Menu

WTMA SAT Prep course?

We took our first WTMA course this past fall and it was wonderful. I am making notes to myself for future reference and I saw that WTMA offers an SAT prep course. Has anyone taken it? Was it "worth" it? (How necessary do you feel formal test prep courses like these are? I vacillate between hating the idea and thinking a formal course would likely be helpful.) 

I'm debating between this SAT prep course or possibly the Mr. D SAT math boot camp. (If we decide to do either of them, my daughter would likely take these courses next year--in the summer or fall 2024--but I'm making notes to myself in my new teacher planner now, so I don't miss the sign-up deadlines next year. Figured I'd start collecting info about the courses while it's on my mind.) Thanks for any feedback or advice!  

No experience with either courses. But, if you considerineg 2024 test dates, I would not take the classes now.  Colllege Board will start administering the NEW SAT in the U.S. in 2024.  the classes will be outdated by then.  the NEW SAT will be implemented outside the U.S. in 2023. College Board will probably release practice tests then. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gstharr said:

No experience with either courses. But, if you considerineg 2024 test dates, I would not take the classes now.  Colllege Board will start administering the NEW SAT in the U.S. in 2024.  the classes will be outdated by then.  the NEW SAT will be implemented outside the U.S. in 2023. College Board will probably release practice tests then. 

Oh, this is so good to note--thank you. I will keep this in mind!

No experience with the WTMA class, but we've found that the free SAT prep on Khan Academy is plenty of prep. I definitely wouldn't ASSUME your kids need more than that without doing some practice tests and seeing how those go.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kokotg said:

No experience with the WTMA class, but we've found that the free SAT prep on Khan Academy is plenty of prep. I definitely wouldn't ASSUME your kids need more than that without doing some practice tests and seeing how those go.

Mine did some Khan, the SAT Prep Black Book, and some practice tests.  I would start with that for a first test and see how she does.  You can always add a prep class later.

I am not following anything regarding the new SAT test though.  My guys are done with SAT after this summer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gstharr said:

I am assuming that would not be mid-year and must mean the 2024-2025 school year, right? 

I am teaching Algebra 2 to some juniors next year who will taking the SAT during the 2022-2023/2023-2024 school years. I plan to incorporate SAT practice all year. 

On 5/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, EKT said:

We took our first WTMA course this past fall and it was wonderful. I am making notes to myself for future reference and I saw that WTMA offers an SAT prep course. Has anyone taken it? Was it "worth" it? (How necessary do you feel formal test prep courses like these are? I vacillate between hating the idea and thinking a formal course would likely be helpful.) 

I'm debating between this SAT prep course or possibly the Mr. D SAT math boot camp. (If we decide to do either of them, my daughter would likely take these courses next year--in the summer or fall 2024--but I'm making notes to myself in my new teacher planner now, so I don't miss the sign-up deadlines next year. Figured I'd start collecting info about the courses while it's on my mind.) Thanks for any feedback or advice!  

My oldest son took this class a few years ago. As far as test prep classes go, it's fine. Mr. Caro made it fun for the kids, and it was an outside class that made some of the prep get done in a timely manner.

Since that time, we have learned a lot more about prep for the SAT. Now, I don't think any class would be the best use of prep time. There is no way to make a class meet the individual needs of different students, whether it be Princeton Review, WTMA, or any other provider. What really makes a difference in the score is just having the student grind through as many problems as humanly possible. This means taking all old tests, going through UWorld problems, finishing all the chapters in the College Panda math book as well as the College Panda Math test book, and just going crazy with the amount of time that you have. You have to see a wide variety of all of the tricks, and the best way to do that is just large amounts of exposure to the questions.

The reddit group r/SAT is also a good place to find the most up-to-date resources. You will find a lot of kids on that group using inexpensive resources on their own and achieving really big score improvements. No fancy class necessary at all.

That said, if you have a kid that wants no part of test prep and is unwilling to do anything independently, then maybe a class would be the only way to get it done. 

• Like 2

For practice questions, UWorld is far and away the best source of questions outside the official SAT tests - I got a 1580 using it.  

1600.io is another great site (they have feee walkthroughs of the first 4 sat practice tests), and Erica Meltzer has a great SAT reading book and writing book. Studylark has another great SAT writing book.

Edit: for a math book for high (650+) scorers, College Panda and the Orange book are great. 1600.io is givibg free access to the orange book untul the august sat. I think they shared the code in the sat subreddit. I can get it if you're interested

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 6:19 AM, gstharr said:

Just to clarify about the new SAT rollout (it will be computer-based and adaptive; no more long reading passages with multiple questions - it will have short reading passages with a single question; no more no-calculator section with math - you'll be able to use your calculator for all math questions; it will be a little over 2 hours instead of 3 hours)

International students will take the new SAT starting spring 2023

US students will take the new SAT starting spring 2024.

Kahn Academy will have 4 (I think?) practice tests available for kids but I'm not sure if they'll be available this fall (Fall 2022) for the international kids or next fall (Fall 2023)

More info via the College Board: https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/digital

I'm advising my students to take the SAT fall of their junior year (fall 2023). If they're not happy with their scores, switch to the ACT for spring 2024.

• Like 1