Menu

Lighting an office/Full spectrum lighting/home office ideas needed

Tap

I am changing to a home office. One of the biggest benefits, is not working in the basement of a building. WOO HOO!  This change also means I am in front of 3 computer monitors for 10 hours a day. Yuck! I need lighting suggestions. Please!

I am converting my bonus room into an office. It is 16x20 and has recessed lighting, so way bigger than I need, but also not cozy. I am considering changing the lighting to full spectrum to make the room easier on my brain. I will add a desk lamp and floor lamp in the corner.  It has one window that is probably 5-6 feet long, almost in the corner of the room.  My desk will be in front of the window, so the monitors will be in front of me (reducing natural light more).  It isn't a bright window location to begin with, so I don't get a lot of light from it. It was planned as a media room, so the lack of windows/lighting was planned for this purpose. 

The attached picture shows why the window lighting isn't sufficient. The window is the one behind the tree in the top right corner of the picture.  LOL I also live in the PNW, where natural lighting is minimal a significant part of the year. I don't have a picture of the room, but will attach one later if I can. 

I really, really want to maximize healthy-brain lighting. Any suggestions? Home office suggestions also welcome 🙂 All work will be virtual, so no paper print/storage needed. 

house.jpeg

Edited by Tap

• Tap changed the title to Lighting an office/Full spectrum lighting/home office ideas needed

I would not put the monitors in front of the window. I would put them facing the side of the house with the windows to your right so you have that light coming from that direction and aren't blocking it.  This also gives me a nice restful view to look outside when I just turn my head to the right.  My DH had his WFH monitors in front of the window.  With the light behind the monitors, he had to shut the blinds most of the time to better see the monitors. 

Other than that, I have no real useful ideas. I do have an OTT lamp (Hobby Lobby/Micheals, use coupon!) for reading that I really really like. It's great for craft work too. 

• Like 3

I agree.

Dh currently has the window not blocked so he has a place to rest his eyes. He used to walk between meetings (going to/from) or have chats with people stopping by his desk that would help break up his eye fatigue. His major adjustment to WFH has been trying to deal with eye fatigue from screens. Even being able to glance out onto the lawn for a few minutes between calls (ie not enough time to walk around) helps. This is especially true given our age.

As far as other lighting goes, we have full spectrum bulbs going overhead, a full spectrum ring light, and then a quieter corner with a chair when he needs a break from the standing desk, rocker chair, desk chair, etc. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I would not put the monitors in front of the window. I would put them facing the side of the house with the windows to your right so you have that light coming from that direction and aren't blocking it.  This also gives me a nice restful view to look outside when I just turn my head to the right.  My DH had his WFH monitors in front of the window.  With the light behind the monitors, he had to shut the blinds most of the time to better see the monitors. 

Other than that, I have no real useful ideas. I do have an OTT lamp (Hobby Lobby/Micheals, use coupon!) for reading that I really really like. It's great for craft work too. 

I go back and forth on the monitors in front of the window too.  Oddly enough, the outside wall is the darkest in the room. It is the west wall. The roof line blocks the East light. It is a great moody room, but definitely not well lit 🙂 If I put the desk there, I will be in the shadows. 

Another idea, would be to put the desk facing the window, but about 6 feet from the window. Then put shelves with plants around the window to maximize the outdoor feel. I could possibly back light the plants to make the make the light appear brighter. LOL

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I agree.

Dh currently has the window not blocked so he has a place to rest his eyes. He used to walk between meetings (going to/from) or have chats with people stopping by his desk that would help break up his eye fatigue. His major adjustment to WFH has been trying to deal with eye fatigue from screens. Even being able to glance out onto the lawn for a few minutes between calls (ie not enough time to walk around) helps. This is especially true given our age.

As far as other lighting goes, we have full spectrum bulbs going overhead, a full spectrum ring light, and then a quieter corner with a chair when he needs a break from the standing desk, rocker chair, desk chair, etc. 

I agree about focusing away from screens when possible!!!  Do you have any recommendations about full spectrum lights? 

41 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I would not put the monitors in front of the window. I would put them facing the side of the house with the windows to your right so you have that light coming from that direction and aren't blocking it.  

We've just returned to the office full time, but at home mine face the window as I wasn't able to arrange the layout of the room any other way. The curtains were drawn most of the time to allow better visibility of the monitors.

I'd leave the window open if you can.

A reading light in addition to other lighting is useful.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tap said:

I agree about focusing away from screens when possible!!!  Do you have any recommendations about full spectrum lights? 

So, daylight bulbs filter out some of the warmer light rays in order to achieve brightness and efficiency. They usually have a color rendering index of like 80%.  Full spectrum bulbs put you into like 96%....it matters in terms of pupil dilation & seasonal affective issues. Some studies show you may even have vitamin D processing from full spectrum bulbs. Amazon carries full spectrum bulbs, and we just popped them into the existing light fixtures.

I'll ask dh about his ring light at the next break. 

• Like 1

I like having nerdy children. . . 

1ds has been installing "smart" light switches for smart lightbulbs in 1dd's house.  You can adjust the color and the lumens - and with the smart switch, you can program from your phone.   ds has it set to slowly come on in the morning.  it mimics the sunrise.  Nice in our northern winter where it is still dark at 7:30am.

I've installed some ceiling lights in my theater that I can adjust lumens and some color - which I generally only have on when I'm cleaning in there.  They came with remotes.

• Like 2