Menu

Poetry curriculum

LauraClark

I think I'd like to add in some poetry writing to ds10.  He's written some Shel Silverstein-type poems in the past, but I'd love to open his mind to all the different kinds of poems there are (I mean writing them, we have read other poetry). Anyone have a poetry writing curriculum they like?

We have loved Michael Clay Thompson’s Music of the Hemispheres & Building Poems - so much so that we’ve completed each book more than once! It covers how poets use sound to convey meaning, assonance / consonance, various types of rhyme, rhyme scheme, stanzas, types of poetic form, & figurative language. 

There’s also a Mark Twain / Carson Dellosa activity book called Poetry Writing that is fun if you’re wanting more of a survey of poetic genres without getting into the nitty-gritty. 

• Like 1

Update: Grammar of Poetry came yesterday. I think it looks exactly like what I was thinking-a bit technical with words like iambic and meter, but room to try out writing his own poetry too. I'll try to remember to update after we've used it for a bit (I'm thinking of every other week). It's recommended grade is 6-9, but ds10 really enjoys things like this, so I think it will be ok if I do it with him. I'll probably stretch it out through next year too. Thanks for all the ideas!

• Thanks 1