Menu

Custom Orthotics Online?

SeaConquest

My husband needs to get custom orthotics made for his plantar fasciitis. The last guy he went to was $600 and he basically shoved his foot into a foam box that made the cast and then a few weeks later the orthotics arrived. He was supposed to be one of the best in San Diego. Anyway, we are wondering if the Hive knows a better way that we can do this online for less since it seems we can also shove his feet in a box and send the mold off ourselves. 

Has anyone done this or have any recommendations for custom orthotics, other than seeing someone local. He already wears really good shoes, but he is on his feet all day long and has chronic pain. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Has he tried going to a running store for a gate analysis and recommendations? I used to have foot pain all the time, but I’ve found through a running store that the green superfeet inserts are better for me than anything else I’ve tried. That and more barefoot time when I’m home. 

• Like 1

Okay, you need to message Carol in CA, because she had plantar fasciitis, and she knows sooooooo much! My dh developed it, and she pointed me towards trail running shoes for him. She had a lot of good ideas. He has a pair of Brooks Cascades 13 and they are the best thing he has done, and usually his foot does not bother him at all.

I was so intrigued that I went looking for shoes for myself for a different issue...tendon and ligament issues in my ankle and foot related to our car accident several years ago. I was sad to discover not one manufacturer that had trail running shoes that also had a wide enough toe box to accommodate my bunions which are not terrible but do not need to be exacerbated by ill fitting shoes. So ended up buying a men's 7 in the same shoe he bought. They fit me perfectly, and for the first time in a very, very long time, I can trail walk on uneven ground without ankle or foot pain.

Carol, she is your woman! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

the green superfeet inserts are better for me than anything else I’ve tried. 

My friend's brother is a podiatrist and this is exactly what he recommends.  

12 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I was so intrigued that I went looking for shoes for myself for a different issue...tendon and ligament issues in my ankle and foot related to our car accident several years ago. I was sad to discover not one manufacturer that had trail running shoes that also had a wide enough toe box to accommodate my bunions which are not terrible but do not need to be exacerbated by ill fitting shoes. So ended up buying a men's 7 in the same shoe he bought. They fit me perfectly, and for the first time in a very, very long time, I can trail walk on uneven ground without ankle or foot pain.

I used to run in men's shoes for the same reason - I needed a bigger toe box.  Worked great.  

I have a tendon injury and my podiatrist recommends these:  https://www.amazon.com/Powerstep-Protech-Control-Insoles-6-6-5/dp/B006C6PFI8/ref=sr_1_126?dchild=1&keywords=insoles&qid=1624663393&refinements=p_72%3A1248903011&rnid=1248901011&s=hpc&sr=1-126