Menu

Adding to OPGTR

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

Little Man is doing well with OPGTR. I would like to add a bit of writing and reading reinforcement. Would Explode the Code be a good choice? How about EPS Primary Phonics? Any others to consider?

ETC wouldn't add anything to OPGTR. In fact, nothing that has "phonics" in the title would add anything. Reading *reinforcement* comes from actually reading, so go to the library and check out everything. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

Little Man is doing well with OPGTR. I would like to add a bit of writing and reading reinforcement. Would Explode the Code be a good choice? How about EPS Primary Phonics? Any others to consider?

The best writing to reinforce his phonics lessons is one of those K-1 writing tablets from the dollar tree, where you and he write the words he's learning to read during his phonics lessons.

For reading reinforcement, go to the library or use book store. You now have him track with his fingers as you guys are reading together and have him read the words that he can read.

I thought OPGTR was getting a student book.  Maybe look into that?

Otherwise, I'm a big believer in cheap and free.  So for free, you can check these out:

Simplewords (there's a free workbook similar to Explode The Code)

I See Sam (look up the books - there are free, printable versions available through a site that starts with Marriot)

Tennessee phonics program - free, has sound cards, readers, workbooks...

Cheap:

Explode The Code

Jolly Phonics readers, Phonics Books, or Simple Words books

• Like 1

I use AAR but I've been getting in some handwriting practice by asking him to write some words on the word list instead of reading them. I try and pick the not so tricky words. and let him look at the list. My kid can only write about 3 words per day so there is plenty of words. I also give him a "moveable alphabet" to help him. 

I've also been borrowing random easy readers from the library and kid books from the library (big (size) words, small number of words). I let him read what he can and let him ask me for help on words. I help him whether its a word he should know how to pronounce or not. For this exercise I let him pick, twaddle is allowed.

• Like 1

I usually made my own in one of those composition notebooks with blank space at the top to draw a picture and lines at the bottom.  Keep it very simple.  I found that beyond cvc and cvc-e words, and sight words like the,  and,  etc., they weren't ready to go beyond that with writing even if they were reading beyond that point.  

I'm getting ready for kid six to start phonics, its such a fun time!  

• Like 1

WTM has a list of books for beginning readers on their site (picked by the author of OPG), broken down by difficulty. 

On 5/7/2022 at 1:49 PM, Gil said:

The best writing to reinforce his phonics lessons is one of those K-1 writing tablets from the dollar tree, where you and he write the words he's learning to read during his phonics lessons.

This is actually not recommended in OPG; it's discussed in Part 2 of the book, Information for the Ordinary Parent, along with a lot of other things. OP, it's worth a read if you haven't gone through it yet. It really belongs in the front of the book, imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, katilac said:

WTM has a list of books for beginning readers on their site (picked by the author of OPG), broken down by difficulty. 

This is actually not recommended in OPG; it's discussed in Part 2 of the book, Information for the Ordinary Parent, along with a lot of other things. OP, it's worth a read if you haven't gone through it yet. It really belongs in the front of the book, imo. 

Yeah, I always thought it odd it was tucked away back there. Maybe the thought was parent’s would get bogged down or overwhelmed if all that info was first.

Thank you for the link! I will check it out.