Menu

laundry tips when washer/dryer are on different floor than bedrooms

ktgrok

34 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

But how does that work?  It never seemed to for us.  DH really needed to wear navy socks with navy pants, and black socks with his suit, and he didn't want to wear those with his shorts and tennis shoes.  The same type of socks are not comfortable with the shoes I wear with slacks, my tennis shoes, or my hiking shoes.  DD needed to wear green socks with her soccer uniform but navy socks with her school uniform.  

We’re also incapable of limiting ourselves to one type of sock. Dh and Ds could pull it off, but Dd and I have different socks for different reasons and seasons and we love them all. 

• Like 1

My kids seemed to prefer taking over their own laundry at a reasonably young age.  At that point they were in control if they wanted to wear their new favorite shirt five times this week or needed a special outfit for a sporting event.  If someone needed to do wash but didn't have an entire load, they would ask "Does anyone have any XXX-type of item that needs to be washed."  

DS recently moved into a house with two roommates.  One came to him and said "where do you want me to put my dirty towels?"  They guy couldn't get his mind around putting his towel in with his laundry to wash.  He thought there had to be some centralized system for towels.  He also left his laundry in the washing machine and went to work.  DS took the laundry out and put in the guy's basket on top of the washing machine and washed his own clothes.   The guy got all upset about how his clothes could have molded because they were taken out of the washer; DS couldn't explain to him that there was a risk of that if they were left wet IN the washing machine, too.  It will be interesting to see how this living arrangement ends up working out.

3 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

My kids seemed to prefer taking over their own laundry at a reasonably young age.  At that point they were in control if they wanted to wear their new favorite shirt five times this week or needed a special outfit for a sporting event.  If someone needed to do wash but didn't have an entire load, they would ask "Does anyone have any XXX-type of item that needs to be washed."  

DS recently moved into a house with two roommates.  One came to him and said "where do you want me to put my dirty towels?"  They guy couldn't get his mind around putting his towel in with his laundry to wash.  He thought there had to be some centralized system for towels.  He also left his laundry in the washing machine and went to work.  DS took the laundry out and put in the guy's basket on top of the washing machine and washed his own clothes.   The guy got all upset about how his clothes could have molded because they were taken out of the washer; DS couldn't explain to him that there was a risk of that if they were left wet IN the washing machine, too.  It will be interesting to see how this living arrangement ends up working out.

Yes! Don’t be the mother who raises that guy. Make sure they have years of practice with this stuff. 

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have never understood people on this forum demanding that each family member do their own laundry. It is such a foreign concept to me.

They must have a huge amount of clothes to have enough to get a pile big enough for  individual loads, or unlimited water supply. seems very energy  inefficient. 

Agreed. Efficiency is kind of my thing and for the life of me I can't figure out how everyone doing their own laundry is efficient. Except . . maybe it does save just a tiny bit of work for the main person who would otherwise be doing it. But it's got to be a huge waste of water, electricity, clothing, wear and tear on the machines, etc. And it's not as if doing laundry is a very high level skill. I think it would be a stretch to say it took me 15 minutes to explain it to my boys before they went off to college. If it had taken them longer than that I would certainly have seriously doubted their ability to handle college.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I see

2 weeks worth of clothes per person would need more storage space than we have

yeah we don't have that much, for sure. Well, maybe DH, lol. He has a ton of shirts. But underwear, socks, pajamas, shorts, etc none of us have that many. 

On 10/3/2021 at 12:26 AM, BaseballandHockey said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t fold clothes that aren’t dressy? 

I feel so lazy reading this

I fold clothes so that I can feel useless when I see how my kids then jumble them up.  😛

Old habits die hard.

(I do lay certain things flat, and hang others on hooks, rather than fold them.)