Menu

Any reason not to submit apps while waiting on test scores and letters of rec?

kokotg

Yeah, that was a long subject line that sums it up pretty well: DS is taking the SAT for the second time in early October, and he still needs one more recommendation for some schools. But he's applying to colleges with music schools, and for a lot of them he has to submit the common app first in order to get access to the separate music school app. So he'd like to go ahead and get them in so he can work on the music apps. Is there any reason not to just submit them now? He anticipates a better SAT score (he last took it in 10th grade), but the one he has isn't terrible or anything. None of the application deadlines are until December and January--my memory from the last go round is that schools that don't have rolling admissions usually don't even start looking at applications until they're all in after the deadline. 

27 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Probably no harm either way. Is there any benefit to applying EA? I know of the four schools dd applied to, two of them basically state that there are small but real benefits in terms of financial aid and acceptance for applying EA.

There's not anywhere he can apply EA....there's one school where he can audition earlier if he gets the app in by November 1, which would probably be nice so he'd have one decision early. Early action and early decision are rare for music schools because they usually have all the audition dates in January or February, so they can't give you a decision before that (he has one that does offer early decision, but it's not his first choice, so he won't do it). I guess I'm just paranoid about the lower SAT score being their first impression of him, but it's probably just that--paranoia. 

• Like 1

I'd base that decision solely on the academic competitiveness of the schools he is applying to. If his first ACT score is "in the range" of acceptance - then go for it and update that score later! If that score is low for that university - maybe hold off? Then, at least he could get a look at the music school apps for some of the schools he is applying to right now and focus on those first.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kokotg said:

But he's applying to colleges with music schools, and for a lot of them he has to submit the common app first in order to get access to the separate music school app.

I'm sure you know this but auditioned schools care much more about auditions than SAT scores, so I really don't think seeing that first SAT will give them any pause.  But am I remembering correctly he wants dual-degree?  I would be curious if the teacher/studio at a dual-degree school has less input to an acceptance than in a non-dual setting.

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 1

Well I imagine there is a way to do this, because for example several schools with a November 1 ED deadline state that October is the last month for testing. But ACT is at the very end of October and the scores would not be available, at the earliest, until a few days after the ED deadline. So I guess, if you believe them,‘they hold the application until you email them the scores? I don’t know. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harpymom said:

I'm sure you know this but auditioned schools care much more about auditions than SAT scores, so I really don't think seeing that first SAT will give them any pause.  But am I remembering correctly he wants dual-degree?  I would be curious if the teacher/studio at a dual-degree school has less input to an acceptance than in a non-dual setting.

He doesn't want dual degree; Bard requires it for conservatory students, so he'd do a dual degree there, but he's not planning on it anywhere else. But his first SAT is totally fine for Bard (which really seems to deemphasize test scores anyway). 

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone--I suspect I'm overthinking this. The only school where his first SAT score isn't at least in the median 50 percent range is Vanderbilt. I guess that's a related question...Vanderbilt is still test optional for 2022, so can he submit an application without any score but then submit one later if his new score/superscore gets him into their range (which practice tests suggest it likely will)? Probably that's a question for Vanderbilt admissions specifically...

At some places he can't even look at the music applications until the common app is submitted, and, of course, he can't request recommendations from his music teachers until he has access to those apps, so it's probably not worth putting them off for too long. 

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

Thanks, everyone--I suspect I'm overthinking this. The only school where his first SAT score isn't at least in the median 50 percent range is Vanderbilt. I guess that's a related question...Vanderbilt is still test optional for 2022, so can he submit an application without any score but then submit one later if his new score/superscore gets him into their range (which practice tests suggest it likely will)? Probably that's a question for Vanderbilt admissions specifically...

Check Vandy’s homeschool requirements. A LOT of schools that are test-optional for everyone else are NOT test-optional homeschoolers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

Check Vandy’s homeschool requirements. A LOT of schools that are test-optional for everyone else are NOT test-optional homeschoolers. 

They are; same requirements for homeschoolers as for other applicants (at least for next fall)!

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

He doesn't want dual degree; Bard requires it for conservatory students, so he'd do a dual degree there, but he's not planning on it anywhere else. But his first SAT is totally fine for Bard (which really seems to deemphasize test scores anyway). 

Yeah Bard really doesn’t care about scores. And you know of their immediate decision plan, right? I ❤️Bard. 

• Like 1