Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW24: 52 Books Bingo - Clef Notes

Robin M

Happy Sunday! Whenever I think of religious characters, I think of chanting monks which brings us to our next 52 Books Bingo category - Clef Notes. Music comes in all shapes and forms so read books about music, learning to read music, musicians and singers, Tibetan monks and singing bowls, Gregorian chants in a church, or just go with the flow and see where your mind takes you. 

Read a book with Clef  or Notes in the title. 

Read a book about Musicology 

Read a book with musical notes or instruments on the cover

Read a book from The Capitol Theatre's list of 10 Books That Every Music Lover Should Read

Read a book from About Great Reads list of  50 Great Novels about Music.

Our letter and word of the week are X and Xango.

Have fun following musical rabbit trails! 

Link to Book Week 23

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges.

Edited by Robin M
Fixed link for Capitol Theatre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a book hangover. I finished #2 in Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive  - Words of Radiance - a chunkster of a book at 1328 pages.  Really good and so full of twists and turns, didn’t know how it was going to end. The third book Oathbringer is waiting in the wings.
In between I read Julia Spencer Flemings first book in the Clare Ferguson/Russ Van Alstyne mystery series – In the Bleak Midwinter. I really enjoyed, although Clare struck me as a bit of a twit, err, um, rash, no...  impulsive and passionate with jumping in to try and help the police chief. 

Middlemarch is still slowly in process. 

For our clef notes read, we have several books about music including Paul McCartney’s Lyrics which is a huge two volume coffee table book with 154 songs and his personal notes about each one. It will be a perpetual read. Also have David Grohl: The Storyteller which I’m looking forward to reading. 

Started Nora Robert's Nightwork and enjoying the heck out of it. 

• Like 4

Thank you,  Robin!  I have to say I have spent awhile with the Clef note lists.  I am grateful as that was one of the harder bingo squares for me.

So I have moved on to finding a Z book which I always find difficult because I was convinced I didn’t like the many thrillers by Rebecca Zanetti……I tried one years ago and never tried a different one.  Her “You Can Run“ popped up on a list recently and I decided to try it.  It rates high in the romantic suspense category imo and I am looking forward to the next in this series being released.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57937502-you-can-run

From GR…..

Laurel Snow wouldn’t call hunting a serial killer a vacation, but with a pile of dead bodies unearthed near her Genesis Valley, WA, hometown, she’ll take what she can get. Yet something about this case stirs her in unexpected ways. Like the startling connection she feels to Dr. Abigail Caine, a fiercely intelligent witness with a disturbing knack for making Laurel feel like she has something on her. Then there’s Laurel’s attraction to Huck Rivers, the fish and wildlife officer guiding her to the crime scene—and into the wilderness…

A former soldier and a trained sniper, Huck’s thirst for blood is rivaled only by his fierce pursuit of Laurel. He’s been burned by love, wounded by the government, and betrayed before, and to say he has trust issues is the ultimate understatement. Plus, he might be closer to this killer than anybody knows…

Once in the heart of darkness with Huck, Laurel must negotiate her distracting desire for him, her complex rapport with Abigail—and her mission to find a serial killer among a growing list of suspects and a danger that’s far too close to home. So close in fact, Laurel fears she will never find her way back to the woman she once was…

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

HOW TO CRAFT NON-HUMAN CHARACTERS WITH PLENTY OF PERSONALITY

https://crimereads.com/how-to-craft-non-human-characters-with-plenty-of-personality/

The Deeply Personal Art of Organizing Your Books

https://www.tor.com/2022/01/20/mark-as-read-book-organization/#comment-935699

Not really bookish but from an author --

Peaceful Challenges: Assembling a Jigsaw by Robin Hobb

https://www.tor.com/2017/05/11/peaceful-challenges-assembling-a-jigsaw/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I got caught up in a book called The Marriage Lie https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29095401-the-marriage-lie. which all my quilt blogger buddies are loving.  It’s not a new book, simply more a case of one person read it/loved it/reviewed it and everyone else seems to be enjoying it too.  Goodreads is all over on reviews.    Like many I was at the edge of me seat for the first half ……in my case I peeked at the end because I had to go to bed as it was 2am.  The second half was anticlimactic but I suspect if you don’t read the end first it would be far more exciting.

