Menu

Yet another question about covid boosters

Terabith

I was thinking that neither of my kids would be eligible, because they are both under 18, but my oldest actually turns 18 next month.  (Yikes!) They were assigned female at birth, so less risk of myocarditis.  They do not have any health issues that would qualify, so I don't think they are eligible for a booster soon, but if they are living in a dorm next fall, would that count as congregate living?  I know I would feel better about things if they were boosted.  

Honestly, my 16 year old both has medical risk factors and is in a large public high school, so she's the one I'd REALLY like to see boosted, but I like to plan ahead.  

From what I’m reading, I think people in dorms will be able to get them. This is from Ohio’s  Covid booster FAQ:

• People age 18 and older who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of their job or living in an institutional setting MAYreceive a booster shot based on their individual benefits and risks. The CDC has indicated that this is a determination made by the vaccine recipient.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, KSera said:

I've been wondering about congregate living as well, and haven't been able to find a clear answer. I see "institutional living" which may or may not include dorms? Is your oldest's BMI 25 or more by any chance? That would qualify them, if so.

No, their BMI is well under 25 (but not underweight either).  

I think dorms seem like they should count.  

Dorms are counting here as congregate living, fwiw.  In this CDC guidance, they are counting it as such also: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/shared-congregate-house/guidance-shared-congregate-housing.html

Apartments and condos also count, probably because of shared HVAC, elevators, etc. under this document. I haven't seen official vaccine guidance on this particular point.

• Thanks 1