Menu

August Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

5 hours ago, historically accurate said:

DH and I decided where the bonus goes - paid off the small amount remaining from Huntsville. Ordered medications from Caremark (I went ahead and ordered everything that was due even if we didn't need it yet - trying to up my stockpile there cuz Covid). Set aside some for upcoming bills. 

No charge on the car - yay! Some plate that the muffler brackets attach to had some rust, so they double plated it and hung the muffler back up. 

Best part of yesterday was not financial - DD's MRI on Friday was clear. She has migraines, and they were looking for tumors/malformation. So, so, so glad it was clear.

That is the best news for your dd.  Yay.

Nice that you didn't have to pay for the car.

Smart use of the bonus!!

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$60ish spent on homeschool and school supplies (a chunk of that printer paper as I was entirely out and am printing out a ton of things for school).

And we have to replace the exterior basement door. The bottom has rusted through. It is the only door still original to the house (22 yrs), on the north end where it gets a lot of shade and moisture. I had seen some rust on there but didn't realize it was that bad. We don't use that door very much.

$300 ish for that. Money in the home fund- of course then we'll need to work on filling that fund back up.

It occurred to me that our gas bill is going to be increasing about $300 a month due to dh starting back to college. Last year he hardly had to go due to changes for COVID but he has 2x a week in person classes this semester. He cannot take any more locally and they are not offered online. 

Dd was telling me all about homecoming. She is so excited. $$$. I have a feeling dd1 is going to be significantly more expensive as a teen than ds. He only ever went to 2 dances. One of those was casual and the other we just had to buy a shirt, tie, and corsage. Dd1 also has Student Council dues ($25) and both have school pictures in a few weeks. I have some in the school fund, not sure if it is enough for all of that. Will have to put more to that next pay day and dd will have to do a lot of shopping to find something for a reasonable price. 

Mom is getting a new table and chairs and is giving me her old one. I'll move my dining room table to the kitchen and sell the one in the kitchen. I will give that money to my mom, doesn't feel right to keep it.

MIL gave dh $100 for helping her sell the old car. Not exactly free money since we just spent $40 on maintenance for the other old car and pay for all the gas and maintenance for the mowers but whatever. Dh refuses to ask her to pay for these things, no matter how much money she has. Why I don't know. 

I'm feeling rather discouraged with bill after bill popping up. And facing the fact that my job will likely be ending sooner rather than later. I hate uncertainty. If I wasn't very likely losing my job I wouldn't be so stressed about these 'little' bills but we are going to need to squeeze whatever we can out of dh's check to make up for my lost pay and the more of this crap there is the less there is left. I really hope dh's raise goes through soon. It won't be much but it all helps. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Was able to glean in an elderly neighbor’s garden as she had all she wanted to from it, brought home a plastic bag of banana peppers, 10 plastic bags of tomatoes and 2 5 gallon buckets of green beans, plus spent a nice morning chatting as she sat and watched me pick. Today is all about canning more green beans and making freezer salsa

That is sweet with all the food.  I just went out to the garden to get things for lunch.  Wishing that I would have planted a bigger garden this year.  It would be nice to live somewhere hot where you can garden all year long.

• Like 3

@SororIt really does make it hard to prioritize when it all keeps rolling in, doesn't it? I'm sorry about the VIPKid - I have quite a few friends who are stressing about losing that income. I didn't teach often, but a few classes here and there and the incentives they would send out made up a lot of my gift budget. Now, I'll have to find something else to cover that, but it's no where near a full or even part time income that many people are scrambling to recoup. 

@sarahaYay for free food! My youngest and I were all set to make zucchini muffins with a zuke that a coworker gave me, but we're out of baking powder (and baking soda - how did I miss both?), so DH is going to pick it up on his way home. He went into work for an hour this afternoon to move someone's computer. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Soror said:

I'm feeling rather discouraged with bill after bill popping up. And facing the fact that my job will likely be ending sooner rather than later. I hate uncertainty. If I wasn't very likely losing my job I wouldn't be so stressed about these 'little' bills but we are going to need to squeeze whatever we can out of dh's check to make up for my lost pay and the more of this crap there is the less there is left. I really hope dh's raise goes through soon. It won't be much but it all helps. 

