Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~ March 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

I can't believe it is March already.  We've been so busy this month with fun things that I haven't thought about money at all. March will be a zero spend month on entertainment and non necessities since we  spent so much in Feb.  I won't say we went over budget because we weren't sticking to a budget.

We're still waiting for the geothermal to get installed.  Drilling was supposed to happen 2 weeks ago but didn't so I don't know what the heck the timeline is anymore.  We're just over here trying to keep our darn furnace alive until the work is done.

Our refund is supposed to come in early March, which will mostly just go to retirement funds and sinking funds.

My dad just asked us if we want to buy his truck from him, which we need another vehicle now that dh is back at work.  We're trying to figure out the logistics of that.  I wasn't quite ready for a second vehicle but the deal is better than any used vehicle we could get currently so I think I have to push that timeline up.

The new phone I bought had a defect so I had to return it.  They were supposed to just replace it but cancelled the replacement so I don't know if I'm getting a replacement or refund. So, I can't order a new phone until I know.  This really messes up my ebay listing because I used my phone to take pictures. So, I haven't listed anything in 2 weeks 😞

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

We have some big expenses this month, medical and emergency vet. Tax return will put a small dent in it but it's a lot. Thank the Lord we got out of debt a few years ago and have the money in the bank. It's just so hard to let it go in such big chunks!

Ugh I am sorry about the expenses.  I hope you are all doing well.

• Like 2

scratch that about buying my dad's truck.  Now I am going to be driving it 1000 miles to take it to his winter home for him and then flying back.  I love road trips and I love that I'll have multiple days completely to myself.  Then at the end of the drive I get to see my sister!!!!

• Like 4

This month's goals:

• gather all money for youngest's driver's ed. She starts mid April, and it's cheaper if you pay upfront rather than per drive.
  • pay off a 0% credit card. Yay!
  • decide and plan for next year's school purchases.
  • look at and adjust if necessary the gas and food budgets, which could possibly derail paying off the 0% card.

Unfortunately, our rent is increasing in April, so I've been planning for that, but it's an unknown amount (we'll be charged for water, sewer and trash now). So, hopefully, not a huge increase.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

This month's goals:

• gather all money for youngest's driver's ed. She starts mid April, and it's cheaper if you pay upfront rather than per drive.
  • look at and adjust if necessary the gas and food budgets, which could possibly derail paying off the 0% card.

Unfortunately, our rent is increasing in April, so I've been planning for that, but it's an unknown amount (we'll be charged for water, sewer and trash now). So, hopefully, not a huge increase.

Yay for paying  off the cc!

I hope your increase isn't much.  We don't outright pay for trash.  Part of taxes I suppose.  But our water and sewer have had huge increases.  Like 50% a year.  We used to pay $60 every 4 months.  We now pay more than double that a month.  That is with our sewer charge in that too.  I just prepare myself for the next time they say rates are going to jump like 30% or more.  I am used to it now.  😞   I was so upset about it at first.  Yeah I get a 6% or less increase, but ours are insane.

• Like 2

We're still working on keeping up with house maintenance + medical + college expenses.  

We are still working on breaking our consumer mindset by pausing clothing purchases.

Where we can also move towards environmentally friendly practices, we're doing that as well.  We installed one last bidet seat last month, so all three toilets have bidet attachments now.  My family isn't willing to go entirely toilet paper free, but we have cut down our consumption a bit.

I'm trying out a swedish dish cloth type product. https://www.amazon.com/CARE-Natural-Sponge-Cloths-Count/dp/B0078DQXQC/ref=sr_1_34?crid=3T3HEAKNZ0AF5&keywords=swedish+dish+cloths+under+%2410&qid=1646090909&s=home-garden&sprefix=swedish+dish+cloths+under+10%2Cgarden%2C137&sr=1-34 I don't know that it will ever replace 15 rolls of paper towels like some of the advertising for similar products claim, but the first swedish dish cloth we've had we've used for a month now, and it has held up through 6 or so dishwasher washes.  I think it's really great for wiping up messes and cleaning countertops, better than a washcloth/rag.  (We already use cloth towels for drying hands and dishes.)  I still use paper towels for raw chicken and other really yucky messes.  I don't think the swedish dish cloths are good for scrubbing really dirty dishes.  I still use a brush on my cast iron skillet.

