Menu

GoCube or Similar "Smart" Rubik's Cube?

Caraway

I am considering purchasing a GoCube as a gift.  Most of the reviews are people wanting to be speed cubers.  For those who do NOT want to become speed cubers, is the GoCube a good way to learn how to solve Rubik's Cube puzzles?  Is there a better cube choice for this?

Thanks!

I've never heard of a GoCube, and maybe they are awesome. But my son taught himself to solve multiple kinds of Rubix Cubes by watching tutorials online when he was in middle school. For awhile, he collected Rubix Cubes, but none of them were electronic in any way.

So it's not necessary to spend that kind of money, in order to learn how to do it. It does sound like a unique gift, if someone would like it, and you want to splurge. But a basic Rubix Cube and internet access is all that is needed.

Of course, I can't do it myself... it's all that DS needed.

Yeah. I agree. A regular cube and internet access are all you need to learn to solve a Rubik’s cube. There are a lot of YouTube tutorials. 
I got my already speed solver a gocube last year, hoping he could compete against people online. But it didn’t really work out for him. At that point, no fast people were on there. Mostly beginners. That could have changed by now. 
I think that’s the aim of the Gocube though. The sensors time you with the app and you can do virtual competitions.