Menu

Jr High Science Help

BusyMom5

I am looking for a science program that meets the following criteria:

1.  Easy for homeschooled 6th grader to use daily without constant supervision, with 1-2x a week discussion with me and a project every few weeks.  I can write out daily assignments,  but I do not want to make the whole thing up on my own.  As open and go as possible, but still fun and hands on.  In previous years I made unit studies up on my own.  I'm tired, lol!  

2.  A few worksheets, vocabulary,  etc. Each week just for fun and something to do.

3.  Not overly Christian,  some references okay.

4.  Engaging!  Think ADHD kid with short attention span, who loves science.  It needs to be interesting and fun- and short and sweet!

5.  Most interested topics include plants, animals, weather, biomes.

Thank you for any suggestions.  

Trying to stick with #5 in your list above (desired topics). Also including a few things that where grade 6 is at the top of the age range because that will help with more independent working and need less of your supervision (#1 above) and it might help with #4 above -- short for ADHD attention span...

Possibly:
- Sonlight Science D -- gr. 4-7; full year; covers animals, human body, and plants; books + work pages
- Nancy Larson - level 4 -- gr. 4-6; full year; covers cells, plants, animals
- Singapore Science - level 6 -- full year; student text + student workbook + teacher book; covers: human reproduction; plant reproduction; heredity; man & the environment; adaptations; + 5 physical science topics
- Elemental Science: Biology for Logic Stage -- gr. 5-7 -- student guide + teacher guide

Less fitting with the #1 and #2 on your list:
- Ellen McHenry short units: Botany in 8 Lessons (gr. 4-7); Protozoa: A Poseidon Adventure (gr. 5-8); Cells (gr. 5-8); Brain (gr. 4-7)
- NaturExplorers -- gr. K-8; Charlotte Mason-based; $16 per unit study; see samples of each here
gr. K-8; studies include: animal signs; birds; butterflies; clouds; cold; erosion; night flying creatures; frogs and toads; fungus; rock; creeks; ponds; rain; snow & ice; spiders
- Exploring Nature With Children  -- gr. K-12; Charlotte Mason-based
- Guest Hollow Botany -- middle/high school level; literature-based

Edited by Lori D.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Exploration Education fits perfectly everything but #5. It's physical science

I second this. It’s short and sweet, it has great projects, just about every day has some hands on activity. I really liked how you built something and then used it for the next couple weeks to explore the science concepts. We did it together but it is set up to do independently , open and go with all project supplies included

• Like 1