I am sorry for this. It’s so surprising that an online educational organization wouldn’t be flourishing in this environment.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, saraha said:

I am sorry for this. It’s so surprising that an online educational organization wouldn’t be flourishing in this environment.

China is cutting off foreign tutors, so it's not that the company is doing poorly, it's China who enacted some rules against it. I believe the decision was probably rooted in two things: 1) they want citizens to have more kids, so the government is taking over the tutoring business so parents will save $ and have a second/third kid and 2) they don't want so much Western influence on their citizens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

China is cutting off foreign tutors, so it's not that the company is doing poorly, it's China who enacted some rules against it. I believe the decision was probably rooted in two things: 1) they want citizens to have more kids, so the government is taking over the tutoring business so parents will save $ and have a second/third kid and 2) they don't want so much Western influence on their citizens.

That makes total sense. Is China their only market? Or just their biggest?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

That is to bad.  I am sure it helps to learn the language from a native English speaker.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Soror said:

$60ish spent on homeschool and school supplies (a chunk of that printer paper as I was entirely out and am printing out a ton of things for school).

And we have to replace the exterior basement door. The bottom has rusted through. It is the only door still original to the house (22 yrs), on the north end where it gets a lot of shade and moisture. I had seen some rust on there but didn't realize it was that bad. We don't use that door very much.

$300 ish for that. Money in the home fund- of course then we'll need to work on filling that fund back up.

It occurred to me that our gas bill is going to be increasing about $300 a month due to dh starting back to college. Last year he hardly had to go due to changes for COVID but he has 2x a week in person classes this semester. He cannot take any more locally and they are not offered online. 

Dd was telling me all about homecoming. She is so excited. $$$. I have a feeling dd1 is going to be significantly more expensive as a teen than ds. He only ever went to 2 dances. One of those was casual and the other we just had to buy a shirt, tie, and corsage. Dd1 also has Student Council dues ($25) and both have school pictures in a few weeks. I have some in the school fund, not sure if it is enough for all of that. Will have to put more to that next pay day and dd will have to do a lot of shopping to find something for a reasonable price. 

Mom is getting a new table and chairs and is giving me her old one. I'll move my dining room table to the kitchen and sell the one in the kitchen. I will give that money to my mom, doesn't feel right to keep it.

MIL gave dh $100 for helping her sell the old car. Not exactly free money since we just spent $40 on maintenance for the other old car and pay for all the gas and maintenance for the mowers but whatever. Dh refuses to ask her to pay for these things, no matter how much money she has. Why I don't know. 

Sending some hugs.  I am sorry you are feeling discouraged right now.  I hope that your job doesn't end soon and you don't have to be stressed about all the bills that are coming up.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, saraha said:

Yes, as HA said it is the government that has made the changes. Foreign teachers are no longer allowed to teach the children. The parents had until Aug 9 or so to purchase classes and they say they can have all of those with a foreign teacher but after that it has to be with a Chinese English teacher. The official party line is that it is to encourage more children. That is hogwash, their concern is western influence. Just like 2 yrs ago when they cut back the hours we could teach to supposedly make it easier for kids. Yet students still had other classes that were late. VIPKID is also working on expanding to adults. They are still even hiring as they say they need all these teachers for these new ventures. Most of the other companies have shut down or have plans to in the near future. I don't see how these markets could replace the lessons for 100s of thousands of Chinese children we have now and keep 70k plus teachers with classes. I hope for a miracle but I don't see how it is going to work.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Soror said:

Yes, as HA said it is the government that has made the changes. Foreign teachers are no longer allowed to teach the children. The parents had until Aug 9 or so to purchase classes and they say they can have all of those with a foreign teacher but after that it has to be with a Chinese English teacher. The official party line is that it is to encourage more children. That is hogwash, their concern is western influence. Just like 2 yrs ago when they cut back the hours we could teach to supposedly make it easier for kids. Yet students still had other classes that were late. VIPKID is also working on expanding to adults. They are still even hiring as they say they need all these teachers for these new ventures. Most of the other companies have shut down or have plans to in the near future. I don't see how these markets could replace the lessons for 100s of thousands of Chinese children we have now and keep 70k plus teachers with classes. I hope for a miracle but I don't see how it is going to work.

