Menu

Glass food container PSA

Carrie12345

I’ve converted almost entirely to glass (with airtight plastic lids) and love it. But now I’m going to be drilling glass safety into my kids because, if their father can have this happen, they sure could, too!

I don’t ever want to hear anyone hollering for me and telling me there’s glass in their food again!  After lining up the piece with the knick and being 99.9% positive we got the whole thing, we deduced that the glass container had been held over a ceramic bowl while scooping leftovers for reheating, and the two were tapped together at some point. (The piece was on the underside of the glass lip.)

PLEASE use caution when handling glass containers! 😳

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

And ….also…..remember to teach them never to put a hot glass pan onto a wet countertop or onto a damp kitchen towel.

Also, not to suddenly go from one temperature extreme to the other. 

Lastly, you might want to make sure the glass you use for reheating and baking is made of borosilicate glass. Most of it nowadays is not. They stopped using it at some point, but borosilicate is safer for high temperatures. Less chance of exploding. 

I remember threads about exploding Pyrex here before, and I preach about all this because I’ve seen exploding Pyrex happen. 

• Like 6

Most of my newer glass containers have chips on the rims. I don’t stack them in the sink, don't hit them on anything, etc. My sense is that they are much more cheaply made than in years past, and sometimes I do worry about their integrity. Once I found a sizeable shard of glass that had removed itself from the rim and ended up inside the container. Had I not been paying attention, I would have filled it with our leftovers and one of us would have ended up swallowing the glass. 

I have had the unfortunate experience of dropping a smallish glass storage bowl on the counter (Formica, so not exactly hard like granite) and having it explode on impact. I found glass in 3 rooms, the shards flew so far.

Interestingly, I bought some Duralex glasses that are supposed to be harder to break and, when they do, they crumble into little pieces of glass with smooth edges, looking something like tumbled glass rocks. One day, I broke one. It took less force than I would have thought, but I may have hit it just right. Anyway, sure enough, the glass broke into little smooth pieces. This glass is supposed to be more resistant to extreme temperature changes and breaks into smooth pieces for safety. Even though one broke, I still love Duralex. Note: Only some of their pieces are oven safe. 

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'd love to convert to all glass but the safety and logistics deter me. RA and OA make my fingers and hands too clumsy. I envision all sorts of disasters.

I am there with you. I keep look for ceramic or stainless with lids. Of course, we can't microwave stainless, but I am pretty terrible about bumping glass around. I need durable!

• Like 2