I'm still making sourdough bread every couple of days and doing salad for lunch.  I had hoped to get my lettuce and spinach going soon in our containers but we had one last cold snap and now we're having really heavy rain.  Seeds will probably go in just before St. Patrick's Day, which is our usual time, after all. We've decided not to do a full garden this year, so I have a bunch of seeds I need to sort through and give away. I may do some starts just for fun and give those away. 

• Like 4

Filled up the van.

Paid ballet tuition for the rest of the school at the new place.  Calculated the savings vs old school.   Thousands saved. 

Spent all the rest of the school funds money.  That was a couple thousand too. 

Ok.  I know I have lots to do, but I was up way too late so my brain is done for the day.

• Like 3

This month- medical and auto expenses. Dh ordered the 02 sensor for ds' car ($50). The part for my car is only $150-$200 but is going to take a long time to do (would be $750-$1000 to have it done) dh will have to wait until he has more time to get to it. 

We've prepaid all the big vaca things we can but have a couple small things we'll pay for sometime this month.

Oh, and I've got to close some accounts. Open another account and move around money.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:36 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

We're still working on keeping up with house maintenance + medical + college expenses.  

We are still working on breaking our consumer mindset by pausing clothing purchases.

Where we can also move towards environmentally friendly practices, we're doing that as well.  We installed one last bidet seat last month, so all three toilets have bidet attachments now.  My family isn't willing to go entirely toilet paper free, but we have cut down our consumption a bit.

I'm trying out a swedish dish cloth type product. https://www.amazon.com/CARE-Natural-Sponge-Cloths-Count/dp/B0078DQXQC/ref=sr_1_34?crid=3T3HEAKNZ0AF5&keywords=swedish+dish+cloths+under+%2410&qid=1646090909&s=home-garden&sprefix=swedish+dish+cloths+under+10%2Cgarden%2C137&sr=1-34 I don't know that it will ever replace 15 rolls of paper towels like some of the advertising for similar products claim, but the first swedish dish cloth we've had we've used for a month now, and it has held up through 6 or so dishwasher washes.  I think it's really great for wiping up messes and cleaning countertops, better than a washcloth/rag.  (We already use cloth towels for drying hands and dishes.)  I still use paper towels for raw chicken and other really yucky messes.  I don't think the swedish dish cloths are good for scrubbing really dirty dishes.  I still use a brush on my cast iron skillet.

I'm still making sourdough bread every couple of days and doing salad for lunch.  I had hoped to get my lettuce and spinach going soon in our containers but we had one last cold snap and now we're having really heavy rain.  Seeds will probably go in just before St. Patrick's Day, which is our usual time, after all. We've decided not to do a full garden this year, so I have a bunch of seeds I need to sort through and give away. I may do some starts just for fun and give those away. 

So, the swedish dish cloth is replacing the regular dish clothes? I use dishclothes, scrub brush, old rags, kitchen towels, and cloth napkins in the kitchen. I only buy paper towels a few times a year. I have several old rags from old towels and shirts (lots of holes and rips) that I use for things like raw meat that I only use once before washing. I do think the papertowels are useful for things that are greasy but if I buy them they get used too much by other people. I have a friend that has installed bidets but I've not made the jump yet. I need to buy new cloth pads. I never replaced my last ones when they bit the dust.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:14 AM, historically accurate said:

This month's goals:

Fingers crossed the increase is not too much!

On 2/28/2022 at 10:46 AM, hjffkj said:

scratch that about buying my dad's truck.  Now I am going to be driving it 1000 miles to take it to his winter home for him and then flying back.  I love road trips and I love that I'll have multiple days completely to myself.  Then at the end of the drive I get to see my sister!!!!

Enjoy the road trip.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1

DH purchased an oil pan drainage thing to recapture the water from the shower. Master bath is all the way on the other side of the house from the water heater, so it takes a good long while for the hot water to get there. So we've gotten used to letting it run for a while before getting in. In preparation for us paying for our water, we'll sit this on the shower floor and we can use it. We're not planning on drinking it - just watering the garden (hopefully, it'll get nice enough soon for a garden), cleaning, etc. 