I would expect that from China.  I am so sorry.  I hope that things work out for the company with their plans.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I would expect that from China.  I am so sorry.  I hope that things work out for the company with their plans.

Yes, I would expect that and more of China. Before teaching I thought the concerns about China were overblown. Now I think we underestimate just how bad they are, the level of control they exert, and the lengths they will go to to keep that control and silence opposition. My fingers are crossed but I'm trying to stay realistic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got the rugs we ordered.  They are sooooo nice.  Wow.  Just so plush and soft.  I wish we would have gotten a few more.

Grocery pick up yesterday.

Dh is getting a filling fixed this week.

Sold a few things last week.

Spending some money with horseback riding and sailing lessons this week.

Looking at ordering some furniture this week for the house.

We looked at land again......   We really like it so we will be getting some more information on it this week.

• Like 3

A few ebay sales came through, so that was good.

DD's MRI was covered with a copay and not under the deductible. Totally not what I was expecting, but it's only about a tenth of what I was expecting to pay, so that is super-duper good.

Falling behind on grocery and gasoline budgets - I'm going to have to re-evaluate these. DH's boss is pushing for him to come into the office 4x a week now, and he's done it the past 2 weeks, and I am thinking that is the problem with the gas budget. My grocery budget I don't know, I'll have to look closer at it soon.

Still need to get a couple of things for school as we're slow to start this year. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

DD's MRI was covered with a copay and not under the deductible. Totally not what I was expecting, but it's only about a tenth of what I was expecting to pay, so that is super-duper good.

Falling behind on grocery and gasoline budgets - I'm going to have to re-evaluate these. DH's boss is pushing for him to come into the office 4x a week now, and he's done it the past 2 weeks, and I am thinking that is the problem with the gas budget. My grocery budget I don't know, I'll have to look closer at it soon.

Still need to get a couple of things for school as we're slow to start this year. 

That is awesome news!!! Ya!!

I'm not watching my grocery budget close enough here either. I am planning meals but not being as strict as I was. I did add some to my budget but don't want to go crazy. 

23 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Got the rugs we ordered.  They are sooooo nice.  Wow.  Just so plush and soft.  I wish we would have gotten a few more.

Grocery pick up yesterday.

Dh is getting a filling fixed this week.

Sold a few things last week.

Spending some money with horseback riding and sailing lessons this week.

Looking at ordering some furniture this week for the house.

We looked at land again......   We really like it so we will be getting some more information on it this week.

Oh, exciting. You are considering building again?

• Like 1

Dh is supposed to find out on Sep 1st what his raise is. It goes in affect on his Sep 16th check.

A guy is supposed to be coming tomorrow maybe to buy the car ds wrecked. Fingers crossed and all that that we can replenish funds for the shop fund and get it out of here.

Dh is blowing through his spending money this month, doesn't help him going to college 2 days. I'm annoyed with that but already annoyed with so many other expenses it doesn't take much. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Yay for ebay.

Awesome on the MRI.

Ugh I feel you on the gas budget.  Dh is getting ordered back in the office soon.  Which I think is so dumb.  Why force people to come in if they can get their jobs done at home almost all the time?  We have been driving around a lot going to ballet and just trying to do some fun things before school start.

I need to do some more school shopping too.  I did some yesterday, but it wasn't exactly what one kid wanted so I have to go return that and get different stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Soror said:

Dh is supposed to find out on Sep 1st what his raise is. It goes in affect on his Sep 16th check.

A guy is supposed to be coming tomorrow maybe to buy the car ds wrecked. Fingers crossed and all that that we can replenish funds for the shop fund and get it out of here.

Dh is blowing through his spending money this month, doesn't help him going to college 2 days. I'm annoyed with that but already annoyed with so many other expenses it doesn't take much. 

Yay for the raise!  Super helpful.  Does his work do good ones?  

I hope the car sells.

Ugh the spending always goes up when they are out and about.  Is he buying food and drinks?  Would it be helpful to stock up on those at home so he isn't buying them at work, and he brings them from home?  I just did that for everyone so they are not buying stuff when they are out doing the last events we have going for summer. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for the raise!  Super helpful.  Does his work do good ones?  

