Menu

Question for people who can sew

MEmama

I bought a pair of athletic pants that are perfect in every way….except the seams on the crotch are tearing! This is actually my second pair— I didn’t figure the same thing could happen twice, but here we are. It doesn’t seem to be a fit problem, maybe just that the fabric isn’t very stretchy? Idk, but I really, really want to keep this pair if at all possible.

So my question is, would seam reinforcing tape work in this kind of situation? Are there other solutions, or do I just need to give up on them? 

32 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Do you use a sewing machine?  Sew by hand?  Here's a hand-sewing Youtube   You can actually be proactive and do another line of stitching there before holes develop. 

Yes, I would do another line of stitching on my machine but it can also be done by hand. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I don’t sew or have a machine. The material is nylon maybe, like windbreaker pants. I can mend basic things but this material makes me nervous— like all my mistakes will be super obvious.

Ugh. If it wasn’t for one (granted, extremely important) thing these pants are perfect! 

2 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

It can be the fabric, some are thin or have no give.  I would try to repair it, if its not too thin, but it may just be the fabric since its happened twice. 

I agree. When that's the case, it can help to add in a small patch on the inside of the garment. Sew the seam line both on the actual weak seam and on the patch--the patch offers stability.

It's the same idea as when sewing with silk or a fragile fabric, we double up with muslin on the underside to place less stress on the seams of the fragile fabric.

• Thanks 1