I hate college expenses. DD's meal plan defaulted to "upperclassman" plan this year and I didn't catch it. They apparently expect upperclassmen to not use the cafeteria much, but my girl uses it 3x per day. Long story short, she's out of $ at the cafeteria - it'll probably cost as much to pay it now as we're paying for the four of us at home. Ugh. She's out the end of April, so only 2 months of out of pocket though. So, instead of the covid $ she just got going to tuition, it'll pay to feed her for the next 2 months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

DH purchased an oil pan drainage thing to recapture the water from the shower. Master bath is all the way on the other side of the house from the water heater, so it takes a good long while for the hot water to get there. So we've gotten used to letting it run for a while before getting in. In preparation for us paying for our water, we'll sit this on the shower floor and we can use it. We're not planning on drinking it - just watering the garden (hopefully, it'll get nice enough soon for a garden), cleaning, etc. 

I hate college expenses. DD's meal plan defaulted to "upperclassman" plan this year and I didn't catch it. They apparently expect upperclassmen to not use the cafeteria much, but my girl uses it 3x per day. Long story short, she's out of $ at the cafeteria - it'll probably cost as much to pay it now as we're paying for the four of us at home. Ugh. She's out the end of April, so only 2 months of out of pocket though. So, instead of the covid $ she just got going to tuition, it'll pay to feed her for the next 2 months.

I wish there was an easy way you could just divert that water to a barrel outside to use for watering.  That would be so handy in summer.

Ugh, do they charge more for meals after a certain date? Like it is cheaper to buy at the start of the year or semester?

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I wish there was an easy way you could just divert that water to a barrel outside to use for watering.  That would be so handy in summer.

Ugh, do they charge more for meals after a certain date? Like it is cheaper to buy at the start of the year or semester?

It's not so much they charge more now, it's that we could've paid for 10, or 15, or 21 meals a week vs. a $ amount. We ended up with a $ amount rather than the "All you can eat" package. And the cafeteria is expensive - it costs approximately as much to feed her via "dining dollars" as I spend on groceries for all of us here at home. While it's probably a better option for her to have the straight $, we didn't plan on paying anymore for her meal plan. It's not enough for a whole semester - she wasn't eating last semester very much (so she didn't run out), and her therapist/we wanted her to at least try to go 3x per day even if she doesn't eat much because she was starting to fall way below optimal weight. It seems to have worked in that she's eating well again, but now we're going to struggle to pay for her food there. It's always something. We'll just have to make sure we have $$ set aside for the next semester if we go with this same meal plan.

• Sad 1

If she was meal skipping last semester to save money, any chance she could get by with doing her own breakfast and lunch through a dorm fridge and just have a big supper in the cafeteria on a flat rate meal package plan? Ds can buy bundles of meals (like 25 or 40 or whatever) as an option outside of the 15 meals a week package or dining dollars. 

I'm sorry it's going to be a struggle. Hugs!

Random spending of the week

Bought service for my phone for the year.  I use Tracfone.  I went with the unlimited plan and it is about 15 bucks a month.

Ds needed more dance tights.  The ones he wears are on a tiny sale and still $44 a piece.  Got him the last 4 they had in stock.  Hopefully that is a good start to what he needs for summer.  He is dancing 6 days a week now, so that will help out with the constant laundry.  Need to get him some white shirts too.  He can wear just plain Hanes white tees.  But the specific dance tees fit and move better.  But they are 35 a piece.  I think I will just get him some of both.

Birthday season is around the corner for us.  We have 4 in the spring and then the other 3 in the fall. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

Today is Youngest's birthday. We had Panda Express Thursday night in preparation; she made cupcakes this morning, and we'll open gifts later today.

She wants to go to the trampoline/ninja gym later this month, but she hasn't been feeling great, so we'll probably push that off for a while. It's part of her gift though. Still waiting on some test results and she has further testing next week; she's getting close to max out of pocket for the year already though - will probably hit in April. 

Did some research on Oldest's meal plan. No way to add "All you can eat" meal swipes at this point. Super expensive to do so at the beginning of the semester as well. So, next year, I am thinking of doing the same meal plan she is on now, but setting aside $$ for mid-semester add - don't know where that money is going to come from yet, but it seems to be the best option. 

