Menu

Anyone familiar with Gainesville, Georgia area?

TarynB

Just wondering if anyone here is from or familiar with Gainesville, Georgia? DH is looking at a job there, going soon for an on-site interview, and we would very much appreciate any insider tips or knowledge on that area, good or bad. Anything and everything is of interest to us. TIA! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TarynB said:

Just wondering if anyone here is from or familiar with Gainesville, Georgia? DH is looking at a job there, going soon for an on-site interview, and we would very much appreciate any insider tips or knowledge on that area, good or bad. Anything and everything is of interest to us. TIA! 

Feel free to PM me.  I have a close friend that lives there and could connect you.  She is also manages a real estate appraisal business and knows the housing situation well.  She is not a realtor but could steer you in the right direction.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Feel free to PM me.  I have a close friend that lives there and could connect you.  She is also manages a real estate appraisal business and knows the housing situation well.  She is not a realtor but could steer you in the right direction.

@Ottakee Thank you so much! I just sent you a PM.

• Like 1

Several of my dd lived there for several years. They all liked it. It is a very large suburb about 45-50 minutes north of Atlanta. There is a college in town there and just about every retail or restaurant type establishment you could want. The is Lake Lanier and a small waterpark kind of place on the lake. There is plenty of housing and the cost of living was not terrible when they lived there. There is a large hospital in town. You are close enough to Atlanta to go to the zoo, or museums, or Ikea. The traffic in Gainesville is not horrible but in Atlanta it is. And the weather is weird. It get very hot in the summer but also gets snow in the winter, not a ton but enough to cause driving difficulties sometimes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zimom said:

Have lived there more than once but not in a few decades. Gainesville is a great town on a huge lake, Lake Lanier.  I still know a couple of people there, one in realty.  

@zimom Wonderful to hear that it's a great town. Thank you! And DH loves to fish and hang out on water, so having that lake close by would be a major positive for him.

4 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Several of my dd lived there for several years. They all liked it. It is a very large suburb about 45-50 minutes north of Atlanta. There is a college in town there and just about every retail or restaurant type establishment you could want. The is Lake Lanier and a small waterpark kind of place on the lake. There is plenty of housing and the cost of living was not terrible when they lived there. There is a large hospital in town. You are close enough to Atlanta to go to the zoo, or museums, or Ikea. The traffic in Gainesville is not horrible but in Atlanta it is. And the weather is weird. It get very hot in the summer but also gets snow in the winter, not a ton but enough to cause driving difficulties sometimes.

@KidsHappen Thank you, I really appreciate this info! Everything you mentioned sounds like major benefits to living there. And weird weather, well, that's not ideal, and very good to know, but we have that where we live now too, so I guess we can deal with that if we have to. ☺️

Edited by TarynB

17 hours ago, Annie G said:

We live an hour from Gainesville, and drive through it regularly on the way to see my dad. Lots to see and do in the area, and I think you’d enjoy it. Homes are definitely cheaper away from the lake.  Hope it works out for you!

@AnnieG Thank you! It's nice to hear positive things from someone who is familiar with the area!

3 hours ago, TechWife said:

I grew up there & have family in the area. Feel free to PM me with questions. It has it's pros & cons.

TechWife, thank you again! I greatly appreciate all the info you've sent.

• Like 1