Menu

R&S Math Thread

5 hours ago, Green Bean said:

2 ducks in the pond and 3 in the grass. How many ducks altogether? 5

It’s the highly effective way 2nd edition introduced and practiced the fact families.

That is adorable!

In the ABC preschool set, Middle just learned...

Down the trunk,

around a tree,

Add a branch,

it's 5 you see! 🤣

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Down the trunk,

around a tree,

Add a branch,

it's 5 you see! 🤣

R&S math doesn't work well with my kids, but I kept the math 1 book just for the silly number rhymes. I read it to both my kids when they practice writing their numbers. My kindergartner gives me a weird look and my pre-K'er recites it with me. 

• Like 3

I taught mine to form 5 in one motion. Over (to the left), down, hook around. Less pencil picking up and faster. 7 gets a “belt” because I picked up doing that when I lived overseas. I love the one for 8: s curve down but do not wait, climb back up to form an 8 or something like that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 10:23 PM, Green Bean said:

I taught mine to form 5 in one motion. Over (to the left), down, hook around. Less pencil picking up and faster. 7 gets a “belt” because I picked up doing that when I lived overseas. I love the one for 8: s curve down but do not wait, climb back up to form an 8 or something like that. 

Make an S but do not wait, climb back up to make an 8. 

I learned the number 5 as a continuous stroke, too, but the top line was curved like a smile. Middle attempts to start 5 as one stroke because he is used to drawing the letter S. Unfortunately, his 5 ends up looking like an S so I teach the way R&S instructs in order to avoid confusion and I correct him every time so he will remember the correct starting point. He loves making 7s and says the rhyme as he draws them: Across the sky and down from Heaven, this is how to make a 7.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I saw the samples in the newsletter, and I would buy the revised 3rd grade math in a heartbeat, but I'm coming up on my last 3rd grader and she'll use what everyone else did before her (R&S 3 daily with MEP  and Singapore sprinkled in a few times a week.)

But that new book looks mighty nice. 🙂

• Like 1

I bought the old version of Math 3. I am hoping it will work well. Any advice? Did you skip the review lessons? 
Did you need any supplements for multiplication? 
From what I can see it is 2 pages to copy in a notebook and one workbook page per lesson?

I love the lessons in the teacher book but I am not always consistent with them..... are they more important in this level?

1 hour ago, Stoppingby said:

I bought the old version of Math 3. I am hoping it will work well. Any advice? Did you skip the review lessons? 
Did you need any supplements for multiplication? 
From what I can see it is 2 pages to copy in a notebook and one workbook page per lesson?

I love the lessons in the teacher book but I am not always consistent with them..... are they more important in this level?

Copying the drills isn't important, as there is plenty of practice on the word problems in setting up the numbers. Instead, have your little dc fold his notebook paper on a line, and place the paper on the textbook page, right under a row of problems. Then he just writes the answers.

I would say the oral class time is important. That's where the dc learn to do the things; the seatwork doesn't teach them how; it just gives them practice. It's better to teach first, then have the review, than to teach the problems as they do them. You might have to make some adjustments to the oral class time, since your "class" consists of only one student 🙂

9 hours ago, Ellie said:

Copying the drills isn't important, as there is plenty of practice on the word problems in setting up the numbers. Instead, have your little dc fold his notebook paper on a line, and place the paper on the textbook page, right under a row of problems. Then he just writes the answers.

I would say the oral class time is important. That's where the dc learn to do the things; the seatwork doesn't teach them how; it just gives them practice. It's better to teach first, then have the review, than to teach the problems as they do them. You might have to make some adjustments to the oral class time, since your "class" consists of only one student 🙂

Thank you! Actually, I have two students. One is about a month behind the other. And I was trying to get them on the same level before starting book 3- to make class time easier for me to implement. 
But the one that is complete is ready to start!

I love the idea of folding the paper and writing the answers- genius!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 8:27 AM, Stoppingby said:

Thank you! Actually, I have two students. One is about a month behind the other. And I was trying to get them on the same level before starting book 3- to make class time easier for me to implement. 
But the one that is complete is ready to start!

I love the idea of folding the paper and writing the answers- genius!