• Like 2

I drove to a further away grocery store and got some amazing deals. Most things were around half of what I had been paying at Stuffmart. We are gorging on fresh berries ($1.49/box) tonight, and I threw some burgers (10 for $6) on the grill. I didn’t realize how heavily the food budget thing was weighing on me until I felt such relief in the store. Those deals were uncharacteristically good, but even their non sale prices were so good. Even with the additional gas and time and risk of me shopping in store—this felt so worth it. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I drove to a further away grocery store and got some amazing deals. Most things were around half of what I had been paying at Stuffmart. We are gorging on fresh berries ($1.49/box) tonight, and I threw some burgers (10 for $6) on the grill. I didn’t realize how heavily the food budget thing was weighing on me until I felt such relief in the store. Those deals were uncharacteristically good, but even their non sale prices were so good. Even with the additional gas and time and risk of me shopping in store—this felt so worth it. 

Awesome scores!  We have to go 40-60 mins roundtrip away to get good deals.   We try to stock up when there are good deals or do it on the way home from somewhere.  My kids were in heaven this week eating fresh blueberries that we had stocked up on.

• Like 1

from hip2save

Through March 12th, pop over to Target.com where they’re offering Buy 2, Get 1 Free Kids Books! No promo code is needed as the book(s) of equal or lesser value will automatically be discounted at checkout.

This would be the perfect time to grab some fun coloring and activity books to put in Easter baskets!

Plus, Target RedCard holders can save an additional 5% AND get free shipping!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I priced out Easter candy and Ho-Lee Cow it is expensive right now! We normally buy everyone a Lindt bunny and then a few bags of candy for an Easter egg hunt and we are skipping it all this year. When we priced it out, it would be $50ish without even doing baskets. We will have a nice Easter lunch instead. 

I haven't even looked yet, ugh.  We usually fill the eggs for my extended families egg hunt, which will only be 12 kids this year but even that is a lot.  For our own family we always do a communal Easter basket with candy but I am not opposed to not getting Easter themed candy or to just making baked goods for the communal bowl.  We'll see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I priced out Easter candy and Ho-Lee Cow it is expensive right now! We normally buy everyone a Lindt bunny and then a few bags of candy for an Easter egg hunt and we are skipping it all this year. When we priced it out, it would be $50ish without even doing baskets. We will have a nice Easter lunch instead. 

I hadn't heard about Easter candy being expensive yet.  Sigh.    😞    I just got back from filling up with 3.99 gas.   😞    I feel like nothing this year is going to be frugal, just everything is going to be expensive. 

Gas is about $4.50/gallon here--other stations near me may be a bit higher or a bit lower, but within a .10 window of that.  I expect we will hit $5.00/gallon before the end of the month.

FWIW, Walmart candy prices are better than Target's, even with Target's sale.  Walmart selection is best online, our local Walmart stores are pretty much wiped out already. I've checked the ones within 20 miles of me.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Sad 1

You can order more free covid tests

from hip2save

Head over to USPS.com where you can request a COVID Home Test 4-Pack for FREE (if you haven’t already) – no credit card needed! There is a limit of one order per residential address and each test kit will include four individual rapid antigen COVID-19 tests.

If your household has already received their 4 free tests, every home in the U.S. is now eligible for an additional COVID Home Test Kit 4-Pack! Just head back to the USPS site to enter your request for another pack to be sent to your home.

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Gas is $4.25 today. 2 days ago it was under $4. I can't remember the last time, if ever, it got this high in this area. Perfect time for a 1000 mile road trip 🙄

That is what I was thinking.  I might have seen it over $4 visiting California or Chicago, but I don't ever remember seeing it that high here.  The price hike is nuts.  I wonder if it will ever go down?

The results of turning off the tap from Russia—which contributes around 10% of the oil exported globally—would make last year’s price rise look quaint. Investment bank JPMorgan estimates that the global benchmark price for crude oil could surge to $185 per barrel by the end of the year if Russian oil is cut off the from the rest of the world. That’s up from around $120 today and $70 at the beginning of December. The economic consequences could be severe. Already the average gas price at the pump in the U.S. is more than $4 per gallon, according to AAA, and it could go much higher. And there are knock-on effects beyond the cost of driving. Sustained higher oil prices would contribute to already rising inflation and could harm economic growth. It’s a brutal combination that would ripple worldwide.

Russia’s Ukraine Invasion Could Break Oil’s Grip On U.S. Politics (msn.com)

30 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

That is what I was thinking.  I might have seen it over $4 visiting California or Chicago, but I don't ever remember seeing it that high here.  The price hike is nuts.  I wonder if it will ever go down?

