Menu

Submitting an AP Syllabus for the first time (AP Government): Any Advice?

My kids have done about a zillion (hold on, let me count: more like 11, I guess) AP classes/exams on their own at home, and I've never submitted a syllabus before. But I've finally gotten too jealous about people who have AP classroom access, so I think I'm going to do it this year. Is it true that I can just use the sample syllabus from the college board's website, more or less? (I would modify it where needed--like where there are group activities or resources I don't actually have access to or whatever). 

• Like 1

It takes exactly 2 minutes. I pick their own syllabus, so it's all automatic. Don't bother with your own syllabus. You can still do what you want. You won't regret getting access. There was a time basically when paying for outside AP Course was a must just because of prep. Now you can prep in subjects you have no expertise with all those materials available. My kid even found their videos very useful. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

It takes exactly 2 minutes. I pick their own syllabus, so it's all automatic. Don't bother with your own syllabus. You can still do what you want. You won't regret getting access. There was a time basically when paying for outside AP Course was a must just because of prep. Now you can prep in subjects you have no expertise with all those materials available. My kid even found their videos very useful. 

Yes.  Just click on adopting their syllabus (or sometimes you can just adopt the unit guide).  Then you can do your own thing.  From AP:   

What does it mean to “adopt” the AP Unit Guides or a pre-approved syllabus? This simply means that the teacher has reviewed the material, is aware of the content and skills colleges expected to see in any course labeled “AP,” and will use the document as the starting point for their own course plan, adapting and modifying it over time as the teacher determines what will best enable his/her students to develop the knowledge and skills required for college credit and placement.

And I agree with RR that the resources available are extremely helpful.  

• Like 4

Awesome--thank you! I suspect this will be one of those "why didn't I do this years ago?!" situations. I'm midway through doing the course audit now, and I'm waiting on my high school teacher husband to talk to the AP gov teacher at his school and see if he can check a textbook out for me for the year so I can fill out that section. 

How did you get an institution or organization code from College Board?  When I called them I was told you had to be a licensed, diploma issuing brick and mortar school, or 100% online tutoring center. 

Are you in a state where homeschoolers are considered private schools and did it that way?  They told me you had to have an edu email for that option.

47 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

How did you get an institution or organization code from College Board?  When I called them I was told you had to be a licensed, diploma issuing brick and mortar school, or 100% online tutoring center. 

Are you in a state where homeschoolers are considered private schools and did it that way?  They told me you had to have an edu email for that option.

I didn't need a code.   We are independent homeschoolers, not considered private schools.  I followed the guidance here, and just sent in a copy of my annual letter of intent to the local school district.

10 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I didn't need a code.   We are independent homeschoolers, not considered private schools.  I followed the guidance here, and just sent in a copy of my annual letter of intent to the local school district.

Thank you.  I'll have to see what I can do with this.  We have no official paperwork to homeschool where I am.

4 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I typed in "home school" and my zip code and some kind of statewide thing popped up for me to select--it says "Georgia Home School" under my name now when I log in. oh, I did have to upload my declaration of intent, too, at some point.

• Like 1

Wow, I feel like such an idiot that I didn't know I could do this. I've heard about submitting to the College Board for AP classes, but believed it would be so much paperwork and proving what we were doing or using that I just didn't have the mental bandwith to investigate further. So if I read and follow the audit, use one of the required textbooks, and follow the AP syllabus, I can get my class approved as an AP designated class?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Wow, I feel like such an idiot that I didn't know I could do this. I've heard about submitting to the College Board for AP classes, but believed it would be so much paperwork and proving what we were doing or using that I just didn't have the mental bandwith to investigate further. So if I read and follow the audit, use one of the required textbooks, and follow the AP syllabus, I can get my class approved as an AP designated class?

Yes, in 5 minutes. 
And it will give you access to a massive database of MCQ and FRQ questions to study. My friend walked me through how to find them, but it was invaluable in prepping for the exam. 

• Like 4