Menu

Independent learner

What exactly do you want included in language arts?

grammar? 

reading?

spelling?

composition?

other?

We didn't really do grammar until Analytical grammar in middle school.  (And both my kids did well.)

We read real books that they wanted to read.  Once they were in 3rd grade they didn't need help decoding words.  My younger child did do some reading comprehension books but the older one did not need them.

Spelling can be learning words on a list and then having a weekly test. 

I never really taught composition.  We did a more Charlotte Mason approach where we learned writing from reading good writing and then writing in content areas like history and science.  Both of my kids are good writers though my youngest was a late bloomer when it came to writing. 

12 hours ago, hollandpartyof5 said:

Do you think the writing is too heavy for a 7 yr old? 

Nope. If you're concerned you could start with Bible Heroes or People and Places, but as an independent learner I'm assuming the student is more advanced in language, and I regret wasting my time with Bible Heroes. My average student is now doing what I linked to you for 3rd and doing just fine. She's actually going to accomplish 3 years in 2 because it's only 24 weeks and she loves it and doesn't want to take a break. Andrew is very funny and they all laugh regularly at the videos. My 11 year old who has completed 3 theme books and 2 video courses is an astonishingly good writer.

You also could do both Bible Heroes or People and Places and the first video course in one year for a gentler introduction. Both Bible and People will be completed very quickly, but you will get to work side by side for a little while, and learn the program better.

• Like 1

Mine could do Rod and Staff grammar pretty independently.  It included composition.  In 3rd grade I usually would do the teacher lesson book/memory work with her once a week or so and look over the lesson daily as I was handing it over to her.  But mine was always strong in language, so that was an easy thing to hand off to her to do on her own most of the time. 

• Like 1

Well, I'll be honest. I don't think at 7 language arts should be independent. They are still fairly young and I think being independent at that age just sets you up for problems. BUT if you mean something you teach and then has practice sheets of what you taught then that's another thing 😉

I'm honestly not worried about grammar and composition at 7 so I' would do some copy work and let it go if your struggling for time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any program (language arts or otherwise) that is designed so that a 7yo can use it independently is not one that I would want to use.  Actually, I would take this further to add that one of the strengths of homeschooling is that it allows for extensive one on one interaction with your student.  This means that you can keep them in their zone of proximal development much of the time.  If you offload instruction onto a static program, you need to ensure that the level of difficulty is such that the student can do it independently.  In my experience, especially when dealing with young children, work at this level is busywork by definition.  

• Like 5