I hope the car sells.

Ugh the spending always goes up when they are out and about.  Is he buying food and drinks?  Would it be helpful to stock up on those at home so he isn't buying them at work, and he brings them from home? 

I don't expect a very big raise at all, we'll see.

I started buying him drinks at the store last year to save money and buy whatever snacks he asks for. I pack him a lunch. It is hard b/c he has a 1.5 hr one way commute to college. He is gone a long time and I think he underestimates how hungry or thirsty he will get and of course being in the vehicle so long it is harder to keep drinks cool (although I have good water bottles). One of his requests was more spending money. I think he gets enough of course I'm not out of the house like he is. Which is to say I'm trying.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Soror said:

I don't expect a very big raise at all, we'll see.

I started buying him drinks at the store last year to save money and buy whatever snacks he asks for. I pack him a lunch. It is hard b/c he has a 1.5 hr one way commute to college. He is gone a long time and I think he underestimates how hungry or thirsty he will get and of course being in the vehicle so long it is harder to keep drinks cool (although I have good water bottles). One of his requests was more spending money. I think he gets enough of course I'm not out of the house like he is. Which is to say I'm trying.

Fingers crossed for a good raise.  

That is nice that you pack his lunch.  When my kids are in ballet the commute is either 1-1.5 hours and I make them pack so much because you are gone so long.  And yeah dh or I could just go to the store there and pick things up if they needed.  But of course the stores are further away then the restaurants.  I always overpack them.  Lots of times they wouldn't eat all of it, but I felt like it was better to have the extras just incase.  It is my personality to stock up and be prepared.  I would keep extra snacks in the car too for me or when someone forgot stuff. 

From hip2save

Target shoppers! Through September 1st or while supplies last, you can save 10% off your entire purchase of $50 or more when you pay through PayPal (online only). Even sweeter, this discount also works on Target gift cards!

Note that this offer has a maximum discount of $50 and is not available for all accounts.

Head here and log into your Paypal account
Click on “Deals” at the top of the page
Click on Target offer at the top of the page (you may need to click the scroll arrow) and click on ‘Save Offer’
Head over to Target.com to shop
Select Paypal payment method at checkout
The 10% discount will show on your Paypal page at checkout, prior to submitting your order.

• Like 1

I feel ill.

New rules from China. No classes on holidays or summer vacation. All our classes on 8/27-31 will be cancelled. After that no classes on weekend. 

That is 20 classes for me, over $200.

Lovely communist government. Realized they didn't exert enough control.

Just waiting for them to say all classes cancelled period.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I feel ill.

New rules from China. No classes on holidays or summer vacation. All our classes on 8/27-31 will be cancelled. After that no classes on weekend. 

That is 20 classes for me, over $200.

Lovely communist government. Realized they didn't exert enough control.

Just waiting for them to say all classes cancelled period.

Oh man I am sorry.  Yep on their gov.  

So is this different than the other info they gave you?  Will they still allow teaching to move forward during the week for the kids? 

UGh is that $200 a week or a month?  Have you thought of another job option?  Would you be open to teaching on Outschool?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh man I am sorry.  Yep on their gov.  

So is this different than the other info they gave you?  Will they still allow teaching to move forward during the week for the kids? 

UGh is that $200 a week or a month?  Have you thought of another job option?  Would you be open to teaching on Outschool?

Yes, we were just told yesterday no changes teaching as usual (until of course classes run out) then this came out today. I haven't had this many days off in 3 ys except for my caca over 2 yrs ago. I think I may start getting up at 4:30 instead of 5 to make up for losing Saturday.  Who knows how long that will last.  They have a few different holidays coming up and I'm pretty certain we can't teach then either. 

I really don't know what us teach on outschool and come up with my own curriculum. I've got to think on things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Went to Walmart yesterday to look for super on sale Lego.  I saw videos that they were up to 75% off.  Didn't find any.   Boo.  I wanted to be totally done with Christmas shopping.