Gas price hikes aren't a new thing. I imagine they will eventually settle down 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

When I lived in the Midwest, it once hit $4.60 for a few weeks in the 2008-2009 time window.  It was CRAZY.  It's been a long time (12 years) since then.

• Like 2

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

When I lived in the Midwest, it once hit $4.60 for a few weeks in the 2008-2009 time window.  It was CRAZY.  It's been a long time (12 years) since then.

I totally don't remember that.  I had a newborn at that time, so maybe that was why.

• Like 1

According to this article, the peak nationally was over $4.00/gallon in July 2008 https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gas-prices-oil/.  Perhaps they were oddly high for my niche of the Midwest because they were having problems getting delivery trucks....but it was at a time when I was making daily trips to the hospital some distance away and the minivan gas tank had to be filled every other day.  I had a newborn that year too. 🙂

• Like 2

Filled up my minivan yesterday. Also drove to kid activity that is 2 hours away.

Skipped the second one that is another 2 hour trip away.  I hate skipping things and we should have gone.  Oh well. THey will go later this week. 

Oh, planning odd's birthday.  Going to Chicago and seeing a bunch of shows.  Also redoing her room all with gift cards so no out of pocket. 

I am looking for a job.  Just am getting stressed with all the inflation, gas, and all things rising.  

Would love the 2 older ones to get jobs too, but their schedule makes it really tough. Maybe a really part time thing.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Whelp I think I give up hope of having at least 1 kid not in braces.  The youngest hasn't lost any baby teeth yet, but already has some adult teeth growing in.  They are just like another dd that has her teeth in rows like sharks.  Sigh.  

My youngest was like that. Middle DD ended up with 2 rounds of braces because she knocked a baby tooth out, and it kicked the adult tooth out of alignment. So, 4 sets of braces for 3 kids. I could've bought a new car with what I paid/pay for braces.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, historically accurate said:

My youngest was like that. Middle DD ended up with 2 rounds of braces because she knocked a baby tooth out, and it kicked the adult tooth out of alignment. So, 4 sets of braces for 3 kids. I could've bought a new car with what I paid/pay for braces.

Yep.  It makes me so jealous hearing parents who have kids who don't need them.  I have one dd who is doing braces and 2 expanders for her first round.  I am really praying she doesn't need braces for a second round, but come on.  I am sure she will.  One kid had to have an adult tooth removed due to how it was coming in and was going to take out other teeth.  But that means keeping in a baby tooth for as long as possible and then an expensive fake tooth later.  Taking 2 other kids to the ortho next week to see if they are ready for braces.  I think this is their 3rd consult.  We shall see.   Yes a new car for sure.  I don't even want to think about it. 

On 3/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, mommyoffive said:

Soror, I saw this posted today and wanted to let you know since I know you did tutoring.

📚 Get Paid $600-$700 Per Week To Be A Reading Tutor! Work-From-Home Job! APPLY FAST!! - YouTube

VipKid has a after school tutoring thing that is starting up. I need to find out more details I've just had a lot going on and not enough bandwidth. The fact that it is afternoons also makes it a lot harder to work with my schedule. 

I think I'd orignally overbudgeted a bit in gas so I'm hoping we have enough cushion to ride out the current price hikes.

I don't think I posted but dd2 has a little job starting next week- 45 min a week- $10 helping in a little kids TKD class. She's thrilled to have some extra money. Dd1 is still working her once a week gig, it will be more in summer but glad that is it for now so we don't have to stress about transporting her. Kids with jobs is another layer of complicated with living out of town. 

I've been back in the groove with menu planning but grocery shopping has been really wonky with schedules being messed up for various reasons. 

Still need to close out 2 accounts but haven't done it yet.

• Like 1

Yeah, we had to pay for tooth extractions, palate expanders, phase 1 braces, more extractions, phase 2 braces and then finally wisdom teeth removal…for half of our kids. The others were just one phase of braces + wisdom teeth. We narrowly escaped jaw surgery with 2, so it could have been worse? We have been paying for orthodontia and oral surgery for 9 years straight for somebody in the family…and at one point three somebodies at once. We could have bought a Tesla at this point. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yeah, we had to pay for tooth extractions, palate expanders, phase 1 braces, more extractions, phase 2 braces and then finally wisdom teeth removal…for half of our kids. The others were just one phase of braces + wisdom teeth. We narrowly escaped jaw surgery with 2, so it could have been worse? We have been paying for orthodontia and oral surgery for 9 years straight for somebody in the family…and at one point three somebodies at once. We could have bought a Tesla at this point. 

