Menu

Elder and photo ID?

skimomma

My experience is that what they say on the website is what they need and they won't deviate from that. We had issues trying to get MIL a new state ID. Her DL from another state wasn't acceptable due to the requirements for the enhanced ID.

Do any of the bills for your elder state which address they are billing? I was thinking specifically utility bills which would need to include the physical address even if the bill is sent to a different address. I realize in an assisted living facility you likely don't have utility bills.

What about a bill from the assisted living facility itself? We never got a physical bill, but maybe they could print one out for you?

Would the expired DL still work? Clearly not for an ID, but maybe for proof of address. I believe some states may continue to accept an expired DL for a grace period. For example, in Texas you can still renew your DL within 2 year of expiring.

As for your first question, you might need ID for hospital admissions. I don't remember if MIL needed it or not. I wonder if you can choose not to get an enhanced ID in your state. The requirements are less onerous. If there's a chance of flying, your elder would need the enhanced ID.

I wish you much luck as you figure this part out. It seems there's always some hoop caregivers have to jump through.

Proof of address goes state by state, and is very specific. If you do not live with this person, your address is a no-go. Usually, states allow something like two different medical or other bills plus a banking statement as proof of address, but again, you need to check that state's regs. Broth certificate, certified and sealed, is often required for proof of citizenship. There are very few exemptions usually related to POA living elsewhere because the ID is for the elder, and they have to meet the same requirements as everyone else.

ID could be required for a variety of things. When we see a new medical provider they require adults to provide ID to prove that we are not trying to commit insurance fraud. Voting could be an issue in a state that requires a photo ID. Sometimes certain bank transactions require it. Hard to say whether or not any of these situations will apply for you elder.

I would be inclined to get a passport over a driver's license. The renewal period is longer, and it acts as a REAL id. It's completely fine for bank transactions and other things.

I would call the passport agency you would have to use for verification to see what they recommend for your situation.  Here, that's a county office. In other places we have lived, it's the post office.  In any event, talk with the people who are actually going to do the processing locally because even within the guidelines, sometimes I have seen quirks. 

• Like 1

You could call that local license bureau and ask them what kind of mail would count as proof of address. If they only accept utility bills, that could be an issue, but maybe they have broader definitions. 

I think that we could use a bank statement here, but it needed to be a paper copy; I tried to show them my account on my phone, but they would not accept that. If they would accept a bank statement, and the bank only has your address, perhaps an easy fix would be to add her address to the account and then ask them to print off a statement for you that includes her address.

We just renewed our passports, and I tried to get a Real ID this year, so I've been through both processes. (I say "tried" because I did not have one piece of documentation that day and had to get the regular license and will get Real ID the next time). Getting the passport is easier, documentation-wise, but it does take a lot longer.

Maybe you could just get her the regular state ID for now, so that she has something, then work on getting the passport, in case she ever has to fly.

Also, I think it's wise to have current ID. But my mom lived in a nursing home, with advanced Alzheimer's, for 9 years, and I'm sure my dad did not renew her license or any ID during that time. She didn't need current ID for any of her medical care, even the one time that she had to go to the ER for an injury.

I'm not saying not to worry about it. I think in your case, when your elder may sometimes leave the nursing facility, it's good to have an ID. But I think if a nursing home resident were to show up needing treatment at a hospital, they would not be turned away due to ID issues. It could, of course, add complications, though, with paperwork.

Thanks for all of the responses!

No, their facility does not have a social worker.  That would be extremely helpful for a LOT of things.

And since their lease is the only "proof of current address" I have, I am thinking a note from the facility manager or a bill for rent is not going to be considered a second item of evidence.  But I might try it.....I could always switch down to non-enhanced if they rejected it.  

But, you have confirmed my thoughts that going with a non-enhanced ID is probably going to be my best initial step if all else fails.  As of right now, they would be able to fly with that and if there is a possibility of flying later, a passport might be the way to go.

Every. Little. Thing. is such a battle!

• Like 1