Menu

dealing with test anxiety

Hi all,

My first two kids are stellar testers. My third gets major test anxiety. 

She doesn't have generalized performance anxiety. For example, she auditions very well on violin and frequently is the first performer in recitals because the teacher wants the first performer to set the tone for confidence and excellence. 

But... she just sort of jams up when she takes tests. If she hits one question that is hard, she may forget how to do arithmetic, for example. She had a pop quiz at co-op yesterday and got a 50%, despite working hard in the class and diligently completing both the homework and separate notes.

She has a placement test soon. What can I do to help her with testing anxiety? 

Emily

DON’T QUOTE

My youngest has dealt with this for a few years. She’s in college now. The college is encouraging her to pursue accommodations (she says she won’t…), but she does take a very low dose of anti-anxiety meds and started to see a counselor at school. So try out all of the strategies first, but sometimes it takes an extra something to get past it.  

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 3

It sounds like she can do it, but freezes up and does poorly? I mean, I'd take that over refusal to budge and go in the room when a test is there. This sounds like a case for classic exposure therapy. Slowly introduce and help mitigate.

But also, keep things like test optional colleges in mind long term.

• Like 2

My 4th one was like this. Even something called a "quiz" by the curriculum which was easy and not timed and very much not a big deal induced tears and fear and bad performance.

I did an at home achievement test with her several years in a row and jokingly cajoled her by poking fun at all the silly questions and how she knows this stuff and reading the oh-so-serious-you-must-read-it-just-this-way-instructions in a silly stern voice until she finally realized it wasn't as big of a deal as she thought it was. I hate hate hate hate HATED making her do a standardized test every year - that was part of what we hated about ps! - but she really needed the repetition to get over her fear.

After several go rounds she finally took the ITBS test last year with no problem and even commented on how easy it was. Waaaaaay different than when she was in 3rd grade!

• Like 2