for financial aid for 2023-2024 school year.  Things have changed for our 2022 income so maybe for their sophomore years and beyond we will.

Neither my boys nor my DH and I will be taking out student loans.

We are hoping for nice merit aid packages 😬!

Given this info, what benefit is it to fill out the FAFSA form?

Should I rely on the NPC as being close to correct and click the button NO for the question that asks if we are seeking financial aid?  Would this be a benefit to not require financial aid at our reach school?  We know they don't offer any merit aid already.

For NPC, I am using current asset info and 2021 tax info, correct?

THANK YOU!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I am finalizing all my numbers for the FAFSA and running all the NPC again with actual info (although my estimates were pretty good).

Here are my newbie questions of the day:

I am almost 100% sure we won't qualify for financial aid for 2023-2024 school year.  Things have changed for our 2022 income so maybe for their sophomore years and beyond we will.

Neither my boys nor my DH and I will be taking out student loans.

We are hoping for nice merit aid packages 😬!

Given this info, what benefit is it to fill out the FAFSA form?

Should I rely on the NPC as being close to correct and click the button NO for the question that asks if we are seeking financial aid?  Would this be a benefit to not require financial aid at our reach school?  We know they don't offer any merit aid already.

For NPC, I am using current asset info and 2021 tax info, correct?

THANK YOU!

A lot of schools require FAFSA in order to qualify for any aid at all, need based or otherwise, so that's why you fill it out (I guess you could forego it if you're positive they're not applying to any schools where that's the case and you're similarly positive you don't qualify for any need based aid). And yes to 2021 taxes/current assets. I don't know if there's any benefit to clicking "no" about seeking financial aid or not. Have fun! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dd's school requires we file a FAFSA in order to be considered for merit aid.  We too do not qualify for any financial aid......at least not that we are willing to take.  But I do have to file every year so dd's merit aid is renewed.  It's a pain.  

That said, is is FAFSA time again already?!?!  I feel like I *just* did this.  Where is SpyCar?  He is usually who reminds me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't think we'd qualify for anything either, but I learned that all of the school's scholarships required us to fill out the FAFSA.  

I had all of my numbers gathered ahead of time, so filling out the application went very quickly.  I was surprised!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1