From GR……

Even the perfect marriage has its dark side…

Iris and Will’s marriage is as close to perfect as it can be: a large house in a nice Atlanta neighborhood, rewarding careers and the excitement of trying for their first baby. But on the morning Will leaves for a business trip to Orlando, Iris’s happy world comes to an abrupt halt. Another plane headed for Seattle has crashed into a field, killing everyone on board, and according to the airline, Will was one of the passengers on this plane.

Grief-stricken and confused, Iris is convinced it all must be a huge misunderstanding. But as time passes and there is still no sign of Will, she reluctantly accepts that he is gone. Still, Iris needs answers. Why did Will lie about where he was going? What is in Seattle? And what else has he lied about? As Iris sets off on a desperate quest to find out what her husband was keeping from her, the answers she receives will shock her to her very core.

• Like 4

I read all 3 Linesman books this weekend. I enjoyed them mostly due to Ean's character. I also reread the Green Man series by Juliet E McKenna, the last of which is set in 2020 UK just after lockdown. Good to have references to masks, uncertainty, lockdown, all the washing hands stuff . . . 

• Like 5

The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi was a fun almost movie like bit of Sci Fi. Perfect for a fan of Godzilla.....and to my Dd the word Kaiju is a huge tip off.😉 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57693406-the-kaiju-preservation-society  It wasn’t awesome but it was an entertaining read that I would happily read another installment of.  From GR......When COVID-19 sweeps through New York City, Jamie Gray is stuck as a dead-end driver for food delivery apps. That is, until Jamie makes a delivery to an old acquaintance, Tom, who works at what he calls "an animal rights organization." Tom's team needs a last-minute grunt to handle things on their next field visit. Jamie, eager to do anything, immediately signs on.

What Tom doesn't tell Jamie is that the animals his team cares for are not here on Earth. Not our Earth, at least. In an alternate dimension, massive dinosaur-like creatures named Kaiju roam a warm and human-free world. They're the universe's largest and most dangerous panda and they're in trouble.

It's not just the Kaiju Preservation Society that's found its way to the alternate world. Others have, too--and their carelessness could cause millions back on our Earth to die.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, bookbard said:

I read all 3 Linesman books this weekend. I enjoyed them mostly due to Ean's character....

I think that Ean is a big part of the reason why I like the series, too. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

My local book group is meeting tomorrow. For the meeting I read Anxious People: A Novel by Fredrik Backman which proved to be a far more entertaining read than many of our prior books; it was also silly and poignant. This is my first book by this popular author. Those who have read this and others of his books, would you say this is representative of his works?

"Looking at real estate isn’t usually a life-or-death situation, but an apartment open house becomes just that when a failed bank robber bursts in and takes a group of strangers hostage. The captives include a recently retired couple who relentlessly hunt down fixer-uppers to avoid the painful truth that they can’t fix their own marriage. There’s a wealthy bank director who has been too busy to care about anyone else and a young couple who are about to have their first child but can’t seem to agree on anything, from where they want to live to how they met in the first place. Add to the mix an eighty-seven-year-old woman who has lived long enough not to be afraid of someone waving a gun in her face, a flustered but still-ready-to-make-a-deal real estate agent, and a mystery man who has locked himself in the apartment’s only bathroom, and you’ve got the worst group of hostages in the world.