I still have the previous edition that I used with my oldest, but will be purchasing the newer edition for my youngers. The previous edition is good, but do not skip the supplemental workbook as that is where money, time, and other concepts beyond basic math facts and word problems are covered. The newer edition has combined the concepts into one reusable textbook. R&S found that the leap from the previous edition third grade to the current fourth grade text was a struggle for many students. R&S revised third grade and are also working to revise fourth grade to help students make the transition smoother.

Edited by Servant4Christ

Thanks! I bought my copy last year (before I knew about the upgrade)! I was a little disappointed that Idid that - but I got a good deal on the books that I got. 

I am hoping it will give them a good understanding of the concepts they need before moving on to the next level.
I am not sure if we will move on to R&S4 or make the switch to Saxon 5/4 after this year. Any experience with that?

On 5/4/2023 at 8:27 AM, Stoppingby said:

Thanks! I bought my copy last year (before I knew about the upgrade)! I was a little disappointed that Idid that - but I got a good deal on the books that I got. 

I am hoping it will give them a good understanding of the concepts they need before moving on to the next level.
I am not sure if we will move on to R&S4 or make the switch to Saxon 5/4 after this year. Any experience with that?

I have not used Saxon (mastery seems to work better for us), but I have looked at it many times over the years. From what I remember, I don't think going from R&S grade 3 to Saxon 5/4 will be a very smooth transition just based on the scope and sequence, but there are placement tests to find out for sure. Saxon (as well as CLE and many other math programs) introduces students to some very basic early geometry and algebra concepts that R&S doesn't introduce until higher grades. R&S focuses on arithmetic backwards and forwards so that when students are introduced to geometry and algebra concepts later on, they can move through it at a quicker pace with better understanding. It's two different timelines. Saxon 5/4 will assume certain topics have been introduced even though R&S hasn't gotten there yet.

Edited by Servant4Christ

14 hours ago, Stoppingby said:

No experience, but that would have been my plan, as well, although I would probably have my dc finish the 4th grade R&S text, then take the Saxon placement test. The fourth grade R&S text is done more independently than the 3rd, which would be better preparation for Saxon math, I think.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:06 PM, Servant4Christ said:

I have not used Saxon (mastery seems to work better for us), but I have looked at it many times over the years. From what I remember, I don't think going from R&S grade 3 to Saxon 5/4 will be a very smooth transition just based on the scope and sequence, but there are placement tests to find out for sure. Saxon (as well as CLE and many other math programs) introduces students to some very basic early geometry and algebra concepts that R&S doesn't introduce until higher grades. R&S focuses on arithmetic backwards and forwards so that when students are introduced to geometry and algebra concepts later on, they can move through it at a quicker pace with better understanding. It's two different timelines. Saxon 5/4 will assume certain topics have been introduced even though R&S hasn't gotten there yet.

I was wondering about that! I will give the placement test next summer and see how it goes. Right now, I really like rod and staff and they seem to do well with it. I just want something they will be able to continue through school.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:15 PM, Ellie said:

No experience, but that would have been my plan, as well, although I would probably have my dc finish the 4th grade R&S text, then take the Saxon placement test. The fourth grade R&S text is done more independently than the 3rd, which would be better preparation for Saxon math, I think.

Good to know about the level of independence.... I had read somewhere that once kids know the basic facts, that they should do fine with 5/4. (That was an RC thing). But I plan on getting the curriculum sample for grade 4 R&S and want to look through it. 
Are they planning on updating level 4 as well???? 

12 hours ago, Stoppingby said:

I was wondering about that! I will give the placement test next summer and see how it goes. Right now, I really like rod and staff and they seem to do well with it. I just want something they will be able to continue through school.

BTDT Momma here. I would not concern yourself about choosing a math they can stay with from elementary through high school. Kids' needs change so much over time. Focus on what they need now to be successful.

Putting off geometry and algebra concepts until later is a plus. Memoria Press does this and those kids soar. IME the kids who struggle are the ones who don't have that firm grounding in arithmetic.

Saxon itself was written by 3 different authors and has 3 different presentations, which I am sure you already know. The switch between them is a problem for many kids. IME, Saxon high school does not have enough practice of the new concept taught each day to give even a surface understanding to carry forward into the Review sets. That doesn't mean your kid will struggle, but it is a common complaint.

