Menu

Playsilks: Best deal online or make your own?

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1105

The above link has 12 playsilks for $60. I am wondering if anyone has ordered from this co. and what the quality is. They are 36X36 8mm. All other websites have them for $10-$15 ea.

Has anyone made their own playsilks? I know it comes down to time vs. money. If you have made your own will you please share your total cost.

Thank you,

I ordered from them for a gift, and was pleased initially at least. Since they were a gift, I haven't seen how they held up over time, but certainly they seemed like good ones...

The ones we have were 8mm habotai scarves from Dharma Trading, that another mom dyed for us. (She ran a sort of co-op for them.) It was a ton of work (for her, not me -- I totally lucked out!), but even if you're ordering in bulk from them, you'll only save $1.35 per scarf (assuming 12 35x35 scarves), and you'll spend more than that on dyes easily.

So basically, I don't think you could save money over A Toy Garden doing it yourself... And theirs are very good. I had good service from them as well.

So they get my vote. ;)

Thank you Julianna and Abbeyej for responding.

I guess the next question would be: How many do I really need? I originally thought of purchasing these for my 2yr dd. She is becoming more and more active and I am running out of ideas to keep her occupied. I searched the boards to find that boys and girls are enjoying these! Is 12 too much? I guess anything less than that will start to go up in price per unit.

I would also like to hear from others who have these. I would love to see how these are used in your home.

Thank you!

We had 7 or 8... I had six (primary and secondary colors) plus a couple of rainbow pastel ones. Ours are also a little bigger -- about 44x44.

There were rarely times when we seemed to need more -- though based on the way ours were used, I imagine if we'd had 12, 12 would have been used. ;) The big ones were nice for some things, though there were definitely times when I thought it would be nice to have smaller ones. I think 35" would probably be adequate for most things. *If* I were dying my own, I would probably get a mix of sizes, including one or two long, skinny ones.

But the ease of buying a complete set that someone else had already put together (for less than I could do it myself!) would be a big selling point for me. :D

I purchased play silks from A Toy Garden for my dd's birthday in October. I hunted around before ordering, and A Toy Garden had the best price I could find. I'm very happy with them so far. The colors are beautiful! The size seems adequate, although I'd love to have one of the long silkscapes. I ordered a set of eight.

I purchased play silks from A Toy Garden for my dd's birthday in October. I hunted around before ordering, and A Toy Garden had the best price I could find. I'm very happy with them so far. The colors are beautiful! The size seems adequate, although I'd love to have one of the long silkscapes. I ordered a set of eight.

Do you remember what you payed for shipping?

We bought 2 sizes from Dharma and dyed them with Kool-aide. I wasn't really looking for a savings, but more for a project for ds to do for dd's present. We made some for a gift to a niece also so we did a bunch at once. It did end up being cheaper but I don't know how much.

We have been very happy with the 2 sizes. We have some that are 3x3 and some that are maybe 3x5. They are a good combination. The larger ones are great for tents. The smaller for dress up or playing with the babies.

There is a coupon code for $5 off $15 which expires Dec 15, 2008:

STB52008

Here's the shipping charges from A Toy Garden's website:

$0.00 - $14.99 $4.80

$15.00 - $34.99 $6.50

$35.00 - $49.99 $7.95

$50.00 - $99.99 $9.45

$100.00 - $199.99 $12.00

$200.00 - $10,000.00 $0.00

We've loved our playsilks. I purchased them from Sarah's Silks and they were $5.00 a piece. So, this deal with A Toy Garden seems like an incredible deal! I'd say that 12 would be a great amount. We have quite a few and we use them all. When the girls are playing, they wrap one for a skirt, one around their top, one somewhere else for...who knows what. And then, they put them on their little brother. Even my 13 yr old will play with them, kinda dress up, with her 10 yr old sister! Heck, they'd put them on the dog, if they could! I'd also order a little "faerie skirt". I do have to say that quality would be better, since they're used so much. Some of ours are kinda like a gauze material. The ones I saw from the Toy Garden look lovely. Enjoy!

Tap,Tap,Tap: I think the project aspect of it sounds good. With Dharma's coming highly recommended, I may have my older boys do this as gifts for their cousing throughout next year.

Caledonia Academy: Thank you for the discount code:O)

Nayfies Mama: Just the type of feedback I was looking for:O)