Menu

FAFSA question #26

ShepCarlin

Question 26: What will your high school completion status be when you begin college in the 2022-2023 school year?

Choices are: High School diploma, GED, Homeschooled or None of the above. 

I was going to put "high school diploma" since I will be giving him one but it will be from our family homeschool. Obviously, we aren't in the FAFSA system as a school. Does this cause complications? I hate that they differentiate between a high school diploma and homeschooled. Not matter which path you choose (high school or homeschool), you get a diploma!

I looked in the many FAFSA threads and saw this questions addressed but there wasn't an overwhelming consensus on an answer. Half of the respondents said "high school diploma" the other half said "homeschool". 

I just completed this on Saturday and I chose high school diploma. She’ll have one that is recognized by our state and given by me. I don’t even know what they mean by homeschooled? That doesn’t answere the question of what their ‘completion status is’. By definition, if you’ve completed high school, you’re no longer homeschooled, right?

• Like 1

https://studentaid.gov/2122/help/high-school-completion

“This is question 26 on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) PDF.

Select the answer that describes your high school completion status.

• "High school diploma” means you have received or will receive a U.S. high school diploma or a foreign school diploma that’s equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma before the first date of your enrollment in a college or career school.

• “GED certificate or state authorized high school equivalent certificate”means you have received or will receive a General Educational Development (GED) certificate or state authorized high school equivalent certificate before the first date of your enrollment in a college or career school. A state authorized high school equivalent certificate is a certificate that the issuing state recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma in that state. Note: A high school certificate of attendance and/or a certificate of completion are NOT the equivalent of a high school diploma.

• “Home schooled” means you’ve completed home schooling at the secondary level regulated by your state.

• “None of the above” means you don’t have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent, and didn’t complete secondary school in a home school setting.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I put high school diploma for my kids. I didn’t like how they differentiated when I first started filling out the forms, though now I might just put homeschooled! It doesn’t really cause an issue, but if you choose high school diploma, they want you to select the high school from a drop-down menu, and of course your choice won’t be there. They do allow you to type in a school name, but every single time they will ask you to double check and make sure that you entered that correctly since it’s not in their system. So it’s an extra hoop to jump through. It’s never caused any problems though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...