Menu

EIW Pros and Cons

When EIW was first released, hsers in my community were all over it. And I have just never understood the draw. Which is fine; lots of people don't understand the draw of Spalding, either, so there you go. 🙂 I am just not impressed with the writing samples I've seen. I also don't care for the cutesy labels for things.

I have always preferred Writing Strands, which has zero cutesy factor but which really teaches children How to Write.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

When EIW was first released, hsers in my community were all over it. And I have just never understood the draw. Which is fine; lots of people don't understand the draw of Spalding, either, so there you go. 🙂 I am just not impressed with the writing samples I've seen. I also don't care for the cutesy labels for things.

I have always preferred Writing Strands, which has zero cutesy factor but which really teaches children How to Write.

? Eiw? Maybe I haven't seen enough samples. Are you thinking IEW or am I confused?

On 5/4/2022 at 3:58 AM, mom2bee said:

Yuck, no! If you're going to reject a publisher because it's

then you definitely don't want CAP Writing and Rhetoric.

Or CAP Well Ordered Language.

My kids do really good with W&R, I love it!  Its so creative, and if you teach it aloud, its fun and engaging.  Its a very different approach to writing,  not a formal 5 paragraph essay style.  Ive taught every level except 4- Cheria.  Some are better than others.  Dont recommend if your kid just needs help with an outline- this is more artistic style writing imo.  

I tried EiW for levels 3, 5 and 7.  I did not like the example essays.  The organizers are okay,  my kids just refused to watch the videos.  I think they are a good option if you want a graded essay course,  but I would never let it be the only writing program I used. Its very light!  

I really like the JacKris Winning with Writing for middle school.  Its clear,  good organizers, decent examples,  easy to use- laid out by week and day.  The heavy writing it towards the end if the book, and some of my kids kinda give up before we finish,  but its still good and I'd recommend it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1