Menu

PCR covid tests while vaccinated

busymama7

Ok we have covid in the house again. Yep. Two of my under 12s tested positive. They only had one shot so far.  I have another under 12 who tested negative.  The teens and myself are also negative(we are all double vaccinated)  However, we think one teen might have been patient zero because they had a known exposure and then a couple days later a slight headache. Then some stuffiness.  I was hoarding my one home test and then ended up using it when the second child (under 12) started getting stuffy.  That one's was positive so we all went for PCR the next day(yesterday). The teen who was possibly patient 0, it was 8 days past exposure and 5 days since the mild symptoms started.  This teen has a job and we are trying to figure out that the smartest thing to do is.  They are negative as of yesterday so could they go tomorrow? (Of course clearing it with the place of employment)

Oh possible patient 0 also had contact with an unvaccinated teen who has it now and definitely is sick, has way more symptoms then my teens. This teen could possibly be patient 0 as they were staying at our house and could have passed it to my younger ones.   We really thought my teen was the culprit but now aren't sure. 

If they had it and are vaccinated is it possible it was gone enough to not show up on the test? If it didn't show up on the test does that mean they aren't contagious even if they did have it?   Tomorrows work would be 7 days since the mild headache so still past the 5 days  they are recommending now if they did have it.  

I realize that staying home for 10-14 days is the absolute most cautious. But this teen doesn't even have a positive test.  So it would just be supposition that they had it.

There was other exposure over the holidays with adult kids/spouses who were sick and negative for COVID so any symptoms this teen has really could have been that anyways. 

• Sad 5

12 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I have no clue.  At this point, the covid info is so scrambled up in my brain, I can't remember anything.   but I wanted to say, jeez Louise, you've had enough of this crap!   I'm sorry.   Many prayers and hugs!   💛💛💛

Thanks.  The two that have it are so crazy mild that if we didn't know we wouldn't know.  Oh I forgot that I tested child 2 after cousin went home, got sick and tested positive.  Maybe I should stick that info in the long explanation. 

• Like 1

And I honestly went into Christmas knowing it was isolate or get it. I figured we would with it being as contagious.  With us being vaccinated and the one eligible for a booster having it I just figured it was what it was.  I'm not even really upset.   I could have chose differently but I wanted to see my kids who live out of state etc. And I didn't want to isolate my (vaccinated!) Teens. 

• Like 2

My vaccinated teen kept working both times there were younger siblings with covid in the house. She tested every other day and wore KN95 masks at work and at home, unless in her own room.

Never tested positive.

Edited by maize

1 minute ago, maize said:

My vaccinated teen kept working both times there were younger siblings with covid in the house. She tested every other day and wore KN95 masks at work and at home, unless in her own room.

Never tested positive.

That would be a good option except we can't find home tests anywhere.   The "rule" is vaccinated and no symptoms but she has had symptoms that could be covid.  

How far out is the teen from the 2nd shot or is the teen boostered?

If the teen is 5 days out from those possible COVID symptoms and given the negative test, I think I would get a good mask (to protect others--the Aura at Home Depot are comfortable if available) and feel ok with work personally. 

• Like 1

Gosh, that's a tricky one. With a vaccinated teen, it absolutely seems possible they could have cleared it already and tested negative on day 8. But there have also been enough other exposures in the same time period that they could have just been newly exposed by siblings and could develop it in next few days. You've just made a good argument for others for why it's a good idea to get tested to document infection if possible--your decision would be so much easier if you had been able to get them tested last week. Would the new job put them in contact with the public and/or people at higher risk (whether that be children under 5 or elderly people)? Seems like clearing it with the employer and wearing an N95 if they do go would definitely be good ideas.

I'm sorry for the tricky decision making!

1 hour ago, sbgrace said:

How far out is the teen from the 2nd shot or is the teen boostered?

If the teen is 5 days out from those possible COVID symptoms and given the negative test, I think I would get a good mask (to protect others--the Aura at Home Depot are comfortable if available) and feel ok with work personally. 

4.5 months from 2nd dose 

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Gosh, that's a tricky one. With a vaccinated teen, it absolutely seems possible they could have cleared it already and tested negative on day 8. But there have also been enough other exposures in the same time period that they could have just been newly exposed by siblings and could develop it in next few days. You've just made a good argument for others for why it's a good idea to get tested to document infection if possible--your decision would be so much easier if you had been able to get them tested last week. Would the new job put them in contact with the public and/or people at higher risk (whether that be children under 5 or elderly people)? Seems like clearing it with the employer and wearing an N95 if they do go would definitely be good ideas.

I'm sorry for the tricky decision making!

Yeah I do wish I had tested them sooner.  I had the one at home test and really didn't want to waste it on a stuffy nose.  I have done that a ton with tests all fall as I have kids with allergies too.  And I looked but couldn't find an appointment and those in town were waiting 2-4 hours at the drive up site.  So I didn't follow through with that.  I am totally second guessing myself for sure but they are vaccinated and didn't feel sick. Just stuffy.  🤷‍♀️ 

We are just asking their employer to decide.  I will try to get them a better mask tomorrow as we just have cloth and medical.  Hopefully home Depot has them.  I am negative so I don't have to isolate. It feels weird though knowing my two kids have it and thinking about leaving the house. 

Edited by busymama7

40 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I will try to get them a better mask tomorrow as we just have cloth and medical.  Hopefully home Depot has them. 

If not Home Depot, Target has the 3M Auras as well, thought it's expensive to buy them that way--$9.99 for 3 masks. They would be a good start though (rotate them and reuse) and then you could order a bigger case. Target in my area offers no contact curbside pickup, so perhaps you could do it that way?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, busymama7 said:

4.5 months from 2nd dose 

According to the new CDC guidelines close exposures within 6 months of their 2nd dose aren't required to quarantine at all. https://cdn.substack.com/image/fetch/f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:steep/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fe742ad27-fd2a-46f4-bb5b-2c6c66ea1f98_1200x761.jpeg

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Ok we have covid in the house again. Yep. Two of my under 12s tested positive. They only had one shot so far.  I have another under 12 who tested negative.  The teens and myself are also negative(we are all double vaccinated)  However, we think one teen might have been patient zero because they had a known exposure and then a couple days later a slight headache. Then some stuffiness.  I was hoarding my one home test and then ended up using it when the second child (under 12) started getting stuffy.  That one's was positive so we all went for PCR the next day(yesterday). The teen who was possibly patient 0, it was 8 days past exposure and 5 days since the mild symptoms started.  This teen has a job and we are trying to figure out that the smartest thing to do is.  They are negative as of yesterday so could they go tomorrow? (Of course clearing it with the place of employment)

Oh possible patient 0 also had contact with an unvaccinated teen who has it now and definitely is sick, has way more symptoms then my teens. This teen could possibly be patient 0 as they were staying at our house and could have passed it to my younger ones.   We really thought my teen was the culprit but now aren't sure. 

If they had it and are vaccinated is it possible it was gone enough to not show up on the test? If it didn't show up on the test does that mean they aren't contagious even if they did have it?   Tomorrows work would be 7 days since the mild headache so still past the 5 days  they are recommending now if they did have it.  

I realize that staying home for 10-14 days is the absolute most cautious. But this teen doesn't even have a positive test.  So it would just be supposition that they had it.

There was other exposure over the holidays with adult kids/spouses who were sick and negative for COVID so any symptoms this teen has really could have been that anyways. 

I think it is possible that it won’t show up on a test. Sorry, no scientific proof. Just speaking from experience and it makes sense. The vaccine is doing its job. 

I don’t know about your question.