I never know whether to put a sad face, a laugh, or what.  I forgot about wisdom teeth!  Yay.

It’s definitely a laugh-cry experience! Every kid is just so different in what they need.

Speaking of each kid being unique, somehow younger ds’s shoulders have broadened enough that despite no weight gain, ds needs to size up to a men’s large in shirts from a medium. I thought he could squeak by this spring by he can’t get his arms in a couple and is close to popping seams in others. Old Navy is doing clearance sales so I ordered enough to get him by (6) until the formal end of my no-buy clothing challenge May 1st. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Do y'all have any leads on bras that don't cost a zillion dollars?  I have been slowly replacing my wardrobe via the thrift stores, but I just can't bring myself to buy 2nd hand bras. The local Kohls didn't have much the last time I was there. 😕 

Unfortunately no, bras are one of the only things I happily pay top dollar for. The ladies need good support. But the expensive bras last year's so it is worth the price.

On 3/9/2022 at 6:21 AM, mommyoffive said:

Yep.  It makes me so jealous hearing parents who have kids who don't need them.  I have one dd who is doing braces and 2 expanders for her first round.  I am really praying she doesn't need braces for a second round, but come on.  I am sure she will.  One kid had to have an adult tooth removed due to how it was coming in and was going to take out other teeth.  But that means keeping in a baby tooth for as long as possible and then an expensive fake tooth later.  Taking 2 other kids to the ortho next week to see if they are ready for braces.  I think this is their 3rd consult.  We shall see.   Yes a new car for sure.  I don't even want to think about it. 

I don’t know the specifics of the adult tooth that’s coming in wrong and needs to be removed but wanted to share an experience in case it might be a possible help. Dd had a permanent top tooth coming in two places wrong (was coming in above and in front of top very front tooth when it was a canine that should have come in two places over). Instead of pulling it and having fake tooth later, a very skilled orthodontist attached a bracket to that tooth while it was still under the gum and attached a spring to the bracket and sooooooo slooooooowly brought that tooth across to it’s proper place (still under the gum) and then brought it down. Apparently it has to be done incredibly slowly so the root doesn’t get disrupted and the tooth dies. Anyway, it was successful. Amazing what can be done. This wasn’t our local orthodontist, who said only choice was to pull. This was the big city orthodontist who specializes in tricky cases. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Do y'all have any leads on bras that don't cost a zillion dollars?  I have been slowly replacing my wardrobe via the thrift stores, but I just can't bring myself to buy 2nd hand bras. The local Kohls didn't have much the last time I was there. 😕 

When I lived in your area, I would go up to the Soma outlet in San Marcos. They have Victoria’s Secret, Jockey and a few other undergarment options also. 

1 minute ago, mum said:

I don’t know the specifics of the adult tooth that’s coming in wrong and needs to be removed but wanted to share an experience in case it might be a possible help. Dd had a permanent top tooth coming in two places wrong (was coming in above and in front of top very front tooth when it was a canine that should have come in two places over). Instead of pulling it and having fake tooth later, a very skilled orthodontist attached a bracket to that tooth while it was still under the gum and attached a spring to the bracket and sooooooo slooooooowly brought that tooth across to it’s proper place (still under the gum) and then brought it down. Apparently it has to be done incredibly slowly so the root doesn’t get disrupted and the tooth dies. Anyway, it was successful. Amazing what can be done. This wasn’t our local orthodontist, who said only choice was to pull. This was the big city orthodontist who specializes in tricky cases. 

Yep.  We met with several dentists, orthos, oral surgeons about it.  They advised that they could not do the chain thing and bring the tooth up.  It was a canine tooth that was coming in horizontally.  However it was in the roots of 3 other front permeant teeth.  They said that doing that moving the tooth would cause the loss of the other 3 teeth.  Very disappointing that it wouldn't have worked for kiddo.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

When I lived in your area, I would go up to the Soma outlet in San Marcos. They have Victoria’s Secret, Jockey and a few other undergarment options also. 

Oh nuts, yeah, I am going to have to bite the bullet and go over there. It's 24 miles from here, so I have been putting it off. I've gone from a 42DD to (I think) a 36C, so I have to replace everything. Ugh 😞