Bought other stuff.  I have some to return as kids didn't like the clothes that I bought them.  I thought the summer stuff would be on fire sale, but was the same price the last time I went there.  Which was at least 6 weeks ago. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 9:27 AM, mommyoffive said:

Fingers crossed for a good raise.  

That is nice that you pack his lunch.  When my kids are in ballet the commute is either 1-1.5 hours and I make them pack so much because you are gone so long.  And yeah dh or I could just go to the store there and pick things up if they needed.  But of course the stores are further away then the restaurants.  I always overpack them.  Lots of times they wouldn't eat all of it, but I felt like it was better to have the extras just incase.  It is my personality to stock up and be prepared.  I would keep extra snacks in the car too for me or when someone forgot stuff. 

Dh thinks he might find out today what the raise is, either way he'll find out next week. Of course we are very curious. I'm waiting to see how much it is to see what we can squeeze out to make up for my income. Still hoping dearly that I can at least make it through the rest of the year with my income somewhat close to normal, but no way of knowing that. I'll get what I can and keep looking to see what I can do to replace what I'm losing. I opened up slots 30 min earlier from Sep 1st on. Those earlier slots will likely not book as well but I got to try at least.

Dh didn't end up driving last year very much with all changes from COVID so he is not used to the drive yet. As he gets used to it he will be better able to anticipate what things he needs and wants for that time. I've packed food frequently for day outings for the kids and myself, he has very little experience with this. 

• Like 3

Dh got his raise info. Not great. 3%.

That will make up for maybe 10% of my savings goal after taxes. 

It occurred to me today maybe I could do a FT job temporarily next summer. Dh will also get a bonus next summer. We hope to squeeze more out of his check but his hours are going to be lower with school in full swing and college classes while expenses like gas and things for the kids at school will be up.  I don't know if there will be much extra. 

Sacrificing now for the future is hard. Another year or so keeping things cut back feels discouraging but I hate to give up goals.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Soror said:

It occurred to me today maybe I could do a FT job temporarily next summer. Dh will also get a bonus next summer. We hope to squeeze more out of his check but his hours are going to be lower with school in full swing and college classes while expenses like gas and things for the kids at school will be up.  I don't know if there will be much extra. 

Sacrificing now for the future is hard. Another year or so keeping things cut back feels discouraging but I hate to give up goals.

hugs. finances can be really hard.

• Like 2

Just a fun stocking stuffer I ordered on Amazon today.  Found it while looking for a few things for a care package for my dd who just went back to college.  

Bluetooth beanie with a 15.00 off coupon.  I ordered 3 to put away for Christmas, and was able to use the coupon all 3 times on different colors.  Thought someone else might be looking.  Trying to buy ahead for the holidays.  

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Novelty-Headwear-Christmas-Stocking/dp/B08BP4M95F/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+beanie&qid=1630085553&sr=8-11

Edited by CindyH in NC
removing my private info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, historically accurate said:

hugs. finances can be really hard.

Thanks! Thank you to all of you for listening to me whine. I hate uncertainty and I'm having so much right now. I've been thinking and planning for various scenarios. It helps me feel a little control. I did more looking for local jobs and online jobs. Haven't come across anything great yet, or if I have I didn't know it. I know I heard about VIPKID a long time before I realized it was an actual legit company. Asked a friend about subbing, I heard they raised the rates they pay but it is still only $90 a day (pre-tax). The good thing is that you can do it when you want but I don't think the pay is worth the job and being gone all day is not a good fit with hs'ing, maybe I'll change my mind after more looking. I seen a local place had an ad for an early morning stocker, something like that could be a good fit after my gig with VIPKID is done. Ds told me he has a friend that stocks for WM but he wasn't sure if he works late at night or early morning. Late night does not work for me but if it is early it could be an option. I'd have to find out the weights they are lifting I'm fairly strong for a girl but not the Hulk.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I've switched back to Walmart pickup for groceries. Today, I got a honeydew that is about the size of the planet Pluto! We're going to eat honeydew until we drop this week.

I'm going to start giving the financial report to the library board monthly, and they will pay me for that, so a couple extra hours pay. 

Yay for your planet honeydew.  Hopefully it tastes good too.   I love walmart pickup saves so much time.  

Yeah for some extra hours.

