Menu

Online Pre-Calc Class (BlueTent, WTMA (AOPS), or Derek Owens)

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for an online pre-calculus class for my son (10th grade), and I would love to hear any reviews or recommendations you have.     I am considering either the WTMA class (AOPS Flavor) with Mr. George Kreppein or Ms. Mindy Buller.  (Anyone have any experience with either of those instructors?)

I'm also looking at the Blue Tent class taught by Ms. Ashley Porter.  

We are also considering Derek Owens.   

------

(Just an FYI...)

My son's previous math classes have been as follows:

7th- Algebra I (Intro to AOPS Algebra A Class online)

8th- Honors Algebra II (Derek Owens)

9th- Geometry (AOPS Geometry book, self teaching at home)

Edited by TheAttachedMama

One particular thing about WTMA AOPS classes is that they allow multiple attempts at problem sets. They want students to try again to solve problems that they missed to improve on their problem solving. 

I'm pretty sure Greg is the only only slotted to teach Pre-Calc at WTMA this year. Most likely, if the time works out, my son will be doing that course next.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, calbear said:

One particular thing about WTMA AOPS classes is that they allow multiple attempts at problem sets. They want students to try again to solve problems that they missed to improve on their problem solving. 

I'm pretty sure Greg is the only only slotted to teach Pre-Calc at WTMA this year. Most likely, if the time works out, my son will be doing that course next.

Calbear, sort of OT, but I am guessing that our children actually know each other fairly well.  Did you know they are in both Chemistry and English together this year?   And I think they have had other classes together too.  🙂. Maybe math next year.  

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 1:18 PM, TheAttachedMama said:

Just a follow up question...

A few homeschooling parents that I trust have advised me to take math with an actual instructor at some point so we can ask for a recommendation letter.   Do you agree with this advice?   

You should check the requirements at the colleges you are considering and verify the type of reference they consider acceptable (or that other successful applicants have been able to use). Recommendations can be critically important. 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:18 PM, TheAttachedMama said:

Just a follow up question...

A few homeschooling parents that I trust have advised me to take math with an actual instructor at some point so we can ask for a recommendation letter.   Do you agree with this advice?   

Depends on what your student's goals are. My dd's only recommender was our county's 4H coordinator. It was fine because dd was applying to engineering schools and our extension office was through the same university as our state's flagship engineering program.

The private university she will attend had a required recommender, and they were also fine with the extension coordinator, even though that school specified that it should be a teacher (We asked- they are pretty familiar with homeschoolers, so it was fine). Dd had also done a summer program with them, so she wasn't an unknown.

We did use one of dd's Blue Tent teachers back when she applied to boarding school.

Dd also has done enough DE that she could have used one of her calc professors if necessary. 

ETA- Sort of a Zombie thread. Sorry!

Edited by MamaSprout

I don't think students need a rec letter from math specifically. I do think students need to take courses with actual instructors to get rec letters in core academics. But that could be a different area. If a student is bound for STEM, then math or science is a good choice though. It all depends.