Menu

Writing "Reference" Guide or Course?

Is there such a thing as a simple one-book "guide" or even a course that covers step-by-step specifics in how to write particular types of papers: research paper, expository, persuasive, etc.? I know there are plenty of full curricula out there that cover these but I am looking to just kind of supplement a more literature-heavy curriculum or even just assign writing based on what we're learning in other subjects. (I *think* my daughter knows how to write most of these, but it would be nice to have something she could pick up and use to get started...) Does this exist?

• Like 1

The following resources are recommended in the various editions of The Well-Trained Mind: 

1) The Elements of Style 

2) Schaum's Quick Guide to Writing Great Research Papers

3) They say, I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing

4) The New Oxford Guide to Writing (rhetoric study)

You may want to read the description of each on Amazon to see which one matches what you're looking for. I will say that The Elements of Style is recommended for all four years of high school (to be read each year and referred to as needed) in all four editions of TWTM. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have not found that sort of resource, although the Site Map at OWL at Purdue has a ton of articles on ALL topics about writing (at the college level), including info about various types of papers -- so that might be worth a look. 

I have been slowly compiling my own "how-to" on the various types of papers for teaching Lit. & Comp. at my co-op classes, using excerpts from a LOT of different resources (OWL at Purdue is just one of many 😉 ). While the resources listed by the above posters are nice, they each focus on just one specific aspect, such as research writing, or, how to write a thesis for different types of essays, which doesn't sound like it is exactly what you are looking for.

One suggestion might be to compile a list of the various types of writing you want your student to do, and then look for website articles that provide the step-by-step in a concise way. One unexpected source I have found that can sometimes be helpful is WikiHow. Another helpful source can be the Writing Center of a University or Community College -- they often provide step-by-step articles that come up in an online search.

Below is a list of mine of writing assignment ideas for high school from a previous thread that I'm copy-pasting, in case it helps. For example, if wanting to do a comparison essay, you could do an online search for "how to write a comparison essay". When I did that search, it yielded several how-to articles:

- WikiHow: "How to Write a Comparison Essay"
- Master Class: "How to Write a Compare & Contrast Essay"
- University of Toronto: Writing Advice: "The Comparative Essay"
- Harvard College Writing Center: "How to Write a Comparative Analysis"

Often, you will also come up with links to tutorial videos, and even pdf files of high school class materials. If all you need is quick step-by-step, then the WikiHow, and the community college/university writing center articles tend to be short and specific. 😉 

Writing for Speaking:
- public speaking --  presentations of various types/lengths, with/without visual aid support, power point, etc.
- debate: Speech & Debate team/club; research/support arguments; Model Legislation bill debate; etc.

Real Life Writing:
- resume, filling out a job application
- writing letters of different types:
   letter to the editor
   cover letter (example: to go with a resume or application)
   request letter (example: for someone to write you a letter of recommendation)
   formal thank you (example: for scholarship award, or help in college advising)
   formal complaint letter/request for action
- business writing prep: report; memo; presenting/explaining/"pitching" info or a plan/idea at a meeting
- company newsletter article
- blog or website articles
- reports, reviews, explanation/teaching
- technical writing

Creative Writing - optional
- journalism -- news stories, sports stories, features, opinion/editorial
- poetry
- short stories, novels
- "creative nonfiction" (personal essay)

"Non traditional" Writing Assignment ideas:
- ad, brochure, poster
- journal entries, free-writing (from prompt or not)

High School/College Writing essays and other types of writing:
- science lab write-ups
- short and/or long answers to quiz/test answers
- timed essays for ACT tests or possible future college class essay exams

- personal essays (for college admission / scholarship applications)
- paragraph responses about skills/abilities/leadership/extracurriculars in answer to scholarship questions
- expository (factual) paper with citations
- research paper with citations
- argumentative research paper with citations
- reader response to a prompt question
- descriptive paragraph (+ concept of ordering the paragraph in a logical way)
- personal narrative essay (narrative with a deeper, overarching idea / lesson learned / or thesis)
- definition paragraph or short essay
- expository: news article; feature article
- expository: process ("how to") paper
- persuasive: cause and effect essay
- persuasive: argumentative essay (I have used old (pre-2016) SAT essay prompts)
- persuasive: opinion-based essay
- literary analysis: comparison essay
- literary analysis: character analysis essay
- literary analysis: explain a key quotation essay
- literary analysis: discuss a theme or literary elements and how they are at work
- literary analysis: personal application essay

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

On 3/22/2022 at 8:46 PM, freesia said:

Take a look at Writers Inc. 

Thank you for reminding me of this book! I’m going to dust my copy off; I had to purchase it for some class in high school a million years ago, and I *loved* it! I’m going to look into incorporating it into my high schooler’s life. I haven’t opened in in a couple of decades but it was one of those resources I knew I’d always keep. And I have. 

• Like 1