Menu

Good tablet for 6-8 year olds

Hilltopmom

We need to replace our first Gen iPads for our 6 & 8 year olds. Looking for a tablet not as pricey as new iPads, but works well. Only used for Netflix, kids YouTube app, Disney plus, audible.  I don’t need Amazon kids subscription or a bunch of games. Won’t be used for schoolwork. They don’t do Minecraft or any other online games. Doesn’t need to be a “kids version” tablet.

Suggestions?? Thanks so much.

15 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Nobody??

Come on, help me out 🙂

how about the new kindle fires? Kid friendly? Not glitchy? The price is right.

We got ds a kindle Fire last year.  They're......fine.  We were annoyed that it couldn't do the things he wanted it to:

Duolingo: not available.

His violin website: can't isolate websites in kid mode to create a list of 'safe' or acceptable ones he could use

Parental controls were annoying and not intuitive to use.

Messenger Kids was iffy when running

We all gave up trying to make it work as anything other than an ereader and he went back to using my Surface Pro.

I think Kindle Fire is perfect for kids. I have both Fire tablet and iPad, and the iPad is much better. BUT the Fire is great, honestly. For your needs, it would be fine. For the price you can’t beat it. (My ds picked up a refurbished one for $20 for his cat to watch birds on YouTube. She loves it).

My kids have Kindle Fires that they've had for years.  We set them up with Google Play Store and they have been able to use all the apps they want or need for school stuff.    I also use them for my classes for a Green Screen app, Sphero robot apps, Scratch Jr, and a few other random things needed occasionally.  

My dd (14) recently asked to get an iPad because the specific art software she wanted was only available on iOS, but her brother (16) didn't want one.  He's happy with his Kindle Fire.

Whenever this question comes up, I share these directions:  https://pokemongokindlefire.com/   They work really well to get Google Play Store on the Kindle Fire (you can just skip the last steps that apply to Pokemon Go).  I've done this on over 20 Kindle Fires at this point, going back about 4 or 5 years and never had a problem.   I'm much more willing to buy $39 Kindle Fires for little kids to use in my classes than $$$$ Ipads or other tablets. 

• Thanks 1

My 8 year old just has a cheapie kindle fire; he uses it for games and videos, mostly just on road trips (we do a lot of road trips). His has been hanging in there for awhile (2 or maybe 3 years?) but I ordered him another one for Christmas because his old one has gotten really slow.