Menu

Dd wants a book of quotations

Here are two:

Great Treasury of Western Thought, edited by Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren, 1771 pages. The subtitle is "A Compendium of Important Statments on Man and His Institutions by the Great Thinkers in Western History. The editors have arranged the quotations by topic such as Man, Love, Emotion, Language, Nature and the Cosmos, Art and Aesthetics, History, etc. Within each topic there are 5-15 subtopics. Some of the quotations are a sentence; others are several hundred words. The 340 page index is quite useful.

The Great Quotations, compiled by George Seldes was published in 1960. Seldes has arranged this book alphabetically by the person being quoted rather than by topic. The 190 page index is organized by topic. The advantage and the disadvantage of this book are the same: the book is fifty years old. On one hand it contains many quotations that might not appear in current books. On the other hand it doesn't contain any quotes from the last fifty years.

If I were receiving such a gift I would rather receive a two or three second-hand books of quotations rather than one new one.

Here's a quotation to consider: "The greatest quotations of the greatest men of all time dealing with liberty and democracy are censored, or wilfully omitted, in Bartlett - so much so, in fact, that it is possible to produce a volume equal to Bartlett - up to 1600 pages - giving none but the greatest quotations of all time, not one of which is in Bartlett." ("The Great Quotations, p. 13)

Here are two:

Great Treasury of Western Thought, edited by Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren

I had no idea that this single volume existed. I found it at our library in the Reference Room. THANKS so much for this. I have been looking for something like this for a while, but didn't know that it existed in a single volume.

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

my son really likes it. It has all the quotes categorized into subject areas. It's a big thick book. The Title is "Quotionary". I found a good used copy on Abebooks. He has used it several time for some of his papers and it's been a big help for preping for the writing portion of the SAT. That's why the lady recommended it.

I had no idea that this single volume existed. I found it at our library in the Reference Room. THANKS so much for this. I have been looking for something like this for a while, but didn't know that it existed in a single volume.

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks!

Janice

Thanks for taking time to let me know you found the book helpful.