Menu

30 Days of Gratitude Challenge - Day 29

Granny_Weatherwax

Hello and happy day! 

We've reached Day 29 of our Gratitude Challenge! 

Today is Random Act of Kindness Day #3!  I enjoy these so much. Trying to find a way to do something unexpectedly kind for someone else is exciting. Carrying out the RAOK is joyful (and releases those happy chemicals in my brain). I have the extra challenge of having my RAOKs be something I can do with little to no expense and that doubles my excitement.

Remember - track your gratitude and RAOKs in your gratitude jar or journal.

• Like 2

I think RAOKs are great, but they can be difficult to do at this time of year, especially on weekdays.  Just seeing "random act of kindness day" made me feel the winter cold, LOL.

If I remember, I'll "pay it forward" at the drive-thru where my kids will most likely get dinner tonight.  That is, if there's anyone behind us in line.

I have to make a donation today related to my kid's soccer team.  I thought, maybe I could randomly give a higher than expected amount, but then I thought, that will make the higher amount "expected" next year.  So nope on that.  But then again, maybe I should just include some gift cards for the coaches, which would not have the same effect.  However, that would require me to have time before 5:30 to buy gift cards, which ... probably not happening....

I do have gift cards that I bought a long time ago, but I am not sure they will still work, and if not, that would just cause more problems.  😕

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now that you made me think of it, I should take all those old gift cards to the respective restaurants  and have them checked to see if they still work.  If not, I should exchange them for ones that do.  If so, I can use them for more random acts or gifts going forward.  It's been on my to-do list for a long time, obviously.  😛

• Like 3

I know. Random can be difficult some days. The act doesn't have to be grand or require money. I was thinking about creating a note and leaving it on someone's windshield. Something along the lines of a smiling snowman with a happy greeting. There are multiple cars lining our street and running out and placing it would be easy, esp since I have to walk the dogs anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

I know. Random can be difficult some days. The act doesn't have to be grand or require money. I was thinking about creating a note and leaving it on someone's windshield. Something along the lines of a smiling snowman with a happy greeting. There are multiple cars lining our street and running out and placing it would be easy, esp since I have to walk the dogs anyway.

We do not have pets. 

I will find a way to do something though. Bake/cook something and drop off. 

• Like 2

Okay, drop the random part and just do an act of kindness. It doesn't have to be of the Pay it Forward kind. I struggle with those because I don't have a lot of extra money and I rarely go through drive-thrus or go to restaurants.

It could be as simple as dropping a text or an email to someone you know might need a bit of cheering up. this time of year is difficult for people with small social circles, no nearby family, struggles with mental health, and for so many other reasons. Maybe make someone in your home their favorite beverage and take it to them unexpectedly.  Maybe email a client you haven't seen in a while and thank them for their business/patronage and wish them well. Maybe pick up your neighbor's trash bins and put them back by their house. It could be helping an older person pump their gas and clean their windshield (it's cold and windy here today).

Kindness doesn't have to be expensive, or intricate, or grandiose. It can be free, intimate, personal.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Just make sure it doesn't resemble a parking ticket, LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm reading this late and was wondering how I'd fit something in before bed-time, but then I remembered that I'd given someone walking in a sudden downpour a lift down our access road, saving them about a mile out of the rain, so that counts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Another idea - if someone in your household takes a bath or shower, warm up a towel for that person and leave it for them to wrap up in after they bathe.

Oh dear. .We have one. We live in TX. But we haaate feeling cold. I have various little devices that warm us up. I hate feeling cold, the only time I ironed sheets was to make them warm in my country of origin and that is a warm climate mostly except during the monsoon. 

4 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Oh, what a sweet treat that would be.

It is definitely.

But I think I did RAOK today in that I sent texts, emails appreciating a few people and dropped off a few things for some of my neighbors/friends to eat. It a was a good day to bake.

I am more an intentional, lists kind of person. I am rarely spontaneous so RAOK sort of takes me way out of my comfort zone. For instance, I would not approach a random vehicle unless absolutely necessary and would never like random people approaching me so I would not put anything on a vehicle even something nice. But I think being on the lookout in an ordinary day to make someone's day better is a good thing. So thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone.

• Like 2

@DreamerGirlI didn't do it. I didn't feel comfortable with the idea other than having the idea.

I took my dogs for a long walk in the woods and picked up some trash from the parking area. I also let my DH have the last piece of dessert leftover from the weekend. I didn't really go anywhere else or see any people so it was difficult to do. I am going out this evening to the tennis court so I might find something else to do.

• Like 2