Each of them carries a lifetime of grievances, hurts, secrets, and passions that are ready to boil over. None of them is entirely who they appear to be. And all of them—the bank robber included—desperately crave some sort of rescue. As the authorities and the media surround the premises these reluctant allies will reveal surprising truths about themselves and set in motion a chain of events so unexpected that even they can hardly explain what happens next."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finished Uhura's Song. It completes my Star Trek Universe BINGO square. What a delightful book. I wish Uhura had played a bigger part and not have been relegated to a secondary character (sometimes page after page would go by without her even being mentioned). Still, I am happy I read it and couldn't put it down today (read 4 hours straight and ignored other obligations).

• Like 5

Last night I finished We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse Book 1) by Dennis Taylor; this was a fun science fiction read. If my library had the next book, I'd happily read on. Have you begun your read, @Robin M?

"Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street.

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty.

The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad - very mad."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I also enjoyed rereading Written on His Skin by Simone Stark; this is a contemporary romance (with significant adult content).

"Letters are magic, don't you think? You could be anyone. I could be anyone. And then, suddenly, we're more than anyone. We're someone...

When Abigail Trent agreed to write a letter to a soldier deployed overseas, she expected it to be a fleeting exchange. A friendly back-and-forth that ended barely after it began. She didn't expect Theodore LaRoux.

It isn't strange that writing feels so good. It's right. Here's my secret: I like making you feel good...

Abby didn't expect Roux to be a living fantasy, either--sexy, smart and strong enough to star in every one of her dreams. So, was it any wonder that when he asked for a photo, she sent one that would star in his dreams? The fact that it was a picture of someone else wouldn't be a problem. After all, it's not like they'd ever meet...right? Wrong."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Just realized that not only did I not post in this thread over the weekend, but I completely missed posting last week. Ooops. Definitely not the only ball I have dropped in the last month or so.

At the moment, I'm about halfway through listening to Counterfeit, by Kirstin Chen. It's very light and a perfectly pleasant novel, although not what I was expecting based on the reviews I had read. 

I've started slowly dipping into The Heroine's Journey: For Writers, Readers, and Fans of Pop Culture, by Gail Carriger. I've had it tentatively on my TBR list since she announced she was writing it, but now I am registered for a live webinar she's leading on the topic next weekend. (Before anyone asks: Nope, I'm not a writer. I'm just a fan of a couple of this author's series and find the concept of an alternative to the traditional "hero's journey" very interesting.)

Also recently finished:

• The Scandalous Lady W., Hallie Rubenhold - Very much enjoyed this one. I had never heard of the story and chose it solely based on the fact that it was written by the same person who wrote the The Five (about Jack the Ripper's victims). However, it turned out to be a fascinating story not only about the specific people involved but about the time and place in which they lived.
  • The Personal Librarian, Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray
  • Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, Barbara Demick 
  • The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters, Balli Kaur Jaswal 
  • Disorientation, Elaine Hsieh Chou
Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

On 6/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, Kareni said:

My local book group is meeting tomorrow. For the meeting I read Anxious People: A Novel by Fredrik Backman which proved to be a far more entertaining read than many of our prior books; it was also silly and poignant. This is my first book by this popular author. Those who have read this and others of his books, would you say this is representative of his works?

Regards,

Kareni

Anxious People was my first Fredrik Backman too. I loved it. I’ve also read A Man Called Ove, which I also loved. I think silly and poignant are good words to describe it. ☺️

Those are the only two I’ve read so far, but I definitely plan on reading more of his books. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 11:54 PM, mumto2 said:

The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi was a fun almost movie like bit of Sci Fi. Perfect for a fan of Godzilla.....and to my Dd the word Kaiju is a huge tip off.😉 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57693406-the-kaiju-preservation-society  It wasn’t awesome but it was an entertaining read

Thank you for this, I downloaded it and agree - entertaining read. And I realised while reading this why I am feeling a sense of comfort while reading books set during the pandemic. It's like reverse gaslighting. I'm not crazy! Covid did happen! Masking, isolating, everyone in it together . . . 

• Like 3