• Like 1

At home move date night- rented a newer movie- had $5.50 in credits so it just cost 49c.

Dh bought the door, also needed some painting supplies, still need to grab some painter's tape and door shims today. At- $333 spent. Not sure how much painting tape and shims will be- I do have a whooping $6 in credit to use towards that. 

Bought groceries on Thurs- came in a whole 85c under budget. We still have a bit in the gas budget, hoping dh can make it through Tuesday- he's got class on Monday so I'm not sure. I try to forecast by MPG but that doesn't take into account unplanned trips for things that come up and even MPG varies. After this coming month I should have a better estimate. I have some in the slush fund to cover any overages and it should be more than enough (at the end of the month it will go towards next month's budget).

After next month we will have 1 year of using YNAB. Ya! 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Soror said:

At home move date night- rented a newer movie- had $5.50 in credits so it just cost 49c.

Dh bought the door, also needed some painting supplies, still need to grab some painter's tape and door shims today. At- $333 spent. Not sure how much painting tape and shims will be- I do have a whooping $6 in credit to use towards that. 

Bought groceries on Thurs- came in a whole 85c under budget. We still have a bit in the gas budget, hoping dh can make it through Tuesday- he's got class on Monday so I'm not sure. I try to forecast by MPG but that doesn't take into account unplanned trips for things that come up and even MPG varies. After this coming month I should have a better estimate. I have some in the slush fund to cover any overages and it should be more than enough (at the end of the month it will go towards next month's budget).

After next month we will have 1 year of using YNAB. Ya! 

Thanks for reminding me that I have a free Redbox movie - my points expire on the 31st. Kids want to see Raya and the Dragon, so we'll probably do that this afternoon when it's 100 degrees (yet again).

We were going to do some trimwork today - have all the supplies, but I don't want to be outside cutting boards this afternoon. Maybe tonight we'll get it done?

YNAB is awesome - I used it for a while (when it was free for me), but I've kind of written my own convoluted spreadsheet now. 

• Like 4

Expensive weekend.  We were going to go on another vacation out to Yellowstone, but when the rates started going nuts we cancelled that.  So we are doing a staycation with fun and expensive stuff the kids want to do. 

Went horseback riding on the state trails around us.  

Sailing school for the kids and dh.  I get way to motion sick.   This is an ongoing thing and they love it.

Signed up my kids for nature school for the semester.  Bought a membership at the center and then payed for the whole semester.  I could use school funds, but will spend those later on other things.  Got a 10% discount for being a member and 10% membership for signing up for the semester.  It is far away, but I think it will be really good for them.

Returned the Walmart stuff. 

Looking at joining a mountain bike team.

Did a school supply order last night.  Will do another one today.  Again could use school funds for this, but will save them for more classes.  

• Like 3

On 8/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, Soror said:

This is a good idea! It would go a long way towards making up for losing part time work all year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Thanks for reminding me that I have a free Redbox movie - my points expire on the 31st. Kids want to see Raya and the Dragon, so we'll probably do that this afternoon when it's 100 degrees (yet again).

We were going to do some trimwork today - have all the supplies, but I don't want to be outside cutting boards this afternoon. Maybe tonight we'll get it done?

YNAB is awesome - I used it for a while (when it was free for me), but I've kind of written my own convoluted spreadsheet now. 

Ya, it is so hot here too. 

I used a spreadsheet before but dh was not a fan. So, we used Mint off and on for years but it works by forecasting income and budgeting and does not account for irregular expenses and savings that well so it didn't do the things I needed. I wish I would have started years ago we would have been much further ahead. 

48 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Expensive weekend.  We were going to go on another vacation out to Yellowstone, but when the rates started going nuts we cancelled that.  So we are doing a staycation with fun and expensive stuff the kids want to do. 

Went horseback riding on the state trails around us.  

Sailing school for the kids and dh.  I get way to motion sick.   This is an ongoing thing and they love it.

Signed up my kids for nature school for the semester.  Bought a membership at the center and then payed for the whole semester.  I could use school funds, but will spend those later on other things.  Got a 10% discount for being a member and 10% membership for signing up for the semester.  It is far away, but I think it will be really good for them.

Returned the Walmart stuff. 