Bottom line: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You have plenty of time.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 8:48 AM, Servant4Christ said:

@Green Bean

R&S has Math 3 revised! Woot! Oldest hated that extra workbook and now it's all combined in the same textbook! Oldest saw the sample and said, "This one is way better than the one I had!" 

Wait a second! Where are you seeing the new edition? I just checked milestonebooks.com and don't see it. I wanna see it!

Edited by Green Bean

9 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Wait a second! Where are you seeing the new edition? I just checked milestonebooks.com and don't see it. I wanna see it!

8 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

R&S's newsletter had samples.

I got the newsletter in the mail and then looked up milestones to find a sample and of course milestones doesn't have it listed yet. According to the newsletter, you can purchase it now (during the spring sale) but it won't ship until later this summer.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Saxon itself was written by 3 different authors and has 3 different presentations, which I am sure you already know. The switch between them is a problem for many kids. IME, Saxon high school does not have enough practice of the new concept taught each day to give even a surface understanding to carry forward into the Review sets. That doesn't mean your kid will struggle, but it is a common complaint.

Generally, people who make that complaint do not have their dc do all the problems in all the problem sets. It's important to do them all, all the time, without fail.

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

Generally, people who make that complaint do not have their dc do all the problems in all the problem sets. It's important to do them all, all the time, without fail.

Not so here. We did them all everyday until the child was crying and then we jumped ship.

[I'm disagreeing with you, Ellie, I'm sorry.] I just don't think that is true at the high school level. Younger- yes.

Edited by Green Bean

11 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I got the newsletter in the mail and then looked up milestones to find a sample and of course milestones doesn't have it listed yet. According to the newsletter, you can purchase it now (during the spring sale) but it won't ship until later this summer.

I don't get the newsletter! WAH! I will just have to wait then to satisfy my curiosity.

Ok! I hope this is not off topic. One of my kids that I am planning to do R&S3 in the fall- is wizzing through his multiplication and division facts. ( he takes less time to think about them than I do! )He sort of knew them last year- and we went through R&s2 because we needed to cover borrowing, etc. those concepts were picked up fast. Do you think R&S3 will be a good fit? (I have it on the shelf - ready to go) We love R&S3 but I don’t want him to get bored or hold him back. 

1 hour ago, Stoppingby said:

Ok! I hope this is not off topic. One of my kids that I am planning to do R&S3 in the fall- is wizzing through his multiplication and division facts. ( he takes less time to think about them than I do! )He sort of knew them last year- and we went through R&s2 because we needed to cover borrowing, etc. those concepts were picked up fast. Do you think R&S3 will be a good fit? (I have it on the shelf - ready to go) We love R&S3 but I don’t want him to get bored or hold him back. 

Does he have those facts memorized or can he just calculate them in his head quickly? The rest really depends on how well he knows the other concepts taught such as money, time, roman numerals, ect. Also, his stamina in written output should be a consideration because a lot of third grade is spent developing this across all subjects. If you go to milestones website, you can print out the R&S math placement test for free.

With my oldest, we typically accelerate and combine lessons when he is displaying full understanding, and then we slow down and sometimes take two days on a single lesson when things are harder to grasp. This is what we do no matter the grade level in both R&S math and english and it has served us well.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stoppingby said:

Even with my children who were very quick to get concepts in math, I used R&S as a consistent, daily math and stretched those muscles a few times a week with another *different in presentation* math.  My mathy children did Miquon or Singapore's Challenging Word Problems books or MEP or Evan Moor's Daily Word Problems  or played around on Khan Academy alongside of R&S.  I did not try to line it all up topically ( i. e., all the programs teaching double digit multiplication at the same time).  Just a few pages or lessons of "other math" a few times a week as time allowed.  No pressure to finish a book or level.  The R&S math was the consistent part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Even with my children who were very quick to get concepts in math, I used R&S as a consistent, daily math and stretched those muscles a few times a week with another *different in presentation* math.  My mathy children did Miquon or Singapore's Challenging Word Problems books or MEP or Evan Moor's Daily Word Problems  or played around on Khan Academy alongside of R&S.  I did not try to line it all up topically ( i. e., all the programs teaching double digit multiplication at the same time).  Just a few pages or lessons of "other math" a few times a week as time allowed.  No pressure to finish a book or level.  The R&S math was the consistent part.

We read the Sir Cumference books and played board games and card games as add-ons alongside our R&S.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...