Menu

Any suggestions on where to buy custom draperies? That don't require a 2nd mortgage?

We need some draperies for our bedroom, and I have selected a blue-and-white scheme and have a lovely quilt to set it off. Now I am searching for draperies and I'm having a hard time finding only blue-and-white material (must not be in fashion this year). JC Penny's didn't have anything, and I know I could go to Ethan Allen or an interior designer, but then I will be paying through the nose.

I don't sew and I really want flannel-lined drapes (not easy to do even if you do sew), so do-it-myself is not really an option. I could buy fabric from Michael's & then hire a seamstress, but that might put me back into Ethan-Allen-land-prices.???

I did check Smith & Noble & have a sample coming from there, but am curious as to where others go.

Anyone else face this situation? What did you do?

We are in a smallish Western town, so it would probably need to be online.

Doesn't overstock sell them? I'd try there. Do you have a friend who sews? I think that curtains are one of the biggest rackets out there. They are SO expensive to buy, but so cheap to make.

I have a couple friends for whom money is no object. I was laughing inside as I heard them talking about their $7000 custom curtains for their BEDROOM!!!!! The other then went on to complain about how much it cost her to put curtains in her boat - $5000!!! Hello?!?!

Also, don't forget, you can make your own cornices pretty easilly (my dh and I made a fairly complicated one 8 yrs. ago for our house in AR (a palladian window, no less). Covering it just took spray adhesive, batting, the material, scissors and a heavy-duty stapler.

So, if you create/cover your own cornice using the expensive material, you can use a standard solid drape from say, JC Penny underneath. Save time and $$$. Also, JC Penny does have a home decor branch (designer), http://www.jcpenneycustomdecorating.com/ you could check out too (it's probably still a bit pricey -- but maybe not up to Ethan Allen pricey!)

You can also go straight to the manufacturers for material (I'm thinking of Croscill here). My first bedroom set was made by Croscill -- I contacted them, and was able to purchase the material to make my own drapes and matching accessories.

So, if you see something at Bed, Bath and Beyond that you like, you can write down the manufacturer's information, do a quick google, and get material that way (I did something similar with my baby girl nursery set).

Good luck!

I have a couple friends for whom money is no object. I was laughing inside as I heard them talking about their $7000 custom curtains for their BEDROOM!!!!! The other then went on to complain about how much it cost her to put curtains in her boat - $5000!!! Hello?!?!

UM, curtains on a boat?!?!? Will they adopt me?