Looking at joining a mountain bike team.

Did a school supply order last night.  Will do another one today.  Again could use school funds for this, but will save them for more classes.  

Have fun on your staycation. I get super motion sick too. We did a short boat trip on our mini vaca and I hated it the whole time. The littlest things sets me off, dh can not understand.

35 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

This is a good idea! It would go a long way towards making up for losing part time work all year.

That's the plan! We'll see where we stand once summer gets here.

This coming week my goal is to find some PT job that looks like it will work (even if it is just until I can find something better) and start the application process. I have just been going through more listings to see what is out there. I seen a posting from the health dept about a PT contact tracer. I am going to call Monday and find out more info.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I used a spreadsheet before but dh was not a fan. So, we used Mint off and on for years but it works by forecasting income and budgeting and does not account for irregular expenses and savings that well so it didn't do the things I needed. I wish I would have started years ago we would have been much further ahead. 

Have fun on your staycation. I get super motion sick too. We did a short boat trip on our mini vaca and I hated it the whole time. The littlest things sets me off, dh can not understand.

This coming week my goal is to find some PT job that looks like it will work (even if it is just until I can find something better) and start the application process. I have just been going through more listings to see what is out there. I seen a posting from the health dept about a PT contact tracer. I am going to call Monday and find out more info.

Funny story: after prom for my school was a boat ride on Lake Michigan. Not a good wrap up to the night since I spent most of the night in the bathroom throwing up. It was supposedly a very smooth ride too. Poor date of mine - he didn't know what to do since I'd come out looking green and then go right back in. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I would like to say my motion sickness is because of getting older, but I have dealt with it my whole life.  As a kid going to the theme park would leave me sick for 3-4 days afterwards.  I feel old and no fun, but it isn't worth it to me even though I would love to do some of the stuff.  I get sick driving too.  I got so sick on the ferry from Europe to Africa and I thought I would be fine on a big boat.  So no cruises for me, even though I think they would be really nice.  I wish I wasn't like that.

My dh is always such and looking at the cup half filled guy.  Trying to think like that a little.  I know the loss of your job really stinks because it was such a great fit for you.  But I am glad that they gave you a big heads up and didn't just end your job one day.  It gives you time to look around and hopefully find something else that works.  Good luck.  It sounds like you are doing well thinking of lots of different options.    Fingers crossed you find something as good as or better!

• Like 2

Still looking through jobs, local, online. Dh thinks I should be picky but I think if I find something that works I could do it until I find something better. I will not take anything that is the same hours of VIPKID however unless the pay is better and it is a sure thing. My bookings are still good (for now) so I want to get it while I can. Maybe found a little side job but I think it will be only $100 or so a month. Why can't places list their hours and pay? I really don't want to waste my time applying if I don't know those 2 things, very annoying.

Dh got his end of the month pay and I finished the September budget. This is the last of the bigger checks until January. But on the plus side it looks like ds will meet his deductible this month which will help offset the increased gas costs. We had neither expense last fall so it will still be tight but I'm hoping with all the work we've done planning and saving for upcoming expenses it won't be as tight as last fall. (of course barring crap coming up - which again I say we are due for a break)

• Like 2

The kids and dh went sailing this morning via private sailing lessons.  There wasn't any wind and they had to be towed back.  But the company is giving them another free 3 hour sailing lesson.  Awesome. 

Doing some more staycation spending next weekend.

Kids start school on Wed.

Grocery pick up today.

I still need to do another school order on amazon.

Holding off signing up for Ballet.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 9:31 AM, Longtime Lurker said:

Since DH's summer 2020 layoff, I took a job as a permanent substitute teacher (instead of just a couple days a week). I only get paid during the school year, so the summer has been tighter. We had a nice cushion going into the summer and I am trying to make it through without dipping into savings. We do have savings set aside that we can use, but I have made it my personal challenge not to touch it. So we just have to make it through one more month before I get my first fall paycheck. So far so good...

We made it! Now to see if we can fit the tree work we just had done (tree cut down that was leaning precariously over our fence) into our regular income without dipping into savings. This is the sort of thing we have savings for, but it would be better if we could leave it untouched at this point.

• Like 2