Menu

Question about getting a PCR test - or not

mlktwins

I started not feeling great last Friday (the 3rd) - tired, a little achey, scratchy throat.  The next morning my throat was hurting and I was a lot achey.  Sunday and Monday I felt pretty good.  Sore throat gone.  Achey feeling gone.  Towards evening I didn't feel as good, which is normal for me when I have a bug, but yesterday I started feeling sick again.  This morning I feel like I have a nice cold.  No cough and never had a fever.  Just a runny/stuffy nose and a little bit of stuff in my throat (when I clear it).  I am taking Mucinex and Sudafed (the little red pills) to keep things open.

So....for my question.  I have taken 5 rapid tests (1 per day) since Saturday.  All negative.  Should I get a PCR just to be sure?  I am still masking in my house when I am not in my office/temporary bedroom (LOL).  So far no one else is sick.  I am scheduled for eye surgery next Wednesday.  That is my main concern.

Since I haven't been anywhere to get anything new, should I assume that what I have now is a continuation of what I had on Saturday?  I was not looking too good on Saturday and my family was shocked to see how good I was doing on Sunday. 

If I do get a PCR, should I do it today or tomorrow?  I just did a rapid test 1/2 hour ago.

I would get the PCR just for the peace of mind. They are just more reliable.  Otherwise, I would worry about it all the way up to the day of surgery.  Plus, If you find out now, you can reschedule the surgery more easily.  

With that said, there are lots of other viruses that cause cold symptoms.  It would not be surprising to have something else besides Covid.  I don't think the two days of feeling healthy really affects anything.  It doesn't really matter if it is one long cold or 2 short ones, or one general cold and 1 Covid.  All you really want to know is if you have Covid now.  So go ahead and get the PCR test.    ( Note:  In my area, these are still administered for free if you have Covid symptoms.  If you live in an area where this is a giant expense, I might choose differently.) 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Your progression sounds a lot like mine, so I would say go get the test.

I was trying to find where you talked about your symptoms, etc., but am not seeing anything.  Did you test negative on rapid and positive on PCR?

12 minutes ago, dsmith said:

It took me three days to test positive on a rapid. I'd get the PCR if I were you, or re-test. On day 6 I was testing positive so quickly with such a dark line that I stayed in isolation the full 10 days. 

Thank you.  Getting a PRC at this moment and will probably do another rapid tomorrow.  What a mess…

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you.  Getting a PRC at this moment and will probably do another rapid tomorrow.  What a mess…

Are they going to test you before surgery? Are you required to show a negative test within in a certain time before?

So, DS had major surgery two weeks ago. They changed the requirement so that they test only if a person has symptoms/exposure. 

If this PCR is negative, then you've done your due diligence on figuring it out.

If you are still sick leading up to the surgery date, then call them and ask them what they want you to do. Some places are still screening people at the door, and if you are going to a stand-alone surgery place, I can almost guarantee that they will either treat it like a cold because they are "done" with Covid, or they will test you on the surgery day. 

I would not keep stressing over it on your end if you get a negative because you can't conjure up an answer, you can only tell them what you know. If you get a positive, then I would tell the surgeon right away and see what they want you to do.

I am sorry that it could mean lesser outcomes if the surgery is delayed. That would stress me out. But you can't make it less stressful with more testing after this point. Only the surgeon's office can tell you what they care and don't care about and what their policies are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After 10 days of not getting better, I went to the doctor.  I started on antibiotics this morning and am already feeling better than I did - the best I've felt in the nighttime since last Friday.  I'm calling the surgeon's office tomorrow morning to see what they want me to (that will be with 3 doses in me so far).  The way I've been feeling, I was thinking of cancelling.  Now I have hope :-).

• Like 5