Menu

Question about photo IDs (Ohio)

Context: My oldest daughter just turned 15 and will be taking her first AP exam this coming May.

Are TIPICs (Temporary Instruction Permit Identification Cards - an Ohio driver's permit) an acceptable ID for an AP test? Do they have a photo? (I grew up in and learned to drive in NY state, so I don't know much about Ohio permits. In New York when I was a teenager, driving permits were just a yellow piece of paper; there were no photos or official cards.)

Anyway, my issue: Awhile back, I asked here if students need a formal ID for AP testing. The consensus was that your student does need a photo ID. I went ahead and got both my daughters official Ohio state ID cards (oldest was still 14 at the time). I thought I was all set. But then today I was reading up on when she can get her driver's permit. The Ohio BMV says she can get one when she turns 15 and six months (this December), but that you have to surrender your Ohio ID card when you get one. So, I just went to all the trouble of getting the official ID card, but now it looks like she has to give it up in order to get her permit. So, she'll have a permit, but she won't yet have her official license before the AP test. Does anyone have experience with this? (Special thanks to any Ohio people who can clue me in!) Thank you!

I’m going to let the Ohio people answer the Ohio part but NY learner’s permits now have pictures on them. Also, I know with the SAT you can use a notarized form with a picture on it as ID—so I’m sure that would work. Although none of my kids have actually ever been asked to show ID for their AP tests ( SAT yes.) You could probably google an image of the ID you are wondering about. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, freesia said:

I’m going to let the Ohio people answer the Ohio part but NY learner’s permits now have pictures on them. Also, I know with the SAT you can use a notarized form with a picture on it as ID—so I’m sure that would work. Although none of my kids have actually ever been asked to show ID for their AP tests ( SAT yes.) You could probably google an image of the ID you are wondering about. 

Thank you for chiming in! Appreciate the good ideas! 

• Like 1

Ohio Tipics have a photo. You no longer receive them same day, so there’s a paper copy until the ID comes in the mail.

ETA: I just renewed my license and the old card was punched and returned to me with the paper copy of a new one. I’m supposed to carry both until new ID arrives.

Edited by Acorn
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Acorn said:

Ohio Tipics have a photo. You no longer receive them same day, so there’s a paper copy until the ID comes in the mail.

ETA: I just renewed my license and the old card was punched and returned to me with the paper copy of a new one. I’m supposed to carry both until new ID arrives.

Oh, yay! Thank you so much for letting me know! Okay, that's so good to know. (She'll get her permit in December, so I'm sure the official ID will arrive in the mail by May. Well, I hope, lol!) Thank you!

5 hours ago, EKT said:

Are TIPICs (Temporary Instruction Permit Identification Cards - an Ohio driver's permit) an acceptable ID for an AP test?

Do they have a photo?

First question--I don't know. They look just like a driver's license, but they say driver's permit on them.

Second question--Yes.  

I don't know why it won't work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

First question--I don't know. They look just like a driver's license, but they say driver's permit on them.

Second question--Yes.  

I don't know why it won't work.

Thank you for responding; I appreciate it!

I feel better now; I think it should be fine. The CollegeBoard website says students who don't have a school ID need to bring a government-issued photo ID. The TIPIC, as far as I can tell, meets that criteria. (It is government-issued and I now know it has a photo, lol.) I was so concerned initially because I didn't